PCOS and weight loss.

Options
emsilly22
emsilly22 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2017 in Recipes
Having a hard time! Eating 1200-1600 calories a day, burning 500-1000 calories in work outs. It's been almost a month and only 4.6 lbs off. I got frustrated and ate bad yesterday. Suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• emsilly22
    Options
    Would love to add some friends on here too.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi! I eat 1200 calories/day. I've been doing it for 3 weeks (tomorrow) and I'm down 3 lbs. Technically, .5-1 lb/week is perfectly normal and average for most people. I notice that if I stop drinking soda (used to drink 1-12oz bottle/day of Diet Pepsi) and I increased more water (I make sure I drink my 64oz/day) that helps each week at WI (Wednesday). I also noticed that I become obsessed and generally upset if I weigh myself every day. I have decided to only weigh myself on Wednesday morning and log it. Good Luck! Feel free to add me if you need/want more friends and support.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Your weight-loss rate is good. Perhaps you need to reset your expectations.

If you're eating back your exercise calories, make sure you're not overestimating your burn. It's very easy to do.

There are lots of good PCOS threads on here. Short version of what works for me:
    1. Set to 1.5 lbs/week.
    2. 150g carbs or fewer.
    3. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week.

Insulin is an issue, so lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They also help with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane. It can also drive down testosterone levels, which helps reduce some of the less pleasant symptoms.

I started at 248 and am now at 209.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You should only be losing 0.5-2 pounds per week which is dependent on your current body weight. Almost 5 pounds in a month is pretty good and should be commended. Just curious how you are burning 1000 calories a workout? Also are you weighing your food in grams and logging everything?
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    tried to send you a message but it doesn't seem to have worked :(

I'd love to connect and share anything I find which helps me?
  • emsilly22
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    You should only be losing 0.5-2 pounds per week which is dependent on your current body weight. Almost 5 pounds in a month is pretty good and should be commended. Just curious how you are burning 1000 calories a workout? Also are you weighing your food in grams and logging everything?

I think that the elliptical that I use overestimates calorie burn. I work out for 45 min - 1 hour on it usually and it says 1000 calories burned with my weight input.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    emsilly22 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

I think that the elliptical that I use overestimates calorie burn. I work out for 45 min - 1 hour on it usually and it says 1000 calories burned with my weight input.

Use a HRM with a chest strap for cardio. Machines are notoriously wrong.
  • emsilly22
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Your weight-loss rate is good. Perhaps you need to reset your expectations.

If you're eating back your exercise calories, make sure you're not overestimating your burn. It's very easy to do.

There are lots of good PCOS threads on here. Short version of what works for me:
    1. Set to 1.5 lbs/week.
    2. 150g carbs or fewer.
    3. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week.

Insulin is an issue, so lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They also help with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane. It can also drive down testosterone levels, which helps reduce some of the less pleasant symptoms.

I started at 248 and am now at 209.

Thank you! I'm getting back to lower carb starting yesterday.