Such high calorie burns? What?

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    On my workout days I do 90 minutes. The first 30-35 minutes I'll burn around 500 calories using my M5 maxed out on settings steady state cardio wearing my HRM for accuracy. I believe that calorie burn estimate wholeheartedly, it's so hard it feels like you're dying for that whole 30-35 minutes lol. However, after I'm done, I hop off and continue with circuit training for another 60 minutes. It takes me that whole 60 minutes or so to burn another 500-600 calories. I believe that estimate is about 70% accurate because my heart rate goes down and although I keep moving the whole time in order to keep my heart rate above say 120, it just doesn't take quite as much effort as the M5 does. So my total burn for that 90 minutes is usually around 1100 calories, of which I build 750-800 into my daily calorie budget. So is the 1100 you see in my feed daily accurate 100%, probably not but it's close. I figure any time you see burns that high, figure at least 20% is over-inflated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ten calories a minute is hard to do unless you are really big
    No - calorie burns over an extended duration are more about fitness than size.

This.

For an extreme example, look at the people racing in the Tour of France.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    In some cases the numbers could be correct. In many they are not. I don't really pay attention to those newsfeed posts.
    Exactly this. Just scroll right past.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I guess the only correct method would be going with a similar HR zone workouts consistently, and modifying your caloric intake depending on the weekly results or your weight. At the end of the day, all the apps, even ones that has HR monitors incorporated use these formulas based on experiments on various sample groups. Everyone will act differently in a way depending on their fitness levels, body types etc.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Calories burned relates to your size weight and fitness level. The bigger and heavier you are the more energy it takes to move your body and also the fitter your are more energy you can burn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    In many cases, people are overestimating their burns...they're just taking them directly from the database without verifying their relative accuracy and just taking them as gospel. An average ride on my bike for 60 minutes is in the neighborhood of 600 calories...an effort necessary for me to burn 1,000 would be pretty tough, and certainly not something I could do daily
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I burn 700-800 calories on the arc trainer at planet fitness for 60 minutes. How? Because i do intervals with lower intensity then higher throughout my hour. I burn about 12-15 calories per minute depending on the intensity and how fast i am going. The arc trainer is basically a ski machine. I love that machine and i sweat on that more than any other cardio machine i use.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know my burns are WAY off but I know if one day is 430 and another day is 650, day two was better. I get my number from a heart rate monitor rather then MFP but they just *feel* wrong. I'm 137lbs, 5 foot 2 and burned, according to it, 642cals in 56 minutes 44 seconds. Another day was 511 in 1 hour 3 minutes. I know the first one was 'better' as I did more so I log it anyway for my own records really.

Focus on how fast you can run, how far, how much you can lift or whatever you want to achieve. Looking too much at the numbers of others is demoralizing a lot of the time. Difficult to ignore but generally for the best.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I am on the tread mill for 100 min.
    I burn 1500+ calories
    My current weight is 220+
    I do HIIT.. I run for 45 seconds (7.2)mph and walk for a min
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I guess the only correct method would be going with a similar HR zone workouts consistently, and modifying your caloric intake depending on the weekly results or your weight. At the end of the day, all the apps, even ones that has HR monitors incorporated use these formulas based on experiments on various sample groups. Everyone will act differently in a way depending on their fitness levels, body types etc.

Much easier to just measure it, where possible. Power meters are a great thing about bikes and rowing machines, takes all the guesswork and inaccuracy out of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am on the tread mill for 100 min.
    I burn 1500+ calories
    My current weight is 220+
    I do HIIT.. I run for 45 seconds (7.2)mph and walk for a min

You do 100 minutes of HIIT?
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I kinda don't believe anyone can do 100 minutes of HIIT.
    HIIT is all out sprinting, going as hard as you can until you think your heart is going to burst and you are begging for mercy, then back to steady state cardio for recovery. No walking allowed, unless walking is steady state cardio for you.

I'm not being mean here. I'm not ready for true HIIT right now. But I've done a lot of it, and the most even my friend who is super fit can do is 45 minutes. And even then, she doesn't. It's too hard on the body and if you do too much of it it's counter productive for training.

I don't think there is a word for what that is. There should be. Like maybe, medium intensity interval training? Like when I ramp up the elliptical and go all out for forty seconds then take it back to normal speed for forty seconds?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do typing HIIT. I type a sentence out at full intensity, then I rest for a moment when I think of what to type next. I burned about 5,700 calories typing this post - more if you count the afterburn.

Exactly. And after this you'll go to the motivation boards and ask why the scale hast moved in 5 weeks.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I could easily burn 700-900 Calories in an hour, but I was 260lb, extremely unfit and felt like I was dying when my HR hit 130. Yesterday I burnt just over 1000 Calories over 3x45min classes, all three classes were high intensity with 2 out of the 3 involving lots of interval work (Insanity and Boxercise), for each of the classes my average HR was >125 and peaking at 160+. Pretty sure that if I'd have been able to manage the classes even 6 months let alone a year ago my Calorie burn would have been close to 1000/hour.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The MFP calculations are nearly double what the gym machine is telling me. On the basis of that I would be more inclined to use the gym calculation as a guideline.

I can get burns over a 1,000, but they tend to be for a few hours activity.
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MPF is not accurate. Gym machines are more accurate but not that accurate.

I would recommend getting a HR monitor - not the wrist ones though. The one that goes around your chest is your better bet. Like a Polar H7.

Thats the only way to get closer to accurate results. I'm not saying its perfect. But it is more accurate than a gym machine or MPF.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    At 225lbs I barely burn 600cals an hour doing fairly intense exercise. Most exercise "burns" on here are gross overestimates.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I monitor and log calories burned, but don't sweat the numbers. I use them more as a relative gauge for my workouts. They are also very difficult to accurately measure for weight training routines. I know that if they are higher for one workout than another, then I worked harder. The more important test is the mirror test - am I making progress when I look in the mirror? And the "How do I feel test?" Do I feel better than I did last week, last month, last year?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people throw the word HIIT around. Really HIIT, the way it's meant to be done and the way athletes do it...is not being done for 100 minutes. You do "interval training". Or something.