Kids Sizes of Running Shoes for Adults

Options
oocdc2
oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
So, I had an epiphany: Asics is my favorite running shoe, and their kid's size 6 *should* fit my size 7.5 feet. (I do this at Payless all the time with good results.) The savings would be significant--has anyone tried this trick for running shoes?

I mean, they *are* Asics, so I would hope they would be of the same quality, but then...kids don't often have the foot issues adults do, so maybe skimping happens?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do not know the answer to this, but I was able to find a discussion on the subject (note: it's older and British) where several people seem under the strong impression that children's shoes have different specs than adult shoes.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/gear/juniors-shoes-vs-ladies-shoes/168294.html

This promotional material from Asics, hosted on eBay, says specifically that they construct their child shoes for a child foot: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Asics-Youth-Running-Shoe-Buying-Guide-/10000000178705749/g.html

Before doing this, I would consider your history of running injuries, how much support you need, and your overall weight (lighter people sometimes *tend* to get away with less forgiving shoes.

I would think the issue might be less "skimping" (especially in better brands) but that you're getting something that is designed for someone at a different stage of development.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I purchased kids running shoes to save $$. Not a wise investment. I think it is because a kids running shoe is narrower. Well I am guessing that is why I was getting so many blisters with them.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they're manufactured differently. I'm a size 5/38 and buy in whatever section suits. (And I'm far from light). I do believe that if you want trainers for running that you need to buy trainers that support the feet when running. Tennis players move differently to runners so they need different support etc.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm about a women's 6 and I wear the youth version of my shoe (Nike Free) and I cannot tell the difference at all. However, I'm fairly short/light and it's a pretty light shoe anyway, also I have no foot/knee issues pre-existing, so those might all be contributing factors.

I buy them for less than half the price of the ladies' version and it is a no-brainer to me...I think I've had at least 10 pairs since I switched.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to tell if your feet will fit is to try them on. I can't wear kids running or footie trainers (size 5.5) because the toe box isn't wide enough (square toes). But kids basketball trainers fit fine. As long as they fit you properly and you're not squeezing your foot in there won't be any issue, other than the usual ones you have with finding trainers that you like the feel of.

Blisters, cushioning, arch position, support etc are down to individual feet and the actual cut of the trainer, some trainers just aren't right for your feet, even ones by the same manufacturer. They're no different than any other clothing, it's all down to feel, fit and your body.

It's taken me ages to find running trainers that don't cause me issues (rubbish feet, bad back/knee) and they are barefoot/minimalist trainers, most cushioning causes me more issues than it helps.

So try range of kids trainers on in the store against the adults and see what you think, you know your feet and what fits them and what will cause issues. If the kids ones fit, get them.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks! I'm 5' 3"/125 lbs., so this could work load-wise. (I wouldn't have tried this at my start weight.) I ordered the shoes from Amazon today, so I'll just have to wait until they get here and then try them on. I also wear orthotics, so that might help with any design shortcomings of adult vs. kid. I'll post back when I have them. :smile: