Crossfit, counting calories, no weight loss!

Options

Replies

• Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You can eat sugar and carbs. Just stay under your calorie goal.

At your height and weight there is no way you won't be losing weight at 1600 kcal a day. You could probably lose weight eating 2000 kcal a day. Just make sure you are counting accurately by using a food scale and the right entries in the database.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Diary is open for anyone who wants to look. This last week has been bad, I'll admit it, but before then? What was I doing wrong?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Diary is open for anyone who wants to look. This last week has been bad, I'll admit it, but before then? What was I doing wrong?

Your diary isn't open...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And your diary isn't open.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options

Your diary isn't open...

I put it to public.....let me try again.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Okay, try the diary again. Thanks for your help everyone.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Okay, try the diary again. Thanks for your help everyone.

Ok first glance...

Using 'cups' and 'crackers' for serving sizes is gonna yield inaccuracy.

Food packaging is allowed to be 20% off. By not weighing your crackers, you are taking the manufacturer's word for it and likely overeating.

Do you use a ruler to measure out your banana? Weigh it and log it using a USDA entry.

Pop tarts are fine...so are crackers but you need to accurately track them. Which is not what you are doing.

I had a granola bar a few days ago that said the bar was 140 calories for one bar (45g). I weighed it and the bar was 50g. That bumped my calorie count up.

You do that multiple times a day and there goes your deficit.

Oh wow. Yeah, that would explain it. I had no idea it was so complex
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping an eye on your sodium levels? I saw that you noted soup and crackers, some of those can be really high in sodium. I find that I get puffy in my hands and face the day after I've had too much sodium, and usually either gain a bit or stay the same weight wise. A lot of processed (boxed, canned, bottled) have crazy high amounts. I used a bit of organic pasta sauce the other night on some meatballs and logged it in. It wasn't until I saw my daily totals that I realized it had almost half of my daily sodium in 1/2 c of the stuff. YIKES!

I do agree with everyone about accurately tracking your food by measuring and weighing with a scale. I know it's a bummer but it really does help sometimes.

:)
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    matchbox_girl, what would you consider a "good" day and what would you consider a "bad" day in your diary?

I started crossfit in 2013 and GAINED weight. i started eating whatever i felt like, told myself that because i was stronger, it was ok to do so, and the scale reflected it.

after a while, i realized that i needed to focus on getting my food from quality sources (whole grains, vegetables, lean meats, nuts) and that i needed to be aware of the nutritional breakdown of those foods. i started by eating 0.75-1gram of protein per pound of body weight. research says it's a good rule of thumb.

i also gave myself a 20g protein rule: i could eat whatever snack i wanted, but i needed to have 20g protein first.

from there, i started to lose weight. i began focusing on losing fat instead of generic weight so i started looking at nutrient timing and macro tracking...but that's all fluff.

1.) look at a tdee calculator like this one: https://tdeecalculator.net/
    2.) take a gander at the numbers under macronutrient section. specifically protein.
    3.) start trying to hit that number of protein grams in what you eat for the day.
    4.) focus on feeding your body and taking care of it with whole, quality foods.
    5.) drink water
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I recently started a beginner crossfit class once a week. Some workouts are intense, but the intensity is so short. Maybe it's different at your gym, but our WODs never take more then 15-20 minutes. A lot of times they are less than 10min. Even if it's all out for 20 minutes I just don't see that I'm burning that many calories. I'm no expert though. I'm sure the advanced classes burn way more calories. But seeing as you just started...

It just may be a reason why you are not losing as much weight as you think you should. It really comes down to what goes on in the kitchen. You can easily wipe out a deficit created by exercising in a few minutes. Crackers, pop tarts, etc. - those calories add up fast!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Thanks all. I'm impatient but I know I can't be in this journey.

Sugar really gets me. Sugar and carbs is probably what's hindering me. I just don't want to admit it.

But I just did.

Sugar and carbs won't hinder your weight loss, only calories. But sugar and simple carbs can definitely make you crave and overeat foods in general and up your calorie intake.

I know that in my first weeks of dieting, I had to just cut that crap. I know that *they* say that no food is a bad food and it's all about calories. That's true. But you know yourself. If eating a Pop-Tart is going to make you continue with bad choices or overeat, you need to cut those out of your diet at this point. For me, ALL treats went out. I have now added them back in now that I am in more control of things. Treats for me were Greek yogurt with fruit. It was summer so fruit it was. Still sweet, but got me off my monster cravings for junk.

I'm the same way...certain foods I have no self control with and, if I eat a little, I just want MORE. I don't buy those anymore at the grocery. If I'm at a potluck and they are there, I will eat them; or I will stop at the bodega after a run and buy 1 serving; but I never bring multiple servings home.
  • mikepicher
    mikepicher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In looking at your log, I'd say you've still got some things that you can tweak further. Good for you for getting off the fast food! Now work on that 'fast to grab' food. Specially those weekend binges on 6 pastries!

I was doing no-carb for a long time with Crossfit and that's just the wrong thing to do. I started losing weight when I started with 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat. No sugar, no dairy, low sodium (1700mg or lower). Don't count your calorie deficit from Crossfit or other activities, just bank it.

It's time to ditch the toaster pastries and turn to Apples / Oranges and other foods that are better for you yet that are still sweet.

The mobile app does a good job of giving you the percentages of carb, protein and fat...

And like others have said, weigh everything. Doing what I said led me to a 70lb loss in one year. 1 to 2 lbs / week... more at first of course. Just set shorter term goals that are achievable. Once you see pounds start to come off it really motivates you to lose more and be even more careful about what you you eat (or as I say, what I shove in my pie hole).
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I recently started a beginner crossfit class once a week. Some workouts are intense, but the intensity is so short. Maybe it's different at your gym, but our WODs never take more then 15-20 minutes. A lot of times they are less than 10min. Even if it's all out for 20 minutes I just don't see that I'm burning that many calories. I'm no expert though. I'm sure the advanced classes burn way more calories. But seeing as you just started...

It just may be a reason why you are not losing as much weight as you think you should. It really comes down to what goes on in the kitchen. You can easily wipe out a deficit created by exercising in a few minutes. Crackers, pop tarts, etc. - those calories add up fast!

Our classes are an hour long and they don't separate beginners from advance, you just scale what you can't do 100%. I think it's definitely the food.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is tough. I feel like giving up fast food and eating at home was pointless and less enjoyable at this point haha
  • mikepicher
    mikepicher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's not easy. But if you want to be around as long as you can for that little bundle of joy you're holding in your picture, the hard thing to do is the right thing to do. Let your child be your motivation (your long term / life goal) to be a healthier. Then just make shorter term goals that are achievable... I did that all last year. I want to be XXX by my birthday. I want to be XYY by Thanksgiving... Just make them achievable goals, so you feel like you have forward progress.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    I always thought I was doing great with logging. I thought twenty crackers was logged as twenty crackers and six pop tarts was six pop tarts haha. I don't understand I guess. I log everything if I can and the things I can't scan in I do just guess (my mistake). Slim fast, soup and crackers, and dinner didn't seem like I was eating too much most days but apparently I am.....yeesh. Might have to stop eating all together