Has anyone tried the apple cider vinegar thing?

Options
Apple cider vinegar with water before each meal? I want to try it, I don't have braggs brand but I have costco. It has the "mother" and its organic. Let me know if you have tried it and how fast you saw results!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of threads with this. ACV has no magical weight loss benefits other than placebo effects. Also very good in pulled pork.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It results in nothing but nasty water. It doesn't actually help weight loss.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I use it in salad dressings, as a hair rinse (diluted) and to clean leather shoes before applying a new layer of shoe polish (also diluted). It helps some people with acid reflux.

It can also cause damage to teeth (acidic substances aren't good for them...), so I'd be very careful about how you ingest it.

It has no proven effect in helping losing weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What sort of results are you looking for?
    A decrease in tooth enamel?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Shineylou wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar with water before each meal? I want to try it, I don't have braggs brand but I have costco. It has the "mother" and its organic. Let me know if you have tried it and how fast you saw results!

Depends on what results you're looking for. Fat loss? No effect. Appetite reduction? Some people claim it, but I can't see it being worth the trouble when coffee and tea do the same thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Like ALL "new" diet fads, this latest one has little effect on weight loss or really any health improvement. I hate that people like Dr. Oz promote this BS to their audiences with exaggerated claims, but in today's world people are looking for whatever they can to drop a few pounds.
    It STILL hasn't changed after decades.........................eat less than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ive tried it for a week and of course we know there is no miracle drink for losing weight but it definitely curbed my appetite and I noticed I didn't have any cravings to eat and I just felt fuller. it also helps with my acid reflux. people are so quick to knock something someone else wants to do down. I say try it and if you don't like it move on.
  • bobglosson_
    bobglosson_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, no major results, controlling blood sugar, it works GREAT
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've copied and pasted what I said on another recent thread:

I drink a shot of ACV before meals everyday. It does indeed control MY appetite (I can't speak for others). It allows me to practice portion control and I am not hungry after my meals. I do not snack. Last month I lost 24 pounds by controlling my food and appetite. I know some of it was water weight, but I'm still on the losing trend. Also, right now I have a fractured foot and my exercise is limited. ACV has been helpful for me. P.S. I drink ACV straight followed by a chug of water.

Call it what you want -- placebo or whatever. It works for me and I am continuing to use it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    ive tried it for a week and of course we know there is no miracle drink for losing weight but it definitely curbed my appetite and I noticed I didn't have any cravings to eat and I just felt fuller. it also helps with my acid reflux. people are so quick to knock something someone else wants to do down. I say try it and if you don't like it move on.

People are quick to knock it because they have actually researched studies of it. ACV has been touted as something that causes weight loss since the 1970s at the very least. If it actually worked everyone would be using it. It does not cause weight loss. It may help with acid reflux. It is definitely great for making pulled pork, which reminds me, I have a pork shoulder that I need to cook up today.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options

What does having 'mother' mean?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any weight loss benefits, but I buy Braggs by the half gallon. I use it in all my salad dressings, bbq sauces and I do a shot of it each morning. It works great to keep my Gout in check.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »

Apple cider vinegar is a fermented apple cider that ferments not using yeast, but a yeast/bacteria symbiotic organism called "mother" which turns it into vinegar.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love it in salad dressings, and on occasion I put a splash in 16 oz of stevia sweetened ice tea, the sweet/sour is nice that way kind of like other fermented drinks. Actually there are studies that prove that having good gut bacteria aids in fat loss ALONG WITH THE CALORIE DEFICIT. So it's not that the cider causes fat loss, its just that having bad gut flora can HINDER fat loss. It's still always about the calorie deficit though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »

Apple cider vinegar is a fermented apple cider that ferments not using yeast, but a yeast/bacteria symbiotic organism called "mother" which turns it into vinegar.
    And the "sweat" from this organism is the vinegar. So you all are drinking sweat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mfurgiuele90
    mfurgiuele90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do take apple cider vinegar tablets daily. I have tried drinking it in water but it is DISGUSTING!!! I cannot handle it.

Do I think it has helped in weight loss, not really to be honest. I am more of a binge eater so I cannot comment if it curbs appetite as that is not necessarily my issue. I eat hungry or not lol

It does help with my bad bad acid reflux. Also best face toner EVER (diluted of course). Keeps the PH balance of your skin and is super cheap alternative to store bought toners.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    When I looking for ways to lose weight, I did some research into it and found nothing reliable (peer reviewed from good scientific sources) to back up the claims about it.

Since I don't really care for vinegar in the first place, I quickly moved on to looking for something that would actually produce results.

I've lost almost 95 pounds by creating a calorie deficit and learning to manage my hunger by finding which foods keep me full.

If you enjoy the taste of ACV, there's nothing wrong with incorporating it into your meals, but I never personally found any real substantive scientific research out there to substantiate any evidence of it helping with weight loss.