Opinions on cheat days

Options

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I can't do a cheat day simply because it turns into days and months. I simply allow myself whatever I may want as long as it is within my calorie range. This journey is different for everyone so if a cheat day is something you feel will make this successful for you by all means do it :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    No. Its counterproductive to what I want to do, which is lose weight, correct some unhealthy eating habits, and generally eat to improve my health. If I want something, I have it within my calorie budget, or I even it out with a weekly average. Its not a cheat - its life.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Whenever I meet a goal, I treat myself to something which I usually wouldn't have as it is calorie suicide.

However, day to day I let myself enjoy small amounts of the things I like. You don't have to eat perfectly and can indulge a little each day as long as you stay under your calorie goal :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love them. I call them weekends and have them every week. I'll gladly eat low calories throughout the work week if I can overeat on the weekends on still control my weight. I eat a deficit during the week even in maintenance just so I can 'cheat' (overeat) on the weekends. This method makes me happy and consistent.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then work it. I was not able to have "cheat days" because cheat days became cheat weekends, which completely wasted my deficit. I now stick to an "eat what I want" method, just keeping reasonable portions.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've always had an insatiable appetite, so a "cheat day" sets me back quite a bit. I MUST have a cheat day every once in awhile in order to be able to withstand feeling like I'm starving every other day.

There are scheduled / planned cheat days and unplanned "over-eating days". I find that, if I schedule a cheat day, I go much further over calories but it is more satisfying to do so. If I started out the day just fine and then lost the hunger battle around dinner time, I might not have as many calories but it will happen more and more often until I actually have a scheduled cheat day.

When I first started, I made cheat days based on weight milestones. For example, when I got to 190 lbs., I was going to schedule a cheat day. I knew that I would likely gain several lbs., but then I wouldn't do another until I got to the next milestone (otherwise I would be stuck in a loop going to 190 lbs., then over again, then back down to 190, and so on...). At first, my daily deficits were just lower quantities of the same foods as many would suggest here. Cheat days would just be larger quantities to where I would eat as much as 20K+ calories (highest cheat day was just over 27K IIRC). I would still track food, but not restrict. I also did them on a weekend when I could just stay home, eat, cook, and order pizzas and such... I did them when I had nothing else I needed to do and nowhere else to go.

Now that I've been low carb since last Mar., my cheat days are less frequent and include foods that I don't normally eat. It's difficult to make it to a scheduled cheat day, so I have ended up with more "over-eating days" as an unfortunate result. When I have a scheduled cheat day with high carb foods and no restrictions on quantity, they result in very challenging BG's (I have type 1 diabetes) and significant electrolyte imbalances. This is because I'm now fat adapted and very carb sensitive; and the electrolyte imbalance lasts for 1-2 weeks. Then I have to become fat adapted again. This is why a scheduled cheat day happens so much less often now (about 2 times per year at this point). Because I do them so much less frequently, I have started to do "cheat weekends" rather than a single day. This helps improve satisfaction by prolonging the amount of eating time.

My next "cheat weekend" will be at the end of April... I'm really looking forward to it! In the meantime, I've had a lot more unplanned "over-eating days" where I just didn't have the willpower to stay within calories. For example, Sat. I was a 6K calorie day. It was still low-er carb (about 7% carbs for the day, but the actual quantity of carbs was obviously higher with higher calories), and I was still hungry for most of the day. But during part of the day, I lost willpower and ate a jar of peanut butter and 1 lb. of hamburger with cheese slices (i.e. large bun-less cheeseburger). I could have eaten more, but got enough willpower to distract myself. So that was an unplanned "over-eating day" that is different than a "cheat day" where I would have planned ahead and made no attempt to restrict calories.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I quit saying cheat meals/days for one. I have 3/4 treat meals each week. I like this as opposed to a day set in stone because life happens and I may have social events on different days during the week. These treats also give me something to look forward to each week. I am able to fit them in and keep moving. I haven't felt deprived or binged since I started viewing these moments as treats. The word cheat just made me feel bad, which ultimately led me to overeat.
  • PrincessPoquilaPie
    Options
    I prefer the "rare and appropriate" way of thinking.
    Birthday party? Eat that pizza.
    Thanksgiving? Mmm all the carbs
    Work event? Have a ball with whatever they're having.
    Go on a date? Get what you want from the menu.
    Going out as a family and all the kids want to go somewhere that it's difficult to log or eat within your means? Just do what you can and enjoy yourself. Don't stress over it.

Otherwise, stick to healthy habits.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used to do "cheat days" until I realized I was eating so much that day that I was cancelling out all my weight loss for the week. Now, once a month, I give myself a "fun meal" where I can eat as much as I want, but I have to track it all. I'm fine with the idea of giving yourself a break from the deficit, especially if it's enjoying some food you love. However, I recommend making these sparse and ALWAYS still track your food.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I guess I've had cheat days where I've been at a party or something and haven't tracked all my food. In such cases I just add 2000 cal to the food I do record and have done with it.

Otherwise, since I only limit how much I eat and not what I eat, I generally don't feel the need.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have "Maintenance" Days when I allow myself to eat at maintenance, but I log and track everything.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have had a day that I didn't track, had a couple drinks and boy did I hate myself Monday morning for it :( I have decided to look 2 weeks ahead in my calendar to see if there are any important events coming up and I'll cut calories the day before or eat before I go out - I also track each drink as I order them. So I see that I'm having too many and my calories are decreasing rapidly. Also helps me stay 'sober'. Lol
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    tuiccim wrote: »
    I have "Maintenance" Days when I allow myself to eat at maintenance, but I log and track everything.

this. I don't have a cheat day or cheat meal. I want this to be a lifestyle change and not a diet. This is the way I'm going to eat forever.

I have no foods that are off limits. If I want cookies everyday that's fine as long as they fit in my calories. Once in a while I will have a day that I eat at maintenance but I find that because I'm not so tightly restricting myself I don't need those days very frequently. I'm more likely to eat at my GOAL weight maintenance calories than my current maintenance.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cheat is so negative. Turn it around... make it a treat. And treats don't have to be about food either.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There are 2 aspects to cheat days that need to be considered.

1) The Math
    Cheat days are fine as long as the math works out in your favor - i.e. the cals in are less than the cals out over time. How that math balances out will vary person to person depending on what their cheat day looks like. How many cals you take in on your cheat day and how often you have them will determine if they are detrimental and by how much.

1) The Psychology
    For some people, a planned cheat day gives them something to look forward to and helps them stay on track. For others, it doesn't. Some see it as a bailout or as being counterproductive. So whether or not it's beneficial mentally will vary person to person.

So as with most things in this arena, there is on 1 right answer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by the term...for a lot of people, they are regular go off the rails day and they can easily blunt progress which, particularly in the beginning can really bring you down and also result in a mistrust in the process.

Maintenance days here and there can actually be beneficial down the line in regards to adaptive thermogenesis and re-balancing hormones, etc.

As far as particular foods go, I eat pretty well most of the time...but we have pizza night once per week on average...desert night a couple nights per week, etc. I tend to look at my diet on the whole rather than this particular item is "bad" so having pizza night once per week really isn't particularly material to my overall diet.

• beccahun1
    beccahun1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a "no logging" day once a month (the first of each month).
    I don't necessarily "cheat" as I still eat gluten free and smart food choices, but I don't restrict either. I don't plan out what I'm going to eat that day and it tends to results in a bit of a weight gain but it is resolved fairly quickly. I find it takes me a day or two to get completely back on track after that day though, which is why I only do it once a month.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think - to each their own. My personal experience... it makes having salads and lean cuisines during the week more tolerable. I make sure I burn a significant amount of calories and still log everything I eat. If it's a cheat meal, I offset it with a lighter meal before or after. When I get closer to my goal weight... I won't be so strict. I need the structure to stay on track. And I usually have some candy without logging. Keeps me sane. haha
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I guess this all depends on the person. I've hit maintenance about 3 years ago. I don't do 'cheat days' - scheduled or unscheduled. I will have 'treats' - but I try to fit them into my day. I don't log food when I'm on vacation - but I don't go overboard as far as my eating goes either. Do what feels comfortable to you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want when I want and make it fit my calories. For me, it's about portion control (moderation) over deprivation .

And if I have a day where life happens and I go over, I just log it honestly and move on. No biggie over the long haul. :)