Exercise-Induced Migraines

Options
I am looking to see if anyone has any advice or can share their experiences with this frustrating topic!

Recently I have been experiencing exercise-induced migraines towards the end of my workouts. It does not occur after every workout but around twice a month, which is still enough to halt my day. It begins with vision auras and the rest is downhill with nausea, vomiting and head pain.

I have been serious in the gym for about 1 1/2 years. There has not been any drastic changes in my workout routine, sleep, or diet. I am 5'8'' 135 and currently consuming around 2,200 at maintenance. I strength train 5 days/week (75-90 min) with 2 steady state cardio sessions thrown in. I train in the morning after having a large bowl of oatmeal with protein and a banana (around 60g C and 20 P). I consume around 32-50 oz of water during my workout.

I never experienced migraines this frequently before, maybe once per year and not pinpointed to exercise.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Any pattern about what triggers them? Specific exercises? Beth's migraines airways happen when she's dehydrated, could that be a factor in yours?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Consult a doctor. Migraines can be indicative of other health issues, and not something to mess around with. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long has this happened? Not sure what 'recently' is for something that happens 2x month.
  • amandaanneryan
    amandaanneryan Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The last two times was after a leg workout and while on the stairmaster. Perhaps I think I am drinking enough water but maybe it is not enough? This just started happening the last month and a half. I am going to incorporate a mid workout snack. Maybe my blood sugar is too low towards the end of my workout
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to get exercise induced migraines after particularly hard cardio - mine appeared to be very closely related with hydration levels. Suffered mostly after long/hard squash games where I wasn't drinking so started taking a bottle on court and consciously over-hydrating around and during the workout.

If you are a particularly "sweaty Betty" then maybe worth trying an electrolyte tablet in your fluids?
    A migraine diary isn't a bad idea to spot triggers and guide your experimentation. Good luck.

I'm far less susceptible to both migraines and hydration levels now but the "cure" seemed to be related to getting old! :)
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When you say "twice a month," is it usually around peaks in your cycle? Like ovulation and TOM? If so, it could be hormone-related. Have you had a full physical and BP check to rule out high BP? There are so many triggers for migraines. So, you need to talk to your doctor about this issue. He might be able to prescribe preventive meds and some that help stop migraines when they happen.

I hate that you're experiencing this. I have hormonal migraines, and they are awful!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I get them towards the end of my botox cycle from strength training. I can't lift at all right now until I get my injections.

How's your electrolyte balance? One thing I've noticed is that a cup of broth has made me feel a lot better. Try hydrating with a non calorie sports drink during your workouts.

Also, how's your meal timing with your workouts? I can do fasted cardio but can't do fasted lifting. That's just asking for a migraine to happen.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am looking to see if anyone has any advice or can share their experiences with this frustrating topic!

Recently I have been experiencing exercise-induced migraines towards the end of my workouts. It does not occur after every workout but around twice a month, which is still enough to halt my day. It begins with vision auras and the rest is downhill with nausea, vomiting and head pain.

I have been serious in the gym for about 1 1/2 years. There has not been any drastic changes in my workout routine, sleep, or diet. I am 5'8'' 135 and currently consuming around 2,200 at maintenance. I strength train 5 days/week (75-90 min) with 2 steady state cardio sessions thrown in. I train in the morning after having a large bowl of oatmeal with protein and a banana (around 60g C and 20 P). I consume around 32-50 oz of water during my workout.

I never experienced migraines this frequently before, maybe once per year and not pinpointed to exercise.

At some point I had perpetual headaches every leg day. Exactly as you've described...i would finish my last few sets of squats and find myself in a general tizzy and a huge headache. This never lasted long, maybe half hour after my workout but still no fun.

For me, it ended up being the pre workout I had been taking combined with movements that required me to hold my breath for big effort weights. Who would have known.. Stimulants plus already elevated blood pressure from lifting plus holding your breath for a few big squat reps could mess things up so much! Especially because I never ever have problems with stims in the past, but it's a clear indicator I am no longer 18. Sadface.

I recommend getting off the pre workout for a while, try not to slam big coffees before working out, and remember to breathe efficiently during high stress periods in the gym!
  • amandaanneryan
    Options
    aelunyu wrote: »

At some point I had perpetual headaches every leg day. Exactly as you've described...i would finish my last few sets of squats and find myself in a general tizzy and a huge headache. This never lasted long, maybe half hour after my workout but still no fun.

For me, it ended up being the pre workout I had been taking combined with movements that required me to hold my breath for big effort weights. Who would have known.. Stimulants plus already elevated blood pressure from lifting plus holding your breath for a few big squat reps could mess things up so much! Especially because I never ever have problems with stims in the past, but it's a clear indicator I am no longer 18. Sadface.

I recommend getting off the pre workout for a while, try not to slam big coffees before working out, and remember to breathe efficiently during high stress periods in the gym!

I will focus more on breathing, which I usually do but it may have been a couple times where I did not get a full breathe. I did start taking a pre workout a couple of months ago but I am stopping it now because that did come to my mind as a possible trigger. Thank you!
  • amandaanneryan
    Options
    I get them towards the end of my botox cycle from strength training. I can't lift at all right now until I get my injections.

How's your electrolyte balance? One thing I've noticed is that a cup of broth has made me feel a lot better. Try hydrating with a non calorie sports drink during your workouts.

Also, how's your meal timing with your workouts? I can do fasted cardio but can't do fasted lifting. That's just asking for a migraine to happen.

Yeah I can never train fasted either! I wake up, have a meal about 60C 20P 10F, and head to the gym within an hour. I may need to give myself a little more time to digest.
  • ThrowingWeights7
    Options
    To repeat what a lot are saying here has to do with hydration. It's usually the night before that helps to hydrate the next day's muscles. Of course you also need a consistent steady amount of water throughout the day. On a side note, most muscle tears result from dehydration. Water is vitally important as well as blood sugar. I found that eating a fruit 30-60 min before workout helps.
  • amandaanneryan
    Options
    To repeat what a lot are saying here has to do with hydration. It's usually the night before that helps to hydrate the next day's muscles. Of course you also need a consistent steady amount of water throughout the day. On a side note, most muscle tears result from dehydration. Water is vitally important as well as blood sugar. I found that eating a fruit 30-60 min before workout helps.

Typically I have a total of 1 1/2 gallon of water per day. I am going to try to intake more water when I wake up prior to going to the gym since I do workout within 1.5 hours of waking up. Thanks!
  • amandaanneryan
    Options
    When you say "twice a month," is it usually around peaks in your cycle? Like ovulation and TOM? If so, it could be hormone-related. Have you had a full physical and BP check to rule out high BP? There are so many triggers for migraines. So, you need to talk to your doctor about this issue. He might be able to prescribe preventive meds and some that help stop migraines when they happen.

I hate that you're experiencing this. I have hormonal migraines, and they are awful!

Good point! I will definitely keep a diary to see if it is happening around my cycle. Ugh!