Down 162 pounds but Struggling

Options
Bundyman
Bundyman Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2017 in Success Stories
I'm proud of my success to date and certainly a lot of the progress is due to my use of the MyFitnessPal app and the calorie counting.

Lately though I've been slipping back into old habits and the weight isn't dropping as I'd like it to. I know the reason for this is completely my fault with a lack of willpower and self control. I'm going to do everything I can to continue towards the healthiest me possible. I started at 448 pounds and I'm currently at 285 pounds but I know I can do even better.

Thanks to all of you for your continued encouragement and motivating posts. We're going to reach our goals.4bcqd8lnop0y.jpg

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of taking a break from counting calories? You've done so well!!
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    162.9 lbs lost?? Holy smokes that is such a fantastic progress!! Congratulations on getting where you are now. Keep up the amazing work, you are capable of achieving everything if you just put your mind to it. 162.9 pounds are the best proof of that ;)
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Incredible! Just a bump in the road for you, very inspirational.
  • devinnn0728
    devinnn0728 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You have accomplished so much! Be proud of yourself!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Your success thus far is absolutely inspiring. You might just set small goals for now, 10 lbs at a time and then celebrate each 10-lb success with a concrete (non-food, of course) reward. The weight loss slows as we get closer and closer to our goal, but you have a lifetime of healthy eating ahead of you, so there's no rush. You can get yourself back on track, go for it!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Evaluate the habits you find yourself slipping back into and pick one to overcome. Then work at it. Then another. Even in onederland, you can't stop learning how to do this.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I lose focus it's because my goal is no longer compelling to me. For me, the goal of just losing pounds or clothing sizes isn't enough. Fitness goals do it, though. I sign up for races or challenges in various sports, and then train and eat properly to make the most of the training. It renews my focus every three months or so. I didn't do any events last year and gained 20 lbs back. I have a race next weekend that I've been training for since October, and I'm losing again. I have three more events on the schedule to get me through the year.

SW 248
    CW 209
    GW 185

What's your goal, and is it compelling? Do you need a new one?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a maintenance break? You've done great work. Dieting is stressful and as you lose those leptin levels really decrease and you may feel hungry or frustrated. Taking two weeks of maintenance can be good for mind and body, might increase leptin levels again, gives your practice logging very accurately again (you don't want to get into a surplus so you should feel like you really need to buckle down), and it erases that guilt that you are over eating.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey there! First of all you are a SUPERSTAR for what you have already accomplished .... I mean I have to take a min and let that sink in wow! You have come reeeeeally far!
    Maybe it's time to join a gym and invest in a trainer for a little bit. Not sure if you are currently exercising? If not.... it can be one of the most life changing things you do and investing in a decent trainer is often an overlooked key to success for beginners good luck!!!! Keep on keepin on!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When there is a lot to lose, I swear the body does a rebel once in a while and just stops dead in its tracks.

The boredom is real too.

I hit a wall where I got dead tired of salads. This was after a month of eating home grown salads from my garden trying to keep ahead of the garden. Well, duh. The regular store veggies could just not compete. I switched to winter veggies and I broke my boredom and my wall.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Man - you have done so well.

It must be very hard to keep motivated for so long, but you have done it. You already showed that amazing strength of will. Maybe it is hard to keep giving yourself kudos for the "same thing" but it is a massive thing and you deserve to feel super-proud of yourself and try not to fall into the trap of taking your achievements for granted. Keep taking pride in what you have accomplished.

I hope you can find ways to refocus.

Partly I think the realisation that being careful really is FOR EVER is really daunting ... I have struggled with that myself over the years.

But, you know what life is like when you are very obese, and you don't want to slide back to that ... so being careful IS your only option - really!

• mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Will power isn't really as effective as people think. It's a lot more about building habits that you can feel good about. Ask yourself this - what's changed between when you felt really great and like you were on the right track... and now? You may find that other areas of your life are suffering and negative emotions (boredom, sadness, frustration) are what's causing your relapse. If there doesn't appear to be a definite cause, consider changing up your routine or making a new goal. I find that when I'm really aggravated or demoralized about my weight, I can shift my focus to exercise or productivity (keep counting calories, but focus your journey less of weight loss and more on muscle gain, fitness, getting out and about, etc.). Usually this jumps starts my weight loss, not because I'm doing something scientific or magical, but because I've reinvigorated my interest in health.

I hope you find yourself motivated again soon :) Congratulations on your amazing progress so far!
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job! Be proud of yourself. Remember that making good food choices is a habit. If you forgot to brush your teeth one time, you would never then give up on brushing for the next week or two. Instead, you would go right back to it.
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just want to wish you luck on the next part... I have enormous respect for what you have achieved so far, and I hope that things get better for you.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow! You lost a whole person!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Congrats on that HUGE achievement! I think you are bored with what you have been doing and boredom leads to complacency. It is time to change it up. The body and mind adapt quickly so you must constantly seek out new challenges and goals. Set small goals, change your food, and change your exercise.

Some suggested taking a diet/maintenance break. It's a great idea but ONLY if you can reign it in after the break. If you are already eating healthily, eating at maintenance is eating the same healthy way, just larger portions. It is not a free-for-all time to eat junk. I would also have a start date to resume the regular lower calorie eating. Good luck! Losing weight is hard, but I think maintaining it is harder. Should you decide to do it, it will be good practice for when you get to goal weight. You have done an amazing job so far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!