Whey protein or plant based protein?

Options
Which protein powder is best? Whey or plant based protein?

Replies

• jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whey is a complete protein and plant isn't. I'd say go with whey.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what is the difference with impact whey? Is that for muscle building? As I don't want to build muscle
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what is the difference with impact whey? Is that for muscle building? As I don't want to build muscle

Protein powder is a supplement for convenience and if you aren't getting enough from food in your diet. It doesn't in itself build muscle. Calorie surplus + progressive weight training will build muscle (and even then it is a hard process, I am on my second bulk cycle here, still not big)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Impact Whey is just a product/brand. Nothing special about it.

Building muscle is hard to do. Eating protein is just one tiny part of it. However, your statement about "I don't want to build muscle" is a little short-sighted. Maybe you don't want to get bulky and compete in bodybuilding contests, but building muscle will shape your body way more than losing weight and doing cardio ever will, so don't be afraid of the term "building muscle". As a female, you have little to worry about when it comes to getting bulky.

Finally, Whey is considered to be the most complete, single protein out there. Soy is probably a close second, or at least top 5. Protein blends are going to be the most balanced though - like a whey, casein, egg blend or something similar.

I personally use either straight whey isolate from truenutrition.com or the native milk protein (whey/casein blend) from there. Whey is the post workout, milk protein is for before bed.

If you calculate the cost/gram of protein, it is hard to beat those two products. For example, the Impact whey calculates out to ~25g protein/$1. The TN Whey Iso comes out to ~38g protein/$1.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    Whey is a complete protein and plant isn't. I'd say go with whey.

Not necessarily. Soy is complete (though it may have its own issues if a person is sensitive to it), as are specific blends of rice and pea proteins, though in isolation each is not.