Why do I gain weight when eating low calorie, high volume foods, but not small calorie dense food?

Options
TurtleTop08
TurtleTop08 Posts: 25 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I weigh myself daily and have noticed a pattern along with experimenting. I've been cycling between a calorie deficit and 2 days per week of maintenance. Over the past few months I've gained around 15 pounds. Technically over 20 but I countered some of that through experimenting and now I'm at the point where I'm no longer hungry (since yesterday). I generally eat low calorie, high volume foods like plates of cooked veggies with a little bit of grains or chicken on the side, egg white omelets packed with greens, fish filets, fruit salads and the like. I've noticed on the mornings following days like this, my weight was consistently increasing daily in a linear pattern despite being in a deficit or maintenance. Eventually I was up by 10 pounds within a short amount of time. Ironically, I still fit into my clothes except my stomach was frequently distended. So I did an experiment by eating the same amount of calories except in small, calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds, clif bars, peanut butter, cheese, avocados, dried fruit, jerky and/or other stuff. My weight began going DOWN daily in a linear pattern until I was down 5 pounds (I only did this for a short amount of time). And my stomach went back to being somewhat flat, but not as flat as before the entire 10 pound weight gain because I went back to eating low-calorie high volume foods except decreased my calorie allowance even more and stopped the occasional maintenance for a couple weeks. My weight began going up daily again (except a little bit slower). Then I went back to small, calorie dense foods and the weight went back down again. Something weird is going on. I'm now up another 10 pounds which is a total of 15 from a few months ago from the start of this problem. I want to do the whole small, calorie dense thing again but it's harder to stay full on it despite the same calories. And it's weird how despite being 15 pounds heavier, I don't look it at all. My clothes fit exactly the same (with the exception of the front of my pants/button with the frequent stomach distention). What is going on with this "phantom weight?" Oh, another thing to add. My weight also went back down when I did a liquid diet for a week (same amount of calories)...until I went back to low, calorie high volume.

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

Have you been pmsing?

My weight watchers leader claimed that sometimes you need to eat more calories to lose weight because it gives the body more energy to burn calories. It made sense to me, but I'm pretty sure the people here would disagree.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Plus, I tend to bloat or put on weight when I eat things like bread or certain amounts of sodium
  • TurtleTop08
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

Have you been pmsing?

My weight watchers leader claimed that sometimes you need to eat more calories to lose weight because it gives the body more energy to burn calories. It made sense to me, but I'm pretty sure the people here would disagree.

I've been eating enough. I was eating the same amounts throughout the entire time. Just in different volume and either solids or liquids. And yes I weigh my food.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all that because it is one big paragraph and I haven't finished my coffee.

You know food as weight, right? I eat high volume. Very heavy vegetables. I can eat over a head of lettuce, a whole cucumber, a couple of tomatoes, and even more veg in a day. It's heavy.

When I needed to cut weight for a powerlifting weigh in, I did not eat high volume the day before. I ate higher fat and lighter foods (actually, like pretzels and stuff). I weighed in less than typical the next day.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Also, have you been having regular BMs?
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just guessing here, but I would say the difference is water. High volume foods typically have a higher water content. If your body is holding on to that water, your weight goes up and your stomach appears distended due to bloating.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You need to tell us your height, weight, age, calories per day, activity, and I don't even know if you're trying to gain or lose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your plates of veggies, etc likely weighed more than your seeds, etc.

Other than that you've done way too much switching back and forth on things to make any sense of what you wrote. Try something consistently for a month before making changes.
  • TurtleTop08
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Because you are eating more calories overall when you eat the bigger meals.

I'm not. My bigger meals consists of mainly vegetables. Smaller ones consists of mainly peanut butter, nuts, and cheese. And again, I even furthered my experiment by going lower than a recommended 500 deficit. Weight loss/gain is not supposed to be linear for weeks in a row. And my weight gain didn't show physically except a bloated gut (and gas, constipation, etc). It's gotten to the point where my appetite is gone for some reason.

• TurtleTop08
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

No. Once a week :( and idk why. I drink lots of water and get enough fiber from veggies. I didn't even eat today yet and it feels like I just ate a big meal. I'm STILL full from last night even though the meal was less than 300 calories and primarily vegetables steamed in broth.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    http://m.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

Notice the grams listed for various foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your body weight fluctuates naturally...it's not a matter of I ate this and then this happened...body weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day...more/less waste in your system...fluctuations in water weight, etc.

Perhaps you shouldn't weigh in daily if you don't understand these things.
  • bbell1985
    Options

No. Once a week :( and idk why. I drink lots of water and get enough fiber from veggies. I didn't even eat today yet and it feels like I just ate a big meal. I'm STILL full from last night even though the meal was less than 300 calories and primarily vegetables steamed in broth.

Yeah. Take a look at your diet and see if you can fix it. I was only going once per week as well and it was horrible. Kids at school asked me if I was pregnant. Are you getting enough FAT to go along with that fiber? Minimum is .35 per pound of body weight. If you have a lot of fiber, you might need more.

Then look at something you may have added in the past 6 months or so.

You might need to take something if you don't feel well from not going. I needed to but didn't want to start depending on laxatives so went to the GI doc. I'm literally on medication so I can go to the bathroom now. Sucks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You should probably see a doctor about that...once per week isn't remotely normal.
  • kg319
    kg319 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer the question about regular BMs, but my first thought was plates of veggies = lots of fiber, not much fat. Butter, nuts and cheese = more fat not much fiber. If you're not used to lots of fiber that could stop you up and make you feel distended until you get used to it. Try upping your water to get things moving and having more balanced meals.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sometimes food allergies do not necessarily present themselves as obvious stomach upset / pain. And, if you're eating something you've always eaten in the past, since you were a kid, you may not make the connection if, for whatever reason, you've become more sensitive to something now. An allergy can cause the symptoms you describe.

To share my experience: I always had belly fat and joint pain, since my 20s. After every doctor you could imagine and neurotically weighing and measuring food / counting calories with no results, I went to an acupuncturist in desperation. My entire body throbbed; I remember thinking I'd never make it to my 30s if I had to live like this. The acupuncturist told me to stop eating grains. This is 20 years ago when "healthy eating" was brown rice, whole wheat this, that, and whatever, and the idea of it sounded weird since I grew up on pasta. I never had the traditional symptoms of celiac, but when I stopped grains, breads my pain disappeared after a few weeks as did my belly. (And I replaced the grains with other foods; it wasn't a calorie deficit.)

• eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    maybe it's a food allergy/intolerance ...is there a common food you are eating that makes you feel this way? I can't eat many raw veggies because i feel bloated and my intestines feel like they are all knotted up when I do. it can be really painful.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Because you are eating more calories overall when you eat the bigger meals.

I'm not. My bigger meals consists of mainly vegetables. Smaller ones consists of mainly peanut butter, nuts, and cheese. And again, I even furthered my experiment by going lower than a recommended 500 deficit. Weight loss/gain is not supposed to be linear for weeks in a row. And my weight gain didn't show physically except a bloated gut (and gas, constipation, etc). It's gotten to the point where my appetite is gone for some reason.

Retained food waste sounds like the likely culprit here.

Edit: I see other people have also chimed in with this answer. Honestly, it's what I thought just from reading your initial post. You need fat and fiber to keep things moving.