Training for my first 70.3 half Ironman and need to lose weight

Options
theclimb22
theclimb22 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone. I am from Philly and have always wanted to count calories and eat better. I work out regularly but still dont have the flat stomach my friends joke that I should have. Im 5'7" and 175lbs. I realized that my diet consists of too much unhealthy snacking. I just started using this app because it syncs nicely with my Garmin Fenix 3 watch which keeps track of caleries burned from my daily workouts including swimming. So far Ive learned I consume too much sodium and sugers. Keeping an acurate count of what Im eating is an eye opening experience and I know it will help me get back into shape. Good luck everyone on their weight loss journey and I look forward to learning from you.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    As a fellow triathlete - losing weight during training is hard to do without compromising your training...you may lean down but actually losing I'd recommend avoiding (as reference I'm 5'3" and 151lbs, 2x ironman, multiple 70.3's)

I'd focus on Whole Foods (I aim for an 80/20 split), adequate recovery and have fun ;)
  • theclimb22
    Options
    Thanks @deannalfisher for the great advice! I am a little familiar with the 80/20 rule and will try and eat healthiet including whole foods, lots of veggies, protein and avoiding too many processed carbs. I've done 6 Tri's including 4 Olympic distance events and am ready to make the leap to 70.3. I have always known that I need work on my diet and will keep trying. There is so much to learn!
  • theclimb22
    Options
    @deannalfisher another reason is that the wetsuit is always hard to use because it always feels too tight. I actually swim much better without it but everyone seems to use it.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    you don't HAVE to use a wetsuit - i'm a good enough swimmer that I swim as fast with and without (in fact, at times I've been faster without). if the water temp is 70 and up I've gone nekkid (I even did one with 69 with no wetsuit)...you need to figure out what works for you

most people say that because they see it as free speed, since many triathletes (in my experience) are struggling swimmers - come from a running/riding background - whereas I came from a swimming one
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    what 70.3 are you doing?
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    theclimb22 wrote: »
    I actually swim much better without it but everyone seems to use it.
    I never understood this "Cow-droppings taste fine, 20 billion flies can't be wrong"-mentality. If you swim better without wetsuit, don't use it (except if the water is too cold, that is). Triathlon is a sport of personal preferences, don't do what everybody else does, do what suits you best.

Good luck with your 70.3 (s), I'm going to do my first two olympic-distances this year.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    ^^ i agree...the benefit for me in a wetsuit is negligible, but for others it can be the difference between finishing the race and not making it out of the water - unfortunately, many people, it seems, are unprepared for the swim leg - as evidenced by many races I've been at where the water has been too warm for wetsuits and the subsequent freak out
  • theclimb22
    Options
    Thanks @Detritus_1965. I am pretty new to the sport and continue to learn from others. I have done 2 Sprints and 4 Olympic. I agree with @deannalfisher in that many people are unprepared for the swim leg. I am probably one of them. I got into swimming later in life and have always been more into biking and running. I should have been more clear on my original post and say I want to eat healthier instead of losing weight. Ive been getting better at swimming but since I only practice in the pool, the wetsuit I own feels too tight and constricting when I use it. Of the 6 Triathlons that I have done, I have used a wetsuit 4 times and struggled. When I read about this, there is an implication that I just need to practice with it more. I know there are benefits such as added speed and buoyancy and I guess thats what I was going for. I will try and get more open water time in with the wetsuit and if I still dont get the hang of it then at least I tried and will do my best either way. On that note good luck on your 2 events and remember to have fun as @deannalfisher would say. All the best!
  • Bluebrew
    Bluebrew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Which 70.3 are you doing? I am training and trying to lose weight as well.
  • k2theSo
    k2theSo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! Wish you all the best success in your training. Hope to be like you one day :)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Bluebrew wrote: »

which one are you doing? April 2 is Galveston right?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    k2theSo wrote: »
    Wow guys! Wish you all the best success in your training. Hope to be like you one day :)

that's the best thing about triathlon - anyone can do it!
  • k2theSo
    k2theSo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    k2theSo wrote: »

that's the best thing about triathlon - anyone can do it!

Even if I swim like I'm wearing an astronaut suit?!
  • theclimb22
    Options
    @Bluebrew I'm considering the Syracuse NY 70.3. Im by no means a great swimmer but I love the sport and the challenge. I would encourace anyone to try one. I did a few sprints to get introduced to the sport and I loved it. Now after trying the Olympic disctance, I want to challenge myself and do a 70.3. I am one of those people that usually trains more after I sign up for an event. I hope to sign up for Syracuse by next week. Just wish it wasnt so expensive..lol
  • Bluebrew
    Options
    Bluebrew wrote: »

which one are you doing? April 2 is Galveston right?

Yes it is. Also doing raleigh Augusta and NC
  • Bluebrew
    Options
    theclimb22 wrote: »
    @Bluebrew I'm considering the Syracuse NY 70.3. Im by no means a great swimmer but I love the sport and the challenge. I would encourace anyone to try one. I did a few sprints to get introduced to the sport and I loved it. Now after trying the Olympic disctance, I want to challenge myself and do a 70.3. I am one of those people that usually trains more after I sign up for an event. I hope to sign up for Syracuse by next week. Just wish it wasnt so expensive..lol

Swimming is my worst event. I'm hoping to break 6 hrs for NC and doing another full next year where the goal will be 12.
  • caseyjoeklein
    caseyjoeklein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing the Augusta 70.3? I am thinking about getting into it and would love some workout tips to prep.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Obviously I'm not in the same league as you peeps but I did a sprint last year and have signed up for a tri this year.

Reason being : the sprint wasn't a race, and help was there for those that needed it (in the swim), and the run could be walked. I'm doing the tri because I can walk the run. I have physical problems which prevent me running so this is a good way to 'ease' myself into it and maybe run a little bit.

After this I'll sign up for a few more sprints and move on from there.

I agree with @theclimb22, the price is prohibitive, especially if they're 4 or more hours drive away so you need accommodation as well.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oooh...triathletes!! <3
    I didn't know there were more of us here!! Adding all of you!
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm giving myself a few years to train for the Half. In the meantime, I'm going to do one of the sprint races in September - only 1/3 mi. swim, 15 mi. bike, and 3 mi. run. I can do these things individually, but haven't tried doing them consecutively. The only thing that worries me is swimming in the bay. I prefer a pool where I can see the bottom.