1000-1200 calories per day = NO weight loss

Options
So, every Google result says the reason I am not losing weight is because I am eating too much. I am either miscalculating my calorie intake, or downright lying to myself about what I'm eating. I AM NOT!!! I am 155 lb, until 2 weeks ago I was averaging around 2500-3000 cals a day. The last 2 weeks - over 1000 cals less per day, and the 'cleanest' I've ever eaten in my life - fruit, veg/plain salad, nuts (no more than 25g per day) and occasional fish. What is going on???? I'm 43, 4 years post-surgical menopause... 2 years ago I was at 184lb, I got down to 136 in 10 months. Then, within a year back up to 155 (completely understandable and my own fault!). Should I get my thyroid checked?!

I am so fed up, how can I stay motivated?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks, you wont lose it in 2 weeks... be more patient.

and start eating at a reasonable calorie deficit, not just 1000 cals, you're not helping yourself in the long run.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You don't mention using a food scale. You can eat as "clean" as you like but you can still overeat that type of food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you are using a food scale for ALL solids, you are under estimating how much you are eating.
  • carriefeltham
    carriefeltham Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that doesn't come straight out if a labelled packet (I buy pre-packed veggies and fruit). I thought, maybe it's 'water-weight' - but surely there should be some underlying loss?
  • carriefeltham
    Options
    you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks, you wont lose it in 2 weeks... be more patient.

Is a couple of lb too much to ask? I'm not very good at waiting, but I know you're right!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you eating sufficient protein and fats? You mention minimal fat (nuts) and occasional protein (fish)....
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pre-menopause I could lose weight easily with a 'clean eating' detox type plan, as you are describing above, reliably. Fast forward 3 years and it just didn't work anymore. Moreover, I was gaining weight with a lots less food and equal exercise. The only thing that worked for me was looking at hormone related changes in metabolism & inflammation (my thyroid was fine). This led me to low-carb, keto-type eating and it worked. Not for everyone, definitely, but it's all that works for me. Never hungry and more energy than I've had in years. Sometimes it's not as simple as CICO. (diving for cover, now!)
  • carriefeltham
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am really struggling with protein (vegetarian as I just don't like meat - the fish has been a struggle after all these years!) but my fats are apparently in range...
  • carriefeltham
    edited February 2017
    Options
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Pre-menopause I could lose weight easily with a 'clean eating' detox type plan, as you are describing above, reliably. Fast forward 3 years and it just didn't work anymore. Moreover, I was gaining weight with a lots less food and equal exercise. The only thing that worked for me was looking at hormone related changes in metabolism & inflammation (my thyroid was fine). This led me to low-carb, keto-type eating and it worked. Not for everyone, definitely, but it's all that works for me. Never hungry and more energy than I've had in years. Sometimes it's not as simple as CICO. (diving for cover, now!)

Thank you for this - I will do some research. The frustrating thing is, to achieve the big weight loss last time I lived on plain digestive biscuits and crisps, with a regular chocolate bar. I really want to be healthy, not just smaller!
  • homeschoolmom77
    homeschoolmom77 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation with the same surgery 4 years ago (I think, time flies). I have found for me when I cut back my body holds on to the weight and sometimes even gain, even though I have cut back, for a couple of weeks to even 5 weeks or more. Then all of the sudden, when I am ready to just scream and give up the weight starts to come off. I find I plateau more often and struggle with some of the very 'normal' ways to loose weight. I have also found that it is hormonal, and the more I stress about loosing the less I loose. I lost 25 pounds right after surgery and kept it off for a year. Now, after a year of not tracking and not paying attention, it is time to loose some again. I am taking it a little differently this time. Because I know the first couple of months are not the best for me I am learning habits, not focusing on the loss as much, don't get me wrong, the loss is still wonderful when it comes and I am still hoping for it. But sometimes if we can get into the habits of better eating and exercise without the stress it helps someone in our situation. Friend me if you want someone to walk this journey with you. I am just starting again, and am in the same situation, we can support each other. Good luck and don't give up. You can do this, it just takes time. You will figure it out.
  • carriefeltham
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Homeschoolmom, I really appreciate your reply - hormones arrrgghhhh!

I've even considered taking the ert my doc keeps insisting on...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you have hypothyroidism your whole body slows down. That means you are more sluggish than most people, you do less, and as a result you burn fewer calories. If you are accurately tracking how much you are doing then there is no reason that hypothyroidism would cause you to retain weight.

Whatever your problem is, accurately tracking calories in and calories out will ensure that you are eating at a calorie deficit.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there, I know it's discouraging. I was on 1200 calories for quite some time and I would have long periods of the scale not moving. It's not like when I was younger. It is so hard to be "so good" and not see some reward on the scale. But it will happen. Don't give up.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that doesn't come straight out if a labelled packet (I buy pre-packed veggies and fruit). I thought, maybe it's 'water-weight' - but surely there should be some underlying loss?

Weigh the food that comes out of a packet as well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    In two weeks, at your weight, maybe you can lose up to 2-3 pounds of fat. Your body's total weight also fluctuates up to 2-3 pounds daily. This means that you need to eat at a calorie deficit for a lot longer than two weeks and have a lot more than three weigh-ins, to see any results, definitely, on the scale.

For 2 weeks, have you been eating 1000-1200, or 1500-2000 calories, per day? Occasional calorie deficit has little impact on your weight, you need to consistently eat less than you burn. Food choices has zero direct impact on your weight, but can have a great impact on your willingness and ability to stick to a calorie deficit.

If you suspect hypothyroidism, get that checked. If you do have hypothyroidism and that affects your calorie burn, you need to eat less than you otherwise would, but if you do eat consistently less than you burn, you too will lose weight. If you log your intake accurately, and measure your weight correctly, you can figure out how much you really burn, and make sure that you eat less than that. But you need to be accurate and get enough reliable data points over some time (at least a month of accurate logging of intake and daily weigh-ins), and then not try to eat too little to "lose faster".