Calorie Question

Options
So I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. It's just stated the same. I stick to my 1420 calories that mfp gives me. I weigh everything and spend Sunday's getting everything weighed and prepped for the week ahead. I workout 6 days a week. 30 minutes of cardio each morning which is usually a run and then every day after work I do weight lifting. Could it be that I am not eating enough?? Especially with my lifting weights. I am just so confused and really trying not to get discouraged. Any advice?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new for you, or a significant increase over what you were doing before? Increased exercise can cause water retention that temporarily masks weight loss. If it's new, give yourself another two weeks or so to adjust.

Or, are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is designed for you to do so, but sometimes the estimates can be off. If you're eating them back, where are you getting the calorie burn estimate from (MFP or a cardio machine readout)?
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am not eating back any of my exercise calories. My goal set by mfp is 1420. I don't ever eat my exercise calories back.
  • newwed412
    Options
    No not really on the new exercises. I have been running for 6 weeks and my weight lifting hasn't changed except for the amount weight I lift and my reps. I wear a Fitbit, but I never eat back my exercise calories because I am never sure how accurate that actually is.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's been two weeks, give it a month at least. And you can eat back your exercise calories - since MFP tends to over exaggerate the burn, most people eat 25-50% of their calories back.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to eatback exercise calories even though most only eat back 50% since MFP over estimates the burn.

Is it TOM? This can effect your loss on a scale. Also, weight loss is not linear. Therefore you may not see a loss every week.

Have you taken measurements? These can show a change in your body even when the scale doesn't
  • Afura
    Options
    fmfrlum5ogxp.jpg
    Here we go, my favorite chart for MFP - I keep a saved copy to remind me when I start to see weight loss slow down.
  • newwed412
    Options
    No it not my TOM. I am going to take my measurements tomorrow and see if there has been any change.

I keep telling myself that the number on the scale doesn't matter because I feel so much better. But it's still discouraging.
  • Afura
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    No it not my TOM. I am going to take my measurements tomorrow and see if there has been any change.

I keep telling myself that the number on the scale doesn't matter because I feel so much better. But it's still discouraging.

Do you take body measurements? Those are vastly more accurate than the scale. Also if you feel better, well proof is in the pudding!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If the weight training is new there could be water retention from muscle repair...could also be ovulation or sodium intake.

Are you remembering to count cooking oils, condiments, creamers, etc...making sure the meat calories match for raw/cooked?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You can do everything perfectly and some weeks the scale won't move. Also Your total weight is not just fat, so sometimes stuff like water weight fluctuations can mask fat loss. If you're confident you are logging correctly, just be patient :)
  • jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try restricting lower for a few days and see if anything changes.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    If it has only been 2 weeks at the same weight then it is probably just a coincidence. Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks will be up, some will be down. Occasionally you will get the same weight. If you were weighing daily you would see that your weight has been going up and down all week. The trend is what is important. If you are weighing weekly there will be some weeks that it looks like you aren't losing even if you are. You said it isn't TOM for you. Lots of women retain water when they are ovulating. It could still be water retention due to your cycle. The best thing to do is just be patient. But don't increase your calories. If you are not losing weight it is not because you are not eating enough..
  • Afura
    Options
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    Try restricting lower for a few days and see if anything changes.

Aww no. :frowning: A few days of trying something else and seeing either an up or down can just be body weight fluctuations. It takes time to see changes.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I tend to go a while and then suddenly drop. Usually it's closer to one week before a drop, but it has been two. My weight loss graph looks more like a set of stairs than a straight line :smiley:
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, you just got started
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple more weeks, follow the flowchart posted above. I found daily weigh ins help (I know they are not for everyone) me see how my hormones and diet affect my weight day in/day out. I can be a couple of pounds up or down every other day but when I look at the big picture I have lost weight, I can see from pictures I've taken as well as on the scale now that I am a couple of months in.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, it can't be that you aren't eating enough. Have you thought about why you would ask if you are eating too little rather than ask whether you are exercising too much? Both are two sides of the same coin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stop losing 2 weeks before TOM.
  • rdc1913
    rdc1913 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because of your cardio and weight lifting you could be building muscles and losing fat. Muscles weigh more than fat (or should I say muscles have a greater density than fat). Check your progress by taking body measurements instead of weighing on the scale. Good Luck!