how did you stop overeating

Options
2»

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Such great advice, all of the above. I too put a measured 1/2 scoop in my oatmeal container, actually more for the convenience but it sure helps. Just reading about the exercise which reminded me I should go to the gym today, thank you. I am allowing those "unhealthy" delicious foods into my plan - just plan for it and eat in the portion size that fits into your plan.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Log everything before it goes in your mouth. Even if it's crap. It will at least make you be honest with yourself and give you an opportunity to make a different choice.
    Putting on a pair of expensive skinny jeans that I worked hard to have fit perfectly usually gets me back on track quickly! Sometimes, vanity wins over healthy, but I accomplish both goals by taking care of one or the other.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I dont buy trigger foods, ones that I know I cannot control myself around - I just have to not eat them at all. Like doughnuts. Or potato chips. My shopping list is full of veggies and fruit. And, quite frankly, its like a previous poster said - you have to up your willpower game. Find distractions for those times when you feel like eating everything - shower, walk, knit, do puzzles - anything to get your mind off overeating. Its not easy. You really have to want to NOT do it more than you want the food, and the guilt and shame and self loathing that comes with it. You will have setbacks, but as long as the days you DONT overdo are more than the days you DO, it will get easier.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    clags301 wrote: »
    Log everything before it goes in your mouth. Even if it's crap. It will at least make you be honest with yourself and give you an opportunity to make a different choice.

^This^
    Found that is really helping to control what I call the 'ish factor' - a cup-ish, 25g - ish - which was actually much more. Made a commitment to myself to stop fooling myself and be honest about the amount of food that I am eating.
  • hansklamp2112
    hansklamp2112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Working out or not, I love eating. For a few months I'd find myself struggling to stay below my caloric daily limit. Then I went low carb NOT because its better than high carb.. but because I wanted to see if it would help me to intake less carbs and feel more satiated. It did. Honestly, I love carbs and will never give them up, but 4-5 days a week I keep them pretty low (around keto levels but higher to fuel my workouts) and I'm not nearly as hungry as usual.

Try it out. Maybe try to do your calories per day but with 40-60g of carbs tops.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Personally, while logging helps keep me in check generally, it doesn't always stop me from overindulging on my favourite foods. I found that for those it helps if I don't try to tell myself I'm "only going to have one", but rather, "eat one and if you're still hungry you can have another".

If I start eating something thinking "you can't have any more", I'll get frustrated and end up eating more than I need to. If I start with knowing I can have as much as I need and ask myself after each slice of pizza if I'm actually still hungry, I find I'll usually only have two (instead of gorging on three or four).
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    mama10716 wrote: »
    I've been overeating everyday for the past 2 weeks I don't know what to do stop .I keep going in this cycle of losing weight only to gain it all back real fast .Any advice ??

Tell your self that every bite cost you 100 kcals. and log it as such.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Weigh and portion my foods, that way I know how much I'm eating. It takes time and effort, but at least I know I'm staying on track. The minute I get off track with that is when I get into the danger zone of "Oh forget it, I don't give a *bleep*" and other excuses.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    mama10716 wrote: »
    I've been overeating everyday for the past 2 weeks I don't know what to do stop .I keep going in this cycle of losing weight only to gain it all back real fast .Any advice ??

Tell your self that every bite cost you 100 kcals. and log it as such.

That would just make me take huge mouthfulls >.> Seems counter productive to slowing down :p
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    l_lake wrote: »
    Personally, while logging helps keep me in check generally, it doesn't always stop me from overindulging on my favourite foods. I found that for those it helps if I don't try to tell myself I'm "only going to have one", but rather, "eat one and if you're still hungry you can have another". ...

^^ This.

It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to catch up with your gut and realize it's not hungry any more. Eating slowly and enjoying your food rather than gulping it down while doing something else helps me -- accompanied by the rule that I need to eat one serving, wait 20 minutes, then I will have another if I still want it.

And if I have no real hunger that means I'm eating emotionally -- out of boredom, anger, anxiety, etc. -- and food isn't going to solve that problem. As MissMaggie said, it's important that we stop fooling ourselves.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I saw that you said you've only been overeating for the past couple of weeks, so I assume that it happens in cycles while you're working to lose weight. So, I want to pose some questions that you can ask yourself to figure out what's happening.

1- You are holding a rather new infant in your arms in your profile photo. Are you breast feeding? Breast feeding is commonly known to cause an increase in hunger.

2- When you start overeating, on what day of your menstrual cycle are you? Premenstrual bingeing can begin 7 or more days before your period and may last through your period. So consider that aspect of your biology.

3- How are you sleeping? Sleep and hunger are scientifically proven to go together. I have personally found that if I get more than 7 hours of sleep each night, my body controls my hunger on its own. The better I sleep, the less likely I am to overeat, too.

4- Are you drinking enough water? The 8-8 ounce glasses of water per day rule is actually incorrect. Water intake is based on your personal biology. I have found that I do better with sleep, food, mood, and energy when I drink at least 80 ounces of water per day (outside of what I drink while working out). Additionally, when I feel like I need to eat, I drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If I still feel hungry, then I eat.

5- What is your eating hygiene? Do you put the fork down inbetween bites? How many times do you chew before you swallow? How fast are you eating? If it takes you less than 10 minutes to eat a hamburger and fries, you might want to concentrate there.

6- What types of food are you eating? It's a lot less horrific for your weight loss plan to eat a pound of carrots than a pound of chocolate. Eating the right balance of foods is also important. There's room for some fat amongst the healthy protein and health carbs.

7- Are you being reasonable with your goals and are you practicing "safe" weight loss? If you are eating less than 1200 calories net (after exercise) then you're not eating enough. This puts your body in starvation mode, and then your body eventually fights back. I personally have set my daily calories to 1200. Then, if I exercise, the calories I burn I require myself to eat for fuel. Imagine if I ate 1200 calories and then burned 600? That's a net of only 600 calories. The human body can't sustain that.

Otherwise, I think everyone else has covered the other possibilities, like stress, etc.
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and this time around has been th most successful ever, and I did it by learning more about myself in addition to the basics.
    Here are the things I've learned about myself, personally...
    I am most likely to overeat when I eat a "trigger food" aka something I REALLY like. The biggest ones for me are ham, pizza, and cheese. If I get a little taste, I'm going to keep eating and eating. So, I save those for "rare and appropriate" occasions.

I HAVE to meal prep. I just spent an hour cutting up and cooking 5 lbs of chicken and 2 cups of rice. It sucks and I complain and whine about it, but if I don't do it I stray andndnd screw myself over.

LOG LOG LOG! The things I eat every day, I don't always log. But if I have ANYTHING else, I'll think back and log everything eaten that day so I know what's going on.

Also, water. This one is tough for some people, as my MIL, husband, and one of my sons HATE water. However, myself and two of our sons love it and drink almost exclusively water. I have a giant 32oz cup from when I gave birth to our youngest and I fill it to the top 3+ times per day and sip on it CONSTANTLY so I know for a fact that when I'm hungry, I am indeed hungry.

I have to stick with "I like it, but don't love it" on the average day. My basic every day meals are 1) chicken, rice, 2 servings of a vegetable, and then I rotate between general Tso sauce, ranch, and honey mustard to keep it from getting TOO old. I have this twice per day. 2) Yogurt with an alternating 1/4c trail mix, granola, fruit and nut mix. 3) an additional snack of the trail mix, granola, or fruit and nut mix. 4) two slices of whole wheat toast with extra crunchy peanut butter.

I also have several hobbies that keep me busy. Crochet being the main one. It definitely helps to crochet while "watching" Netflix as a distraction.

Sooo, now that I've rambled and rambled, basically, try to be hyper aware of what is going on when you overeat, and try to think of possible solutions that suit YOU!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If you are overeating because you are undereating, stop the undereating.

If you are overeating because of bad habits, get better habits. A good meal plan/structure, sitting down to eat, not eating in front of the TV etc, can help.

If you are overeating emotionally, work on better ways to meet your emotions.

If you are overeating because you feel deprived ("healthy eating" is often the cause), make sure you are eating food you like.

If you are overeating because you eat poorly, eat a more balanced diet, and get in more variety and fresh food.

If you are overeating because you have no handle on proper portions, weigh and log your food, at least for a couple of weeks.

All of this.

You want to know a funny coincidence about this post? Right now while I'm reading this, Meatloaf's "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" is playing on the radio in the background.

• brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    • Focused on protein goal
    • Log & measure & weigh everything
    • Walking
    (it actually takes my stress away. Stress caused me to go to Pizza Hut or Mcdonalds before)
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat often during the day (like I do), I will eat smaller meals 6 times a day. Make sure your portions are small. Then even if you get hungry, after an hour or so, you know you can eat in another hour or two. I also make sure to eat the right types of foods. Somehow, for me, if I know I can eat every couple of hours, I can get through a small bit of time feeling hungry. This will also keep your metabolism working all day. I also make sure I get at least a gallon of water in. ;) Hope that helps.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    If you are overeating because you are undereating, stop the undereating.

If you are overeating because of bad habits, get better habits. A good meal plan/structure, sitting down to eat, not eating in front of the TV etc, can help.

If you are overeating emotionally, work on better ways to meet your emotions.

If you are overeating because you feel deprived ("healthy eating" is often the cause), make sure you are eating food you like.

If you are overeating because you eat poorly, eat a more balanced diet, and get in more variety and fresh food.

If you are overeating because you have no handle on proper portions, weigh and log your food, at least for a couple of weeks.

wow... this is so good! The first one (under eating due to deficit too aggressive or poor planning) and the third one (emotional eating) nail it for me.

One thing that helps: it is much easier to resist unplanned snacking if I have planned (and am looking forward to) foods I truly, genuinely enjoy. That is essentially the same as the 4th point above except for the trigger. IOW, planning meals I really like is strong prevention for me even though feeling deprived isn't a trigger for me.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    There is really no answer for this, you have to decide you are ready to stop that cycle and commit to eating less. I spent 4 years in that cycle, once I was truly fed up with myself I finally became consistent and had real weight loss success. Its all a mind thing.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Started eating more protein. I went from 1800 cal a day weekly average to 1400 cal a day weekly average.