Macros help

Options
what macros i need to grow. Right now im 5'11 192 and looking to gain weight for strength and size. How do you breakdown the percent of fats protein and carbs i need to do this? Just dont kno where a good starting point would be. Right now im at 50% carbs 30% fats and 20% protein.

Replies

• jraper78
    jraper78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure, myself. I'm looking to gain as well. I'm 5'11, 165 lbs, and 17.8% body fat. I want to gain about 10 lbs of muscle and drop my body fat percent down to around 10 to 12%. I'm always tripping on how MFP calculates such high macros and micros. I always eat above the recommended caloric intake that MFP suggests because I'm trying to gain. I'm okay with the 50/30/20 method they use, but when looking at the suggested micros and 120 grams of sugar seems like onset diabetes to me. Haha! I know natural occurring sugars and added are far different, but still seems super high. American Heart Association and other sites say that we shouldn't have anymore than 35 grams a day of sugar for men, daily. Is this referring to added sugars, or overall combined sugars?
  • Aboodfitness
    Aboodfitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mslesnett wrote: »
    what macros i need to grow. Right now im 5'11 192 and looking to gain weight for strength and size. How do you breakdown the percent of fats protein and carbs i need to do this? Just dont kno where a good starting point would be. Right now im at 50% carbs 30% fats and 20% protein.

Upgrate the carbs to 60% and protein 30% and the fat 10%

That the right macros you should be on it to build muscle mass and clean bulk
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I go by the macros set by mfp according to my goals - seems to be working for me. Due to dietary restrictions I often don't hit the carbs one and go over on my fats.
  • mslesnett
    mslesnett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yea seems like im always short 50-60 grams of carbs and over my protein and fats
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    jraper78 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure, myself. I'm looking to gain as well. I'm 5'11, 165 lbs, and 17.8% body fat. I want to gain about 10 lbs of muscle and drop my body fat percent down to around 10 to 12%. I'm always tripping on how MFP calculates such high macros and micros. I always eat above the recommended caloric intake that MFP suggests because I'm trying to gain. I'm okay with the 50/30/20 method they use, but when looking at the suggested micros and 120 grams of sugar seems like onset diabetes to me. Haha! I know natural occurring sugars and added are far different, but still seems super high. American Heart Association and other sites say that we shouldn't have anymore than 35 grams a day of sugar for men, daily. Is this referring to added sugars, or overall combined sugars?

I think it's overall sugars?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating so little fat won't stop you gaining some fat as you bulk
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Macro's dont' make you grow... calories do. So step one is making sure you are eating enough calories to be in a surplus. In general, you should be looking at macros in grams per lb of lean body mass.

Pro: ~.8 to 1g
    Fats: .35 to .6
    Carbs: everything else.

There is some personal variability. I tend to aim for 1g of pro per lb of weight, and some people increase fats and decrease carbs based on satiety.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jraper78 wrote: »

First, sugars don't cause diabetes. Obesity, inactivity and genetics do. Second, your body doesn't know the difference between natural or non natural sugars. All carbs, including sugar, is broken down to glucose. The benefits of natural sugars is associated with the other nutrients (vitamins and minerals) and fiber. Third, at 17% body fat, you want to cut still. The more overfat you are, the less primed your body is to develop more muscle. As body fat goes up, insulin sensitivity decreases, making it easier to store nutrients as fat (more on calorie partitioning: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html/), 4. It will be very unlikely to gain a bunch of muscle and cut fat, at least concurrently. You can try a recomp, but to gain 10 lbs of muscle, it's going to take several years, pending you are a responder. What may be beneficial, is cut to get lean, then bulk and recut. Or cut to get lean and try a recomp (albeit slower).
  • psuLemon
    Options

Cutting fat that low is a good recipe for lowering testosterone, which will inhibit the ability to grow muscle. So don't do this.
  • mslesnett
    mslesnett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Cutting fat that low is a good recipe for lowering testosterone, which will inhibit the ability to grow muscle. So don't do this.
    Good input here thanks for the help
  • brenda_ihc
    brenda_ihc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great post guys. Any women out there that are trying to bulk. I am 5'3" and I want to grow my lower body to kind if even out. I seem to be shredding and I want to bulk. According to my bmi I should do 2100 calories to mantain and I was doing 40 protein 30 30 but I didnt grow much. Any suggestions?