Slow progress-weight fluctuations-frustration

Options
For 70 days I've been eating better, moving more(a lot more, from 1200 or less steps a day to 9000 or more), drinking a ton of water, and staying within my calorie deficit and losing weight feels like it is happening SO SLOW (I'm somewhere between 9-13lbs lost, I think?). In the last year I watched two of my heavier friends melt away while making zero changes. They both easily lost 50-70lbs in what felt like no time, and all they did differently was take hydroxycut. I'm feeling pretty discouraged, especially after watching my weight make a jump upward by 7lbs after one little cheat day over the weekend. I know all bodies are different, but I am starting to feel like my long term goal is going to take way longer than I'd expected and some days I feel like just giving up. Has anyone else ever experienced weight loss envy? I'm typically not a jealous person and I'm happy for my friends but it seems so unfair!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Bodies aren't that different. You have little to lose, so it will come off slowly. Water weight fluctuations can also easily mask weight loss.
  • allisonfarrier4940
    Options
    I have a long term goal of 50-55lbs..
  • allisonfarrier4940
    Options
    Bodies aren't that different. You have little to lose, so it will come off slowly. Water weight fluctuations can also easily mask weight loss.
    Do you know how long do bodies typically retain water and why?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a long term goal of 50-55lbs..
    I should have said "the less you have to lose, the slower it can come off". You can only lose as fast as your body fat reserves allow. 1% of your total body weight per week is believed to be the max. amount you can lose. And your weightloss will always reflect your calorie deficit - 3500 calories equals one pound of fatty tissue. That's how much less you have to eat to lose one pound of fat.
    Do you know how long do bodies typically retain water and why?
    Our bodies consists of approximately 60% water, and that water is a consistent flux. This is completely normal. If you are constipated, or after eating a larger meal, or even drinking a glass of water, you will weigh more. That's why you should think of your weight as a range.
  • mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1: Hydroxycut is not safe! The FDA recently released a warning about it, urging consumers to stop using it immediately. It can cause severe liver damage, and has already led to one death due to liver failure. Additionally, weight loss supplements (no matter how effective in the short term) cannot help you maintain your weight loss or create a healthier lifestyle. This is one of the largest advantages of doing it yourself! Don't let those wonderful things (living longer, feeling stronger, being proud) go to waste by choosing the unsafe, unhealthy, quick fix.

2: If you have 50-55 pounds to lose, then a 7lb fluctuation isn't crazy. I've only got about 40lbs to lose and I still have fluctuations of 5+ pounds. I had one just at the beginning of this week. I know it feels incredibly frustrating, but if you're going to weigh yourself more often, you have to let go of fluctuations. Sometimes when I know I've had a really bad weekend, I don't weigh myself right away. I give myself two of three days where I'm back on track (eating what I plan, in the amount I plan to) and usually by then things have evened out.

3. How long did it take you to lose that 9-13lbs? One pound a week is a totally normal and achievable goal. If it's been less than 2 months I'd say let it be. If you find it hard to just "let it go" (I'm definitely one of those people), try focusing on a different goal! Increase your step count (props, btw! 1,200 --> 9,000 is a HUGE improvement!), work on a new P.R., or see how many vegetables you can fit into one day (my personal record is probably 7-8).\

All of that said, I currently have a male friend who's losing WAY more weight than me! Do I get jealous?? TOTALLY. But that's his journey, not mine. And if what you want, truly, is to lose this weight for yourself and your happiness, you need to recognize that obsessing over someone else's success (and thus viewing yourself as a failure) is only going to hurt your progress.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    What @kommodevaran said. And to you answer your question, water retention can be caused by quite a few things, including high sodium intake, exercise, TOM, etc...
  • allisonfarrier4940
    Options
    Thank you guys. I still feel like such a Newb and sometimes I just get frustrated that I'm doing everything right and feel like I'm being left in the dust! It took about two months to lose that 9-13, so I guess thatd put me at 1lb a week? (I started at 184 and weigh somewhere between 170&175) I really needed to vent though. My husband doesn't understand, and I don't want to make my friends feel badly so I can't talk to them about it.
  • allisonfarrier4940
    Options
    Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I still feel like such a Newb and sometimes I just get frustrated that I'm doing everything right and feel like I'm being left in the dust! It took about two months to lose that 9-13, so I guess thatd put me at 1lb a week? (I started at 184 and weigh somewhere between 170&175) I really needed to vent though. My husband doesn't understand, and I don't want to make my friends feel badly so I can't talk to them about it.

You're right on track then...
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't understand, and I don't want to make my friends feel badly so I can't talk to them about it.

That's what we're here for!

I know it must be frustrating to see your friends lose so quickly on Hydroxycut but (and I don't mean to be a jerk here) I can almost guarantee when they stop taking it they'll regain all that weight right back.

As for the 7lb gain after a cheat weekend, almost all of that weight is probably water weight from extra sodium and carbs in whatever you ate. Stay hydrated and it'll disappear again in a few days.

You would have had to eat about 24,000 *extra* calories beyond your allowance to have gained that much actual body weight.
  • allisonfarrier4940
    Options
    It was a super carb/salt loaded cheat for sure! I generally eat pretty low carb, so that makes so much sense. I was really beating myself up over it.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    For 70 days I've been eating better, moving more(a lot more, from 1200 or less steps a day to 9000 or more), drinking a ton of water, and staying within my calorie deficit and losing weight feels like it is happening SO SLOW (I'm somewhere between 9-13lbs lost, I think?). In the last year I watched two of my heavier friends melt away while making zero changes. They both easily lost 50-70lbs in what felt like no time, and all they did differently was take hydroxycut. I'm feeling pretty discouraged, especially after watching my weight make a jump upward by 7lbs after one little cheat day over the weekend. I know all bodies are different, but I am starting to feel like my long term goal is going to take way longer than I'd expected and some days I feel like just giving up. Has anyone else ever experienced weight loss envy? I'm typically not a jealous person and I'm happy for my friends but it seems so unfair!

I think you're doing great. You've lost approximately 5 lbs in 2 months, that's a good solid start, and what's more, you've been doing it for 70 days. That's awesome, stick with it. Let's see what 70 more days does, then 70 more. This is a lifetime change, so make sure you are thinking long term :)

I've found it great to weigh myself each day in the morning (before eating). This will show you how much your body changes from day to day and then you'll realize that these fluctuations are normal and you'll also have motivation to stick to your plan each day.

Try no to be too hard on yourself, just know that if you stick with it and make changes when necessary (maybe you'll have to lower your intake, but I don't know) you'll do well.

Ask some more questions if you need help with other things. Sometimes folks eat back the calories they gained over the day by doing exercise. I find it's better not to do that.

Keep up the good work.