Peloton- We regrets the purchase?

Options

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    I just looked it up. A Zwift-compatible trainer starts at about $250 (current sale price) although most are in the $500 to $1,500 range. I think what that means is (1) the trainer can measure power in some way, and (2) the resistance can be controlled through software, so when "the game" has you riding up a hill, it gets harder to pedal, and when you crest the hill, it gets easier. Both of those features are valuable whether you're using an immersive virtual reality world or not.

It's a little more complicated than that.
    There are 3 ways Zwift and Trainerroad work:
    1. Smart Trainer. Wahoo KCKR, Elite Drivo, Cyclops Hammer. $900 min. These transmit power and can be controlled by the software to add resistance
    2. Power meter. Pretty self explanatory, but the software gets power info from the PM.
    3. Dumb trainer + speed & cadence sensor. Certain dumb trainers (I linked a bunch up above) have known power curves. By knowing what your trainer's resistance is, when the software knows your speed and cadence, it knows how much power you are putting out. These start at about $150-200

for the record, i use a dumb trainer :) mine is 6yrs old and still going strong

Me too. I got a Performance store brand Fluid+ about 6 year ago too for a stupid deal on clearance ($25!) and it does the virtual power on both TrainerRoad and Zwift, but I barely use it - I only rode a total of 35 miles in 2016 :(
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up. A Zwift-compatible trainer starts at about $250 (current sale price) although most are in the $500 to $1,500 range. I think what that means is (1) the trainer can measure power in some way, and (2) the resistance can be controlled through software, so when "the game" has you riding up a hill, it gets harder to pedal, and when you crest the hill, it gets easier. Both of those features are valuable whether you're using an immersive virtual reality world or not.

It's a little more complicated than that.
    There are 3 ways Zwift and Trainerroad work:
    1. Smart Trainer. Wahoo KCKR, Elite Drivo, Cyclops Hammer. $900 min. These transmit power and can be controlled by the software to add resistance
    2. Power meter. Pretty self explanatory, but the software gets power info from the PM.
    3. Dumb trainer + speed & cadence sensor. Certain dumb trainers (I linked a bunch up above) have known power curves. By knowing what your trainer's resistance is, when the software knows your speed and cadence, it knows how much power you are putting out. These start at about $150-200

for the record, i use a dumb trainer :) mine is 6yrs old and still going strong

Me too. I got a Performance store brand Fluid+ about 6 year ago too for a stupid deal on clearance ($25!) and it does the virtual power on both TrainerRoad and Zwift, but I barely use it - I only rode a total of 35 miles in 2016 :(

lol - winter is the best time to dig it out - i'll admit to being extra motivated because my LBS is doing a winter riding challenge and the overall prize is a wahoo kick...so its getting my *kitten* on the trainer...

plus with my weird work schedule - i was often on the trainer until 10pm in the lead-up to my ironman (doing 5hrs on the indoor trainer isn't recommended)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Raven-I am thankful for this topic as I too was considering it since I love biking but the fact that fittocycle mentioned internet speed may be a factor..... I've begun to question how it would work for us. I'm way outside the city in remote area.

if in a remote area - why not buy a bike and ride outside?

nah, just no time for leaving with my kiddies. im thinking of doing this early in the Am before they wake up.

What we're saying is they won't be that small forever. I've had my current road bike longer than I've been a dad, and my daughter just turned 9. The $800 I spent was well worth it.

oh totally but the chances of me biking outside are slim to none. Where i live doesnt provide that? im looking for a good indoor cardio solution. Bicycle or cycling can possibly provide that.

This is now, but you mentioned that you have two little kids. Do you see them biking in the future? I was in this phase, but my kids are 9, 6, and 3 and we have a trailer for the 3 year old. This is why I would recommend a good entry level road bike and stationary trainer. Pick up a tablet or set this up in front of a screen, but I wouldn't invest in all the ancillary gear on something you may not end up using.

I have an issue with anything proprietary like Peloton, because it leaves the owners with nothing once the business model fails.
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Raven, I have a peloton and it is absolutely incredible. The Peloton community is also incredible. It's a "tight knit" community of thousands upon thousands of people all connected by this one (very expensive) device. The workouts are addictive. The machine is addictive. The following is cult-like. If you're really curious- keep doing your own research. Visit a show room if at all possible and get on one. I haven't met anyone yet who regretted the purchase. Good luck.
  • mattsmom64
    mattsmom64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog:

http://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/

I've been riding my own spin bike with the Peloton app. I either watch the class on my iPad or hook it up to watch it on my TV. I was tempted to buy the bike because I love the classes so much, but, I didn't like the idea of buying the bike without being able to check it out in person (no studios near me). I also like the ability to use other programs (Studio Sweat on Demand, Bitgym) with my bike.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve about the peleton is they put throw away pedals on it and they try to sell to "special" shoes for the bike that are just older style road shoe that accept the older style look cleat.
    Every spin bike I have seen in a class has SPD on one side. Mountain bike shoes, AKA floor safe shoes, are SPD. I have not owned a pair of Look compatible shoes in 20 years.
    Add to this the several hundred a year for the video subscription and you have an over priced system.
    If I were going to buy one for home I'd consider a Keiser.
  • SabrinaInMaine
    SabrinaInMaine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOVE my peloton! Yes...pricey...but i don’t need a gym membership! Live rides are really cool! All the instructors are super motivating. It has given me tons of motivation to work out.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My pet peeve about the peleton is they put throw away pedals on it and they try to sell to "special" shoes for the bike that are just older style road shoe that accept the older style look cleat.

Peleton bikes have Look delta pedals. Almost every single road bike shoe is delta compatible (and Look Keo and SPD-SL).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I upgraded from SPD to Look Keo a couple years ago to put a power meter on the bike.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but I can tell you there is a Peloton store at the mall near me and it is pretty much empty every time I am there (we couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to be at first - they hadn't started advertising yet and it was just a couple empty exercise bikes sitting there empty). I don't take that as a good sign of longevity. And trust me - I used to work at the Nordic Track store that used to be in that same mall back in the day - it closed a long time ago (don't think it made it 10 years there) and had more business then I have ever seen in the Peloton store.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I don't have one but I can tell you there is a Peloton store at the mall near me and it is pretty much empty every time I am there (we couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to be at first - they hadn't started advertising yet and it was just a couple empty exercise bikes sitting there empty). I don't take that as a good sign of longevity. And trust me - I used to work at the Nordic Track store that used to be in that same mall back in the day - it closed a long time ago (don't think it made it 10 years there) and had more business then I have ever seen in the Peloton store.

For most, the choke point will be the $468 a year to link to the classes.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Peleton bikes have Look delta pedals. Almost every single road bike shoe is delta compatible (and Look Keo and SPD-SL).

I haven't used road shoes in a couple decades. Just MTB shoes. More walkable for short distances.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i so want one still.. just sucks that its so expensive. i kind of want an all in one solution instead of pieces.
  • raven56706
    Options
    anyone else have pelotons? and if so, do you worry about the company going under when purchasing?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love to run or ride straight from my front door. Indoor fitness equipment for me just gets in the way. The kids getting in the way, now that's a whole other problem to work around. I say skip the fancy display and just put the morning news on mute and get some good music or audio workout on.
  • shirronluz
    shirronluz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We bought the Peloton in Nov and I love it. I'm not gym person, so memberships don't work for me. I'm prior service and I have messed up my ankles and knees, so riding a reg bike doesn't work for me. It's hard on my knees and ankles. I can set my resistance on my Peloton and sometimes I'll test my knees and ankles limits. I have my weights, an elliptical and now my bike. Yeah it's pricey, but this works for me and it's in my craft room. Just didn't want it in my garage. I agree with Humanovation "I also really like all the metrics and competing against other people in the live classes". Great instructors on there, I love Jessica King. You can follow me Shirron_Luz. I have set up a goal for the month of February.
  • raven56706
    Options
    question for all you peloton peeps, is there somewhere on the monitor that says the amount of resistance or gears that you put?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    for me and having 2 little ones, i cant go outside biking. So was looking for options in house. Build your own seems sexy but just need to know which one works

So, you have 2 little ones? Will they stay little forever or will they will grow and start riding bikes someday? Can you take them out bicyle riding on the Peloton? You sure can't. When my step kids were younger, we had so much fun loading up the bikes, going to parks with trails and going on long bike rided.

Therefore, getting a real bike is a future investment on quality outdoor active time with the kiddos.

Also, if you find cycling isn't for you, I'm sure it will be a heck of a lot easier to sell a bike/trainer set up compared to a Peloton, especially if Peloton doesn't stay in business.
  • raven56706
    Options
    for me and having 2 little ones, i cant go outside biking. So was looking for options in house. Build your own seems sexy but just need to know which one works

So, you have 2 little ones? Will they stay little forever or will they will grow and start riding bikes someday? Can you take them out bicyle riding on the Peloton? You sure can't. When my step kids were younger, we had so much fun loading up the bikes, going to parks with trails and going on long bike rided.

Therefore, getting a real bike is a future investment on quality outdoor active time with the kiddos.

Also, if you find cycling isn't for you, I'm sure it will be a heck of a lot easier to sell a bike/trainer set up compared to a Peloton, especially if Peloton doesn't stay in business.

buying a bicycle isnt the option im looking for. Im looking for an exercise bike I understand that i can get a bike and ride it with my kids but thats not what im looking for. thanks though