Conflicting diets in our house

Options
I have a diet conflict in my house.

My husband is tall and lean (high metabolism, avid runner). He has weighed the same since we met 15 years ago. I have gained about 35 lbs since we met. I've been trying to lose weight since beginning of January and I'm doing pretty well. I have been working on increasing my protein and lowering my carbs because I'm a carb lover, but it's hard. I'm gradually learning and trying to implement.

My husband is actively running daily. He's in training and he wants high carb and lower protein meals.

We also have two elementary age kids, one of whom is underweight due to medication (although the doctor isn't concerned). He's just tall and skinny like his daddy.

How in the world do we plan meals we can all eat? I don't want to cook multiple dinners. I want my kids to get a well balanced meal. I still want to lose weight. Husband wants to eat high carbs.

Suggestions?

Replies

• regankles
    regankles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make a side of rice, pasta, bread, or potatoes etc with meals for ypur husband and kids if they can't make their own
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I jokingly told my husband I would cook the same meals and I would eat all the meat and he could eat all the starchy carbs.
  • mommaonthatmission
    Options
    You can microwave a potato or sweet potato in the mircowave for 8 mins, give the hubby the carbs, super easy
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's hard to explain but I portion my stuff out before I finish up the full meal. That makes it easier for me to stay on task.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Multi-component meals. e.g. Meat + potato + vegetable(s) You get meat + vegetables (and a small serving of potato if you like). Hubby gets lots of everything. Child who needs to gain weight gets lots of everything. Other child gets appropriate portions of everything. Add bread and butter as a side for them, if they still need more fuel.

My husband maintains on 50% more calories than I do (plus I'm in weightloss mode) - and we have two toddlers to feed. We all eat the same food; we just have different portions (and sometimes one or both toddlers passes on an item they don't yet like). I have more salad/veggies; he has more of the more calorie dense stuff. Plus he snacks a lot more than I do - and snacks on quite calorie dense food.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    Your husband needs protein too to rebuild muscles. Make one meal, and adjust portion size to fit the different people. Also, you probably have two meals and snacks that you don't cook for others that you can tweak for yourself.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use to cook meals for family and I'd usually make my meals separate but only because I enjoy cooking so much. I'm a little odd xD

Lately though, I've slowly started making them low carb meals and just not told them they're low carb and they still eat them and love them. Perhaps make low carb dinners and if he doesn't like it, tell him it's up to him to add carbs and protein into his diet throughout the day, or make a side dish which suits his needs.

I made a BLT wrap 700calories with only 5 gms carbs for my partner yesterday, He really enjoyed it. Then for dinner I made a really nice slow cooked chicken soup with some veges. Also low carb. I cooked some garlic bread to have on the side but i didn't eat it and i cooked some Udon noodles on the side if anyone wanted to have noodles in their soup. That worked out pretty well too =)

I also do the same with pasta now. I'll make a low carb, high fat sauce then while I'm cooking the sauce I make 2 batches of "pasta", one with normal noodles and one with shirataki ( low/no carb, noodles). It's only 1 extra pot to wash and it's not much more effort.

Lastly, If your hubby want's you to plan his meals, I wouldn't. If he want's a certain diet, he should at least try to manage it himself. You can help him with a meal a day or give him some options but If he wants you to do it with all his food, I wouldn't, that would be way too stressful.
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lastly, If your hubby want's you to plan his meals, I wouldn't. If he want's a certain diet, he should at least try to manage it himself. You can help him with a meal a day or give him some options but If he wants you to do it with all his food, I wouldn't, that would be way too stressful.

I wouldn't say he expects me to plan all his meals, but I tend to plan all the dinner meals for the week. He does his own breakfast and lunch. He makes the kids' breakfast and I make their lunches. We alternate who cooks dinner, but I usually plan dinner.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I am making his food I just cook two things. It's worth it to me to get what I want and be in control.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd make meals that consist of separate components - everyone can put together their own meal that suits their goals.