Low carb high fat

Options
Anyone out there doing the lchf diet ? Tell me if so how you started and how this app has helped with tracking

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I started slowly back at the beginning of September 2014 and eased my way into it. I avoided the Keto flu that way. I didn't intentionally plan that but I'm glad it worked out like that. First month I aimed for 100 carbs / day. Second month I aimed for 75 carbs / day. Third month I aimed for 50 carbs / day, etc. Now on any given day my total carbs range from about 20-35. So far I've successfully eliminated 147 pounds (just about 1/2 of my body weight). I've still got a little over 20 pounds left to go though. MFP has definitely helped me with tracking. I don't think I would be anywhere near as far along as I am now due in large part to religiously tracking / logging in MFP. The app has helped me figure out exactly how much fat / protien / carbs per meal I need in order to consistently hit my macro goals on a daily basis and that is something I wouldn't know had it not been for the help of this app. I also suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Stop by and say hello. Goof luck to you!
  • mrsrosep
    mrsrosep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I join the lchf forum,
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I started last fall by eliminating as much sugar as possible. This year I eliminated the rest of the carbs. I try to keep it to under 50 carbs a day. I keep my ratios at 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. I've found that I usually go over in fat each day but that hasn't prevented any weight loss. The app here helped me make choices about my food (I can put in a food item and check the carb content before I eat). It also allows me to plan out my meals in advance. It keeps me honest.

You CAN do it. I won't lie to you though, the first week on it is pretty brutal. Very tired, fuzzy headed, headache....and did I mention tired? If you get a headache, add a little salt to your food and add a magnesium supplement to your diet. Remember that you can lose weight without staying under your calorie allowance, its ok to go over fat grams and calories, don't starve yourself and when the side effects get to be too much, eat a little bit of carbs (I have a no sugar added fruit bowl). You don't want to not be able to function.

I've never been a fan of anything other than low calorie, healthy food kind of diet because is a way of life that has to become sustainable. Fad diets usually aren't. However, my doctor put me on it for medical reasons and I feel pretty good so far (once I got past the first week). I will break down and have carbs at some point (I'm craving a piece of chocolate right now) but this is doable. Just think outside the box when it comes to food. I went out to dinner last night, had grilled salmon with grilled zucchini and a side salad. I was stuffed and the whole meal was only about six carbs. Google low carb recipes, you will get tons of ideas. I found one to make a pizza crust out of cream cheese...I can't wait to try that one.

Good luck to you!!!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mrsrosep wrote: »
    How do I join the lchf forum,

go to http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and click on the green Join button.

Do it on a proper computer if your phone or app or whatever doesn't render it properly.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there doing the lchf diet ? Tell me if so how you started and how this app has helped with tracking

I didn't initially use MFP, until I decided to tighten up control and like the barcode scanning feature.

I started following the "New Atkins New You" induction phase.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    YUP. Love it! And pretty much see Ladipoets response above. She says it all! I'm at 6% carbs (20g net), 24% protein (84g) and 70% fat (110g). It has been a life changer for sure! I have more energy than I ever though possible.
  • TexasJohnnyBravo
    TexasJohnnyBravo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did the LCHF last year and dropped 50lbs in only a couple months. Now to be honest it was more of a NCHF. I wouldn't touch anything that had carbs in it. Unless it was in the form of fiber. Some people really struggle at the beginning as the body depletes itself of all those carbs and goes into that Ketogenic state, others dont. Lucky I was one of the latter. Right now I am on it again and working to stay on it permanently. This time I am going to actually consume carbs though so my weight loss will be much slower. I'm doing a 65/30/5 (fat/protein/carb) ratio right now. One thing that improved dramatically was my Cholesterol and triglyceride levels. My doctor was impressed with how much they improved in just a 3 month period. I like to keep statistics on my blood sugars, BP, blood ketones, weight etc. But that's just me. It shows me if what I'm doing is working or if I need to tweak it a bit. Add me if you like and message me if you ever have any questions. I am in no way an expert but I've been down this road before and I am more than willing to give you some pointers.
  • allinbub
    allinbub Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what your daily food looks like? I'm stumped how to eat like that
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    allinbub wrote: »

@allinbub ...My diary is open so feel free to snoop through it...however, please also keep in mind that I cook 90-95% of everything logged in my diary at home including treats / deserts / goodies, etc.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started with 1 month of no added sugar then 1 month of no heavy carbs (bread, pasta, rice and potatoes ) then i started tracking.
    Almost 3 months in on very low carb and 35lbs (16kg) down
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    allinbub wrote: »

Honestly it's a lot of meat and green veg with dairy.
    Bunless burgers
    Taco salad

You can sub out so many carb items from your normal foods and replace them.