Is it worth staying on WW

Options
Like the title says. I been on weight watchers and have not lost anything. I work 3 days a week . On my off time I do bodypump zumba and walk. My garmin say on average day I can burn 2500 calories. I ready to throw in the towel and give up. Please help

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    Well, this site is free and you don't have to go to meetings.

Many of us have lost a lot of weight using this site. Have you started logging your food here or are you still using the WW system to track your food?
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am currently on on weight watchers
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I joined here because I'm overweight and unemployed and can't afford WW's fees. I'm finding that MFP is working better for me than WW ever did. Of course, I can only speak for myself, but now that I know this place exists, even if I landed a job or won the lottery tomorrow, I'd stick with this site.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    lostemt wrote: »
    I ready to throw in the towel and give up. Please help

Every time I read someone say this I have one question pop into my mind. It sounds kitteny but it's probably worth saying.

What exactly do you think you'll achieve by giving up?

Giving up will get you exactly nowhere. Obviously, WW isn't working for you. But instead of throwing in the towel and giving up - you have this site. Have you tried logging and tracking the MFP way?
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do you find meetings supportive and helpful? If not, what benefit is there? It has been over 10 years for me, but having found MFP and used successfully, I'd never consider WW again.
  • jlr_405
    jlr_405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed my time with Weight Watchers and really was sad that i had to cancel my subscription. This app has really been a blessing, i have been losing more weight with it than i ever did on Weight Watchers. Another positive is that it is free. I liked the tracking ability that WW offers, so that fact that i can track with this app is a plus. Good luck
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Cancelled WW last month. Like MFP far better - macros/nutrients, true calories with no "free" foods that can totally negate any deficit, much more diverse and successful community and I learn a lot more here. Only benefit of WW in my opinion is meetings for those who like that kind of thing. I found them excruciating.
  • jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had great success on weight watchers for 3 months and if I could afford it I would go back in a heartbeat. Really boosted my goals and helped get me in the right mindset. The community is really supportive if you signed up for connect which is a bonus. I think it all comes down to what works best for you.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lostemt wrote: »
    Like the title says. I been on weight watchers and have not lost anything. I work 3 days a week . On my off time I do bodypump zumba and walk. My garmin say on average day I can burn 2500 calories. I ready to throw in the towel and give up. Please help

Out of curiosity, since you're on the WW program have you posted this question in that community? It seems to me you might get better feedback from people doing the same program?
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My step mother has had GREAT success with weight watchers. She lost somewhere between 40-60lbs. If you're not having any success with it, then you have to realize that maybe it's not for you! Or you may want to sit down with someone at WW and have them help you figure out what is going wrong and how to fix it. Don't give up! Let's explore our options!

1. Meet with someone who runs the program. Tell them your frustrations and see what advice they can give you. If that advice works, great!

2. Reexamine your exercise & the calories you're getting back from it. In order for me to have 2,000 calories to spend for the entire day (starting with a base of 1200), I have to be breaking myself on my bike trainer for 2 hours (expending ~130watts of power average) to get that extra 800 calories. I'm a long distance endurance cyclist, and while I'm not saying it's impossible for you to do this, chances are you are not putting forth that much effort, plus another hour and a half's worth, to get 2500 total by doing zumba and bodypump (this is all working off the assumption that your daily calorie goal is 1200. If it's higher, such as 1500, my point still stands on how much effort you'd have to put forth just to burn 1000 extra calories).

3. Reexamine your food. As a previous poster mentioned, some foods that WW may consider to be "free" may not be at all. For me, 100-200 calories can make or break my day at this point (I'm 5'6, 141, and trying to push down to 130). An apple is usually 80 calories (average). If you eat five applies, you just ate 400 calories! While nutritious, it's certainly not free. Even broccoli can run up a tally if you eat a lot of it (although you would have to eat A LOT!). It is amazing how 30 calories here, 50 calories there, can add up.

4. In addition to point 4, ever consider weighing your food? Even if you do WW, serving sizes can be difficult to determine (when I started, I was shocked to realize I was usually eating 7-8oz of meat instead of 3!) Food labels can also be terribly inaccurate (A can of green beans says that there are 3.5 servings but after weighing, I've found that there's usually 1.5 - 1.75). Doing this may help you continue to use the WW system, but make sure you are eating true serving sizes.

5. If none of that works, it may be time to see your doctor and rule out medical issues!

Good luck :smile:
  • ValkyrieFury79
    ValkyrieFury79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVED WW!!! When i stuck to and committed - it truly worked. I lost the most weight when i was on it. Thank God for WW because when I lost a bunch of weight, I was able to feel a lump in my lower abdomen and when I got it checked out, it was found to be ovarian cancer (tumor). I would have never felt it had I not lost all that weight. If you really stay by it and actually go by 1 -2 points of your allotted per day - you WILL LOSE.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My step mother has had GREAT success with weight watchers. She lost somewhere between 40-60lbs. If you're not having any success with it, then you have to realize that maybe it's not for you! Or you may want to sit down with someone at WW and have them help you figure out what is going wrong and how to fix it. Don't give up! Let's explore our options!

1. Meet with someone who runs the program. Tell them your frustrations and see what advice they can give you. If that advice works, great!

2. Reexamine your exercise & the calories you're getting back from it. In order for me to have 2,000 calories to spend for the entire day (starting with a base of 1200), I have to be breaking myself on my bike trainer for 2 hours (expending ~130watts of power average) to get that extra 800 calories. I'm a long distance endurance cyclist, and while I'm not saying it's impossible for you to do this, chances are you are not putting forth that much effort, plus another hour and a half's worth, to get 2500 total by doing zumba and bodypump (this is all working off the assumption that your daily calorie goal is 1200. If it's higher, such as 1500, my point still stands on how much effort you'd have to put forth just to burn 1000 extra calories).

3. Reexamine your food. As a previous poster mentioned, some foods that WW may consider to be "free" may not be at all. For me, 100-200 calories can make or break my day at this point (I'm 5'6, 141, and trying to push down to 130). An apple is usually 80 calories (average). If you eat five applies, you just ate 400 calories! While nutritious, it's certainly not free. Even broccoli can run up a tally if you eat a lot of it (although you would have to eat A LOT!). It is amazing how 30 calories here, 50 calories there, can add up.

4. In addition to point 4, ever consider weighing your food? Even if you do WW, serving sizes can be difficult to determine (when I started, I was shocked to realize I was usually eating 7-8oz of meat instead of 3!) Food labels can also be terribly inaccurate (A can of green beans says that there are 3.5 servings but after weighing, I've found that there's usually 1.5 - 1.75). Doing this may help you continue to use the WW system, but make sure you are eating true serving sizes.

5. If none of that works, it may be time to see your doctor and rule out medical issues!

Good luck :smile:

This is excellent advise. I have done WW and have had success. Examine what you are eating on WW, if you are eating your exercise points and if you are being accurate in tracking (i.e. weighing foods, etc.).
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have had great success on WW, however the new program offers no caloric consistency or stability. I have been yoyoing with the same 5 to 8 lbs for a year since the changeover to the new program. I get 30 pts but that 30 can be anywhere from 1200 to 2000 calories (according to my logs here), and now that I'm a lot smaller that's a heck of a lot of difference. It means losing one week or gaining the next. Exactly what's happening! I like the meetings, the materials, and the friendships I've made there. Those are the only things that keep me going back. But here my food choices are more flexible, and it's so much easier to flip over a package and look at the info than to pull out a phone or a book to look up Points. Plus consistent (though slow) losses! You need to decide which is more worth it to you.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs on MFP last year but fell off of the wagon after vacation and then started working from home full time. I gained 30 lbs back and it was quick. I decided to try WW a few weeks ago for something different and the no counting fruits and vegetables. I liked it at first but I'm so used to counting calories that the point thing was a hard adjustment. Small, lower calorie meals I used to eat regularly on MFP were too high in points on WW. I realized that trying to adjust to WW was making me depressed. I quit yesterday and came back to MFP.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Agree with @mph323 . First ask the supervisor of your WW group for possible errors. Provide her/him with your food- and activity-logs this should give your supervisor a good hint.

Reducing weight with WW usually works quite fine if you stick close to the program (and track all your food with accuracy), what WW is not very good in is helping you to keep your goal-weight.
    Its an expensive way to lose weight, but that in itself doesn't make it useless.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had great success on WW, however the new program offers no caloric consistency or stability. I have been yoyoing with the same 5 to 8 lbs for a year since the changeover to the new program. I get 30 pts but that 30 can be anywhere from 1200 to 2000 calories (according to my logs here), and now that I'm a lot smaller that's a heck of a lot of difference. It means losing one week or gaining the next. Exactly what's happening! I like the meetings, the materials, and the friendships I've made there. Those are the only things that keep me going back. But here my food choices are more flexible, and it's so much easier to flip over a package and look at the info than to pull out a phone or a book to look up Points. Plus consistent (though slow) losses! You need to decide which is more worth it to you.

Agree with ⬆️ I think it works much better for people with a lot to lose. It's just not tight enough for those with less to lose - you have to pretty exact in your caloric intake when you only have a 250 deficit.