1 month in and no difference!!

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think then, as clearly I'm underestimating calories even when weighing, I'm going to have to aim for a lower net goal or maybe 1000
    I'll stop eating back my calories from walking too
    Just can't understand how gym sessions are having no impact especially when you combine it with the low calories (even if it's not as low as apparently it needs to be it's still pretty low)
    Don't you think that shows there's some issue ?

I think you are putting your body in starvation mode. The time between meals( no more than 3 hours EVER), when you eat (ie after workout equal carbs and protein grams and nothing 2 hours before cardio), fasted morning cardio before breakfast and so on may be causing problems.

no
  • TavistockToad
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think then, as clearly I'm underestimating calories even when weighing, I'm going to have to aim for a lower net goal or maybe 1000
    Just can't understand how gym sessions are having no impact especially when you combine it with the low calories (even if it's not as low as apparently it needs to be it's still pretty low)

to be honest your calorie burns seem rather high for your weight, but if you're only eating 1200-ish cals, you should be losing.

if you're logging accurately then it could be time for a visit to the doctors to check out thyroid etc.

though i still maintain that 4 weeks isnt long enough to see results especially when you add in the bloating from constipation
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's been one week since you last posted, and you don't have much to lose.

Are you weighing daily or weekly? Weekly may mask losses. But even daily may not show a loss for a bit, especially with little to lose.

I think you have unrealistic expectations. No, you should not lower your calories. If you're certain you are being accurate in both weighing your food and choosing correct database entries and you are not eating back exercise calories, you really should be in a deficit. While all numbers are just estimates and you may have to adjust, at 1200 without eating exercise calories, you need to be patient - you should wait 4-6 weeks before making changes. Seriously. THEN make one change if necessary and wait another 4-6 weeks. I know you're not going to like that answer, but expecting weekly changes is unrealistic and you're going to continue driving yourself crazy.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BMR should be the absolute lowest number of calories you consume. That is what fuels your heart, kidneys, and other parts of you that operate whether or not you ever get out of bed in the morning.

This is not true. As someone who spends most of my day on bedrest the only way to lose weight is to eat below BMR (mine is 1450 and I've lost all my weight eating at about 200cal deficit).

Also there is no health/scientific reason one should not eat below BMR while trying to lose weight. Here is why:

Let's say your BMR is 1500 and you burn 300 in exercise. Then suppose you eat 1500 which makes your deficit that day 300. Well, it is not like your BMR takes the 1500 energy from your food alone and the exercise only from your fat reserves. Obviously it is all mixed and some energy is taken from your food, some from your fats for either intentiomal exercise or other body processes (which your body doesn't distinguish), that is there is no devision in your body where to take the energy from for a particular activity. Therefore to support your organs, like you say, the body can (and does) tap in your fat reserves everyday (for everyone on deficit of any kind, that is you including) and there is nothing dangerous or unhealthy about it.
  • jbcisney
    jbcisney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try "Smooth Move" tea, it will help things along naturally...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    BMR should be the absolute lowest number of calories you consume. That is what fuels your heart, kidneys, and other parts of you that operate whether or not you ever get out of bed in the morning.

This is not true. As someone who spends most of my day on bedrest the only way to lose weight is to eat below BMR (mine is 1450 and I've lost all my weight eating at about 200cal deficit).

Also there is no health/scientific reason one should not eat below BMR while trying to lose weight. Here is why:

Let's say your BMR is 1500 and you burn 300 in exercise. Then suppose you eat 1500 which makes your deficit that day 300. Well, it is not like your BMR takes the 1500 energy from your food alone and the exercise only from your fat reserves. Obviously it is all mixed and some energy is taken from your food, some from your fats for either intentiomal exercise or other body processes (which your body doesn't distinguish), that is there is no devision in your body where to take the energy from for a particular activity. Therefore to support your organs, like you say, the body can (and does) tap in your fat reserves everyday (for everyone on deficit of any kind, that is you including) and there is nothing dangerous or unhealthy about it.

the fact that you are on bed rest makes you different from the majority of people who should NOT eat below BMR.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

the fact that you are on bed rest makes you different from the majority of people who should NOT eat below BMR.

Did you just not read my post? Only the first sentence? Really?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    jbcisney wrote: »
    Try "Smooth Move" tea, it will help things along naturally...

Laxative use is not helping things move along naturally.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I think you are putting your body in starvation mode. The time between meals( no more than 3 hours EVER), when you eat (ie after workout equal carbs and protein grams and nothing 2 hours before cardio), fasted morning cardio before breakfast and so on may be causing problems.

no

Personally 7 months and 60 pounds lost is what I base this on. Not all bodies are the same and metabolic history will take a part in this as well.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »

Just...what is this foolishness? If you should never let three hours pass between meals, how do you sleep at night when all those precious meal window times are being abandoned? I don't know where you heard or read this but it's absolute nonsense.

losing 60 lbs in 7 months is what I base this on .... not everyone is the same. Do what works for you :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just...what is this foolishness? If you should never let three hours pass between meals, how do you sleep at night when all those precious meal window times are being abandoned? I don't know where you heard or read this but it's absolute nonsense.

losing 60 lbs in 7 months is what I base this on .... not everyone is the same. Do what works for you :)

You lost weight because you were eating in a calorie deficit. The frequency and timing of your eating had nothing to do with it outside of the fact that it was something you were able to stick to that created said deficit.

There is no such thing as starvation mode as you represent it in your post.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

this is absolute garbage advice...ignore this and listen to the others!
  • Lipsmahoney
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

You lost weight because you were eating in a calorie deficit. The frequency and timing of your eating had nothing to do with it outside of the fact that it was something you were able to stick to that created said deficit.

As a health professional with expertise in the area... we could argue all day. People need to do what works for them and finding that formula is as individual as your finger print.
    :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

As a health professional with expertise in the area... we could argue all day. People need to do what works for them and finding that formula is as individual as your finger print.

You can argue against the fact that a calorie deficit is required to lose weight? Do you have sources to back that up?
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Starvation mode as you describe it is a myth and meal time doesn't matter the amount of calories you eat does.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Options

scary that a "healthcare professional" believes in starvation mode and doesn't believe in calorie deficit for weight loss???

Oh I don't believe anyone should put them selves in starvation mode. I am saying the opposite. I am saying that you need to eat enough ...eating too little is dangerous. I personally ate double in the last few months from what I used to and lost weight. You misread the posts. Not a good idea to make the calorie deficit gap too large. I appreciate the concern of miscommunication.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

scary that a "healthcare professional" believes in starvation mode and doesn't believe in calorie deficit for weight loss???

Oh I don't believe anyone should put them selves in starvation mode. I am saying the opposite. I am saying that you need to eat enough ...eating too little is dangerous. I personally ate double in the last few months from what I used to and lost weight. You misread the posts. Not a good idea to make the calorie deficit gap too large. I appreciate the concern of miscommunication.

No the misunderstanding is that starvation mode is a thing. It is a myth. If you eat too little you will continue to lose weight.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Yep. I tried to tell my doctor (who specializes in treating obesity, btw) that I was not going to be able to follow the 1200 calorie diet he put me on because my BMR was higher than that and I would get deathly ill, and he and the nurse had a good laugh. Then as the pounds started dropping off and my health started improving by leaps and bounds, we all had a good laugh.