Have you asked WHY you overeat?

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The only times I've really overeaten ...

1) Moving ... the whole process of packing up the house and moving is time consuming, plus the kitchen usually ends up being half packed, so we end up going the takeaway method. We're usually also trying to get rid of some of the food so we don't have to pack it, so early in the packing stage I'll go on a cake baking spree to get rid of cake mixes, and later we might have big bowls of cereal for dinner to get rid of that, and so on. Moving is a messy time when it comes to food.

2) Prolonged illness ... like recovering from surgery or DVT or something. I usually end up going with comfortable convenient food for a while.

3) Going through a transition from being very active to less active ... like when I developed DVT. I went from cycling 1000 km the previous month to nothing the next month. It takes a little while to adjust the diet appropriately

4) Travel ... I put on the most weight I've ever done on an 8-month Round-the-World trip. Too much good food out there!! :):)
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A lot mine is habits, and I have had my own lightbulb moment when I read some books about the psychology of habits. I have learnt to understand the different parts of my brain that literally argue with me. I never understood how I could repeatedly undermine myself by making crap choices despite all I know about nutrition etc.

The bad habit, immediate-gratification CHIMP brain always over-rides my calm, sensible knowledgeble HUMAN brain. I have started to control the chimp and things are looking much better.
  • caimay10
    caimay10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These answers are all so insightful. I'm learning that I have to identify the void I'm trying to fill by eating despite knowing I'm hurting myself, break some habits that are deeply ingrained, and figuring out how to eat moving forward, whether I count calories or simply focus on eating foods that will nourish my body and not worry too much about specific amounts, but pay attention to hunger. Spending my Sunday working on this!

Wondering how much eating should be for enjoyment vs fuel. For examply, once every couple of weeks I go for a McDonalds after dance class with friends. Should I be making a conscious effort to remove that from my life? Since I wouldn't say that I overeat during that time. The times I overeat are when I'm alone, and normally at home.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    caimay10 wrote: »
    These answers are all so insightful. I'm learning that I have to identify the void I'm trying to fill by eating despite knowing I'm hurting myself, break some habits that are deeply ingrained, and figuring out how to eat moving forward, whether I count calories or simply focus on eating foods that will nourish my body and not worry too much about specific amounts, but pay attention to hunger. Spending my Sunday working on this!

Wondering how much eating should be for enjoyment vs fuel.
    I have found this question especially interesting. I used to think I had to choose between the two (aka "live to eat" vs "eat to live"), and that my "wants" would always be in conflict with my "needs". It's not like that at all (for me). Now that I'm mindful about my intake (mindful, as opposed to worried, which I used to be), never force myself to eat food I don't like; actually, I make an effort to compose meals I want, and portions are more suitable to my stomach, I enjoy my food more, and I eat to feel good short term and long term. I won't overeat because I don't like the feeling of "stuffed", and because I know that I can choose to stop before that happens, not because I'm scared I'll gain weight. And because I know I can stop whenever I want, the stress/compulsive eating has also stopped completely. This attitude change has made an enormous difference to how easy it is to stick to my plans.

For examply, once every couple of weeks I go for a McDonalds after dance class with friends. Should I be making a conscious effort to remove that from my life? Since I wouldn't say that I overeat during that time. The times I overeat are when I'm alone, and normally at home.
    Don't cut out social eating, especially when it's the solitary eating that's difficult.

I have learnt a lot from a lot of people, including this from Ellyn Satter:
    What is Normal Eating?
    Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eat it and truly get enough of it -not just stop eating because you think you should. Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.

For more about eating competence (and for research backing up this advice), see Ellyn Satter's Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook, Kelcy Press, 2008. Also see www.EllynSatterInstitute.org/store to purchase books and to review other resources.

©2016 by Ellyn Satter published at www.EllynSatterInstitute.org.

- See more at: http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/whatisnormaleating.php#sthash.ZAgi9Brl.dpuf
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Wondering how much eating should be for enjoyment vs fuel. For example, once every couple of weeks I go for a McDonalds after dance class with friends. Should I be making a conscious effort to remove that from my life? Since I wouldn't say that I overeat during that time. The times I overeat are when I'm alone, and normally at home.

I wouldn't worry about McDonalds. It's not necessarily healthy to remove everything.

In fact, I've recently found it really wasn't. I just came out of a slump of restricting things too much because I wasn't seeing results (turns out to be there was a food item that I was using incorrect data to log and it had me eating at maintenance when I meant to be losing) and that restriction in both calories and my food environment triggered rebound behavior on my part. In loosening the reins and allowing myself the freedom to sometimes make what is a bad choice (my pantry is now full of treats I can have since I have certain food intolerances not shared by other family members), I've actually been making better choices.

You'll find what your triggers are as you move along the path. It's not all something you work out at once. It's an ongoing process.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Wondering how much eating should be for enjoyment vs fuel. For examply, once every couple of weeks I go for a McDonalds after dance class with friends. Should I be making a conscious effort to remove that from my life? Since I wouldn't say that I overeat during that time. The times I overeat are when I'm alone, and normally at home.

I'd say to keep your McDonald's dates. For me (maybe not for you?) eating socially is much better, healthier than eating alone. Maybe it's similar to the old rule about not drinking alone, though I'm not trying to equate alcoholism to overeating.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Boredom, stress, and depression are my reasons. They are usually all connected, but boredom is my worst enemy. I can draw when stressed, and I can sleep when depressed.. but boredom seems to automatically seek out food stuffs.
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Eating should always be for fuel.

That being said, sometimes you can still go out with friends just for enjoyment. There are times where I'll go to a restaurant with friends and get nothing at all (or just get a tea, or a small salad).

You've already realized that you eat worse when you're alone. There are a couple ways to work around that:
    1) Don't be alone as often. Make an effort to be social!
    2) Don't keep anything around at home that's too unhealthy. That way, if you find the urge to binge eat, it'll at least be healthy, filling foods.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree that answerinv why obese people overeat is too much of a generalization. There are many different reasons. As is saying why slim people don't. There is a tendency on this site for people to think that slim people work at being slim, but a lot of them don't to be honest. They don't really think about it.
    The whole 'I love food' explanation is nonsense too. Because the people I know who eat/cook the most amazing food are all normal weights. And they don't work out. But they eat in amazing restaurants and cure their own bacon and generally don't eat food just because it's there or in chain restaurants.
    I truly believe that overweight people spend to much time thinking about food and slim people don't. If you obsess about anything it becomes a problem. For example, I love having sex but if I spent all day thinking about it and how to get it it would become an issue.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing how uncomfortable I've become with boredom, or even just lack of stimulation. It's hard to be in boring situations (like listening to a training webinar or even an in-person class on a super dry subject). It's hard to have nothing to do for a while and no way to escape it. And so I introduce stimulation by being on my phone, and by eating. It's the same issue in two forms.

And then there's just habit. It's evening, the kids are in bed, so ice cream.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the fact that I like beer.

But if I drink all the beer I like, I will gain weight. It, alas, needs to be less often especially in my "off season" from cycling.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Of course I have thought about how I let my life and my body get so much out of control. The major reason is that I was majorly depressed. I have experienced a lot of childhood drama in my life and I pretty much did not think that I was important enough to take care of myself. I was abusing myself and I allowed others to abuse me. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind I did not think I could do better and I dont think I really cared.
    It took me 45 years to realize that I do matter and that if I dont care about and take care of myself then nobody else will because it is not their job. It makes me sad when I think of all the years I neglected myself, but I am proud of how far I have come.
    I still have a ways to go, but I damn sure am not where I was. Peace and blessings.