Pounds of rotting food and toxic sludge

Options
Anybody else get annoyed with those utterly ridiculous radio commercials for utterly ridiculous weight loss products? My favorite radio station plays this one commercial at least twice an hour, and it is so stupid it makes me all road rage-y. >:)

Commercial: "Maybe you aren't fat, but just bloated?"
Me thinking: 'Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm fat.'
Commercial: "You want a flatter belly?"
Me thinking: 'Ya betcha.'
Commercial: "Try SB. It will remove pounds of rotting food and toxic sludge from your body and give you a flat belly."
Me thinking: 'Yeah...um...nope. Maybe your brain is full of toxic sludge, you greedy lying *kitten*!'' :D

Replies

• mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes I hear the same commercial, such a rip off.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why I no longer listen to commercial radio stations :tongue:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ha, yeah, I know the commercial you're talking about. It's funny, but I feel bad about the people that in their desperation get scammed into it.

Remember to do your research people! There's no miracle products!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Marie Osmond does it too with Nutri System. She claims one of the products gets rid of "belly bulge"
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Most ludicrous and aggravating part of that commercial is the fake caller calling the fake customer service, and it goes something like this...

Fake customer service rep: "Hello, Ma'm. Are you calling about the free trial of SB?"
    Fake customer: "Actually, I already got the free trial. And now I have a problem I didn't think I would ever have."
    Fake customer service rep: "Oh yeah? What is that?"
    Fake customer: "I've been taking SB every day and now my belly is TOO flat! I don't want to look like a runway model! But I don't want to stop SB either because honestly, I've never looked this good."
    Fake customer service rep: "You don't have to stop. If your belly flattening results are TOO dramatic you can reduce SB to just every other day."

That portion is soooooo over the top ridiculous that even the dumbest and most desperate listeners must know it's a crock of *kitten*.

I heard that one for the first time 4 days ago and I sat there for a good minute before saying "what....the.....eff????"

Like anyone ever had that problem using some product. Too flat??? Really??
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "rotting food and toxic sludge"? Sounds like a fair description of bowel contents to me. It ain't all sunshine and roses down there, but it's getting the job done.

Ahahaha I know ..TECHNICALLY they are correct. Probably just not the timeline their suggesting lol
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    "rotting food and toxic sludge"? Sounds like a fair description of bowel contents to me. It ain't all sunshine and roses down there, but it's getting the job done.

Ahahaha I know ..TECHNICALLY they are correct. Probably just not the timeline their suggesting lol

Not quite. Fecal matter is not "rotting food" and unless you are severely constipated it doesn't stay in your body very long.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Marie Osmond does it too with Nutri System. She claims one of the products gets rid of "belly bulge"

I noticed Lady Gaga had a little bulge in the SuperBowl half time show , she should talk to Marie lol

Good luck everyone
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Most ludicrous and aggravating part of that commercial is the fake caller calling the fake customer service, and it goes something like this...

Fake customer service rep: "Hello, Ma'm. Are you calling about the free trial of SB?"
    Fake customer: "Actually, I already got the free trial. And now I have a problem I didn't think I would ever have."
    Fake customer service rep: "Oh yeah? What is that?"
    Fake customer: "I've been taking SB every day and now my belly is TOO flat! I don't want to look like a runway model! But I don't want to stop SB either because honestly, I've never looked this good."
    Fake customer service rep: "You don't have to stop. If your belly flattening results are TOO dramatic you can reduce SB to just every other day."

That portion is soooooo over the top ridiculous that even the dumbest and most desperate listeners must know it's a crock of *kitten*.

THIS!!! This is the worst part for sure. "If your belly becomes too flat" I can never roll my eyes enough.

I still love my radio station, though.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I hear that part of the commercial where the results are TOO dramatic and I wonder-are they caving in?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    This thread is also good for either rage or a laugh - What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The ad is claiming there's pounds of "toxic sludge" impacted in your intestines. This comes I think from nineteenth century quackery -- and apparently people still fall for it. If there were impacted sludge in peoples' intestines, why hasn't it been found in autopsies?

The other one that gets me is an ad for a veggie-fruit supplement called "Balance of Nature". They have all these testimonials from people who say their medical conditions magically improved when they started taking the supplement. How they get away with this is beyond me (my guess is they won't get away with it for long). What they don't give you are the number of people whose cancer went away versus those whose cancer didn't go away, and proof this percentage is different than the spontaneous remission you'd expect without taking "Balance of Nature".

The "if your belly is getting too flat" one is amusing, too. At least it would be if people didn't seriously fall for this nonsense and send them money. I'm in the wrong racket.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The commercials, both radio and TV, are one of the highlights of America holidays. They are so dreadful they're wonderful.