Weight loss and the toll it takes on the body

Options
We have been working out for quite some time. I am so proud of myself and how far I have come. I am blessed to be able to go what I do. I surpass my barriers and surprise myself with my capabilities. It's been great for me. My body though is always sore. It is uncomfortable and for me that can become difficult mentally.

We are eager to have a family. We have talked about it for a while but feel that we are ready to start, so we began trying recently. I am concerned about it though because of the uncomfortableness that will come with it. If I am uncomfortable now, I will be that much more when I become pregnant or so I think and hear. I know that a lot of my soreness is because I have been working so damn hard and my muscles are being worked in ways they never have. That is a great thing! Is all of this pain though normal when working out this hard? It's continously my neck and my traps and sometimes my lower back.

I didn't know it would be this hard to lose weight. Not the weight losing and muscle building process of it, but the physical toll. I can't believe that I am losing this weight and am facing this challenge instead of eating my emotions and feeling sorry for myself. I am strong for what I am going through. It is a tough journey. I don't want to delay a family for fear of hurting from the physical changes but I know that the more weight I lose the easier pregnancy will be. Originally we were planning on starting in the fall. This will give me more time to lose weight and by this point my bmi should be under 40 as my doctor would prefer as it is a safer weight.

I am so proud of myself for making it this far and I'm going to go father! I would like to understand the physical toll better though. Is it normal to be this uncomfortable? I am starting to realize that I need to engage my stomach muscles more. When I bend over to get something,I need to use my legs instead of my back. I am trying to do this more. When will it start becoming less of a toll on my body and is all of this normal for someone losing weight? This often is not talked about in weight loss and working out articles.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    You might consider going to a physiotherapist to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about DOMS from working out?
  • deby32
    deby32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me, I'm 37 years old with 3 kids ages 16, 12 and 7 months, my bmi is 44 and was 44 before my last pregnancy too and I have to be honest that was HARD, being so overweight and pregnant really took a toll on my body and having had 2 previous children while at healthy weight I know the difference. I'm now trying to get back to a healthy bmi because we would like 1 more baby before I hit 40 and I know there's no way I can put my body through that again. I suffered from pelvic gridle pain and could barely walk even attending physiotherapy and I developed gestational diabetes which brought it's own problems. However, I can tell you as someone whose weight has been up and down over the years that it does get easier, you'll feel like your muscles are ripping apart just now but as you loss the weight your body does get stronger, and there's pretty strong muscles in there already from carrying that weight, it does get easier and you'll feel strong and great. Feel free to add me as we're both on a similar journey
  • lnd0718
    lnd0718 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You may not be lifting properly and therefore, having unnecessary strain in certain muscle groups. When I hear your lower back and traps hurt that kind of signals to me improper form.

Maybe enlist an expert to make sure that you are lifting properly and not hurting yourself.
  • koenigsknechtc
    koenigsknechtc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You might consider going to a physiotherapist to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly.

I have never heard of this. That is a great idea. Thank you.
  • koenigsknechtc
    koenigsknechtc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    deby32 wrote: »
    Hi feel free to add me, I'm 37 years old with 3 kids ages 16, 12 and 7 months, my bmi is 44 and was 44 before my last pregnancy too and I have to be honest that was HARD, being so overweight and pregnant really took a toll on my body and having had 2 previous children while at healthy weight I know the difference. I'm now trying to get back to a healthy bmi because we would like 1 more baby before I hit 40 and I know there's no way I can put my body through that again. I suffered from pelvic gridle pain and could barely walk even attending physiotherapy and I developed gestational diabetes which brought it's own problems. However, I can tell you as someone whose weight has been up and down over the years that it does get easier, you'll feel like your muscles are ripping apart just now but as you loss the weight your body does get stronger, and there's pretty strong muscles in there already from carrying that weight, it does get easier and you'll feel strong and great. Feel free to add me as we're both on a similar journey

Thank you for this information. I have added you as a friend.
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is important to make the distinction between soreness and pain. Soreness is fine and normal and will happen and is normally not a big deal. Pain is something else completely and if you have pain that isn't going away then go see a doctor. Better to be safe then sorry.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know your current weight or how much you've lost. It got better for me over time and with more losses. You might need to pace yourself and back off 10% or so. It's ok, you will still make progress.