Advice on stress eating.....please help

Options
I swear I am self sabotaging. I have never been a stress eater, but then again, I have not tried changing my lifestyle during a period of stress. I'm reaching for carbs ...muffins, chips, bread....anything that makes me feel comfortable. Please help

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them. If you can't help yourself then you don't need to be around it. Find another outlet for your stress (i.e exercise, walking, talking to someone).
  • shealo
    shealo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find myself in this position often. And I cave to the pressures of life, eating all of my comfort foods.
    I've started trying to track my weekly goals (total calories, protein & carbs) and compensate for my extra carbs & calories on following days. I make a decision that I am going to allow myself a weak day and then force myself to wake up early the next morning and start my day with my workout and a super healthy low carb breakfast. Fresh new start
  • cysmithrpn
    cysmithrpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cathipa...I don't have them in the house but I have no self control and go buy on my way home from work etc. I have found a new love of spaghetti squash so I'm trying to substitute with that. I wish you could buy self control as easily as you can a muffin
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You can do this. You can avoid stress eating. Find something that distracts or gives you a release. For me, writing/sharing with my best friend or my grandma help. Get outside and talk a short walk... anything. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water because that will help keep you from feeling the want for junk.
  • cysmithrpn
    Options
    Shealo....I like the idea of waking up earlier the day after. That may motivate me because I love my sleep. Start fresh the new day
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can do this! I find that when I plan out my meals and snacks that have a good balance of carbs from vegetables, low fat protein and healthy fats, I don't have the cravings, even when I'm stressed out the max, which I am right now. In fact, there is a giant bowl of M&Ms on the desk outside my workspace and I don't even want them. I am having an apple with peanut butter.

And I do not stop for things I know I shouldn't keep on hand. Just keep driving!! Sing loudly! :)
  • suzanneliv
    suzanneliv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who doesn't experience this. At this very moment I am facing it too. Congrats for admitting and seeking alternatives. Stress eat on things you can eat in large quantity but not sabotage. Air pop corn. A bag of carrots. Want a dip? Mix onion soup packet with low fat Greek yogurt. Put these kinds of foods in your car and cupboards to reach for when you are almost at the point of losing control take them first. My best fight against it is to ensure I've had plenty of good things to eat throughout the day so when the moment hits I am more in control.
  • suzanneliv
    suzanneliv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are human. We all fall. Prepare yourself for the next wave so you don't fall as hard or not at all.
  • ChrisWillDoThis
    ChrisWillDoThis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a weightloss hypnosis app on my phone. Kind of like a guided meditation. It's really helped me with stress eating.
  • ladycclear
    ladycclear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just got back on the healthy track myself after a bad month of binges and scale avoidance.
    The advice I give myself: Be intentional about your food choices. Set rules you can live with and follow them because health is more important to long term happiness than momentary taste. Use Mantras and repeat them mindfully in the moments of temptation: I control what goes in my mouth. Food is for nutrition.
  • cysmithrpn
    Options
    So inspiring everyone. Thank you!!! It makes me feel less like a failure to know that I'm not alone. This is honesly a very scary journey, one that i have been putting off way too long. I'm smiling right now at all the love. Thank you!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Exercise is my primary stress reducer...regular exercise does wonders for stress.

I've had a fairly crazy day at the office...and in general, the last few weeks have been very stressful...I'm very much looking forward to some interval sprints on my bike this evening.
  • cysmithrpn
    Options
    I'm hoping to get to that point cwolfman13. I was there and lost my drive.....on my way to finding it again.
  • cysmithrpn
    Options
    I have a weightloss hypnosis app on my phone. Kind of like a guided meditation. It's really helped me with stress eating.

I will definitely be looking for an app like this!