Having cookies every night?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I really admire everyone who can have one or two cookies. That's awesome. Cookies and chocolate are my kryptonite. I allow for a once a month indulgence if I have hormonal cravings. I didn't get those cravings this month. So no treats. I'm an abstainer for the most part. Not very good at moderating. But thankfully I don't feel deprived.

BTW- I can eat an entire box of caramel delites Girl Scout cookies in one sitting. So I don't buy them.

I'm a hoarder when it comes to food. I'd rather have a box of cookies in the cupboard in case I happen to feel hungry for a cookie than to eat the whole thing in one sitting ... and then not have any for tomorrow or later in the week.

But I end up forgetting about food in the back of my cupboard and tossing half-eaten boxes of cookies etc. because they've gone stale.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Kelimek wrote: »
    I kind of doubt you get enough nutritions for 1200-1700 kcal when you eat 3 extra cookies. According to MFP 3 cookies = 480 kcals of mostly carbs and fat ? Once or twice a week it should be ok, but I don't think doing it everyday is a good idea.

That looks high for what it is...esp knowing the size of Girl Scout Cookies. I also see 160cals per serving (3 cookies) in the database? Maybe OP can clarify.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    3 of those cookies is 160 calories. No idea where this 480 calories came from. I eat around 1400 a day and always fit around 200 calories of a treat in my day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    3 of those cookies is 160 calories. No idea where this 480 calories came from. I eat around 1400 a day and always fit around 200 calories of a treat in my day.

I suspect they looked up in the database and didn't realize the serving size is 3 cookies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I suspect they looked up in the database and didn't realize the serving size is 3 cookies.

Ah, that math would make sense, yes.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Ah, that math would make sense, yes.

I just double checked and there is an entry for 100 g of do si dos which is 478 calories. So, apparently they picked the "realistic serving that I am actually going to eat" rather than the "recommended serving so we can list a modest amount of calories on our box." :D

I do really miss the days when I could sit down and wipe out a sleeve of thin mints without a second thought, and things just seemed to magically burn themselves off.
  • Kelimek
    Kelimek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I apologize for providing bad calorie info on do-si-do's. Just added whatever came first and didn't check other options. 1 cookie = 160 kcal, so 1 container (3 cookies) = 480kcal and it was confirmed by 3 people. Anyway I've never tried them so no idea about serving size :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout cookies are the devil! Having said that, I ordered 2 boxes myself haha. I'll probably just exercise and increase my deficit for a week, then snack on them on the weekend when we get them. I'll also be handing them out to the grand kids so that'll help a bit. But as long as you have the calories I say eat them. No harm done. Well.. unless you're diabetic then maybe some harm.. ;)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Are Girl Scout cookies really as good as they say? They don't sell them in the UK (I don't know why, we have Scouts so you'd think they would?) so they're kind of the stuff of legend.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Are Girl Scout cookies really as good as they say? They don't sell them in the UK (I don't know why, we have Scouts so you'd think they would?) so they're kind of the stuff of legend.

To be completely honest, I think a lot of the love of girl scout cookies has to do with them only being available for a short window of time each year. If they were available all the time, I don't think they would be as popular. For example, Keebler makes some cookies that are very similar to girl scout cookies and people don't rave about those.

That being said, I do wait all year for my box of Tagalongs and Thin Mints and I think my husband would protest if they ever stopped making Trefoils.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I eat 1500-1800 cals per day and I find room for treats every night. If you can find room in your daily calories then go for it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think they are fairly mediocre. Also, there are equivalent or even better cookies for a fraction of the price. It's like $4 a box and they are small.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're a fan of CICO, then eat the dang cookies! I have chocolate every day. I'm in the middle of revising for horrible exams, so if I don't have a sweet treat I lose the plot. But I also exercise every day and make sure that I have the calorie allowance for it.

If I haven't exercised that day, and j don't have the calories for it and I KNOW I won't get on the treadmill before bed, I don't eat the chocolate. But tbh, I love chocolate so much that I almost AWAYS get on the treadmill.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Nah. They really aren't. I do love the shortbread cookies, but they're are many other cookies on store shelves that are as good or better. And I expect that the UK has lots of excellent shortbread cookie options! :)
  • hooperlious1955
    hooperlious1955 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a return member of MFP. Those Thin Mints are so awesome I eat my serving on the weekend both Saturday & Sunday. LOl

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Not in particular. I think a lot of it is sentimental value--people just really like to support a good program for girls (or the popcorn that the Boy Scouts sell) and it's been going on so long, many of us have fond memories of selling them ourselves, or seeing daughters, nieces, sisters, neighbors, etc. selling them. Keebler Grasshoppers are fairly similar to Thin Mints, for example.

ETA: Here is a very amusing article on Girl Scout cookies vs. their Keebler knock-offs: http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/girl-fight-girl-scout-cookies-versus-keeblers-knock-off-girl-scout-cookies-7035325
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    They're about the same as any packaged cookie really. I like buying them to support the organization, especially with the controversy that's come from the Boy Scouts, and like being able to send something nice for the troops.

And personally, I usually have something sweet every nonfast day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Are Girl Scout cookies really as good as they say?

No.

I've tried them a few times when I lived in Canada and was completely underwhelmed.

People only buy them to support a good cause.