I love iced coffee but hate the calories

Options
Who doesn't love iced coffee? If you do like I do, how do I still get to enjoy my favorite treat but not spend my daily allowance on one grande iced beverage. (I could cut it out but what is life without iced coffee.. ya I'm that much of a fan) What do you do/what are your alternatives?

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Skim or almond milk and Splenda.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Black coffee with Silk Almond Milk caramel creamer. It's only 15 calories a tablespoon. I usually do about 3 tablespoons, add ice. Yummy iced coffee for less than 50 calories!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Are you buying it somewhere or making it at home? I don't do iced coffee, but I drink my coffee with sugar and half and half and it has 70 calories. I could easily pour it over ice.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm generally a black coffee drinker, but I like a milky sweet iced coffee occasionally. My favorite is cold brew coffee concentrate with unsweetened coconut milk and torani sugar free syrup. Or if I have the calories, I'll mix the concentrate with a vanilla protein shake. In a pinch, instant espresso will work for the cold brew concentrate. I've tried using regular coffee, but it just gets too watered down for iced drinks, even if I chill it first.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I make my own iced coffee at home. I have a Ninja Coffee Bar and it makes the best iced coffee. I use a flavored coffee (2 calories), 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or other nut milk (15ish calories depending on the milk). 1 packet of truvia and 2 tablespoons of sugar free torani syrup (0-5 calories depending on the flavor). Yummy! And way less calories than a Starbucks drink (which I also have on a regular basis)...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I drink iced coffee with just cream every day! It comes to about 70 calories and fits into my diet nicely. Are you using a lot of milk, cream, and/or sugar?
  • PhillyBlazen76
    PhillyBlazen76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Starbucks cold brew:
    Trenta sized, no ice, and a dash of cinnamon!!! MmmMm!
    And with the size you can split it 3 times!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    kay_baybay wrote: »
    Who doesn't love iced coffee? If you do like I do, how do I still get to enjoy my favorite treat but not spend my daily allowance on one grande iced beverage. (I could cut it out but what is life without iced coffee.. ya I'm that much of a fan) What do you do/what are your alternatives?

Black coffee and ice cubes have a lot of calories?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have to be more specific about what you're putting in yours so that we can suggest changes. Coffee, by itself, is very low calorie. When I log mine, they're usually in the 10-15 calorie range depending on how big they are.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I'm at Starbucks, I like to order an iced decaf cafe americano, which is about 11 calories. A bit more if I decide to splurge and add some cream to it.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    My definition of iced coffee: coffe, cream til it's a nice milky shade of tan/caramel , 3 sugar packets for a tall... and ice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I drink iced coffee black just like I drink my hot coffee...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to frappucino-type drinks?

Yes, those are calorie bombs.

If you cannot go without, modify your order to be less calorific. Get a small size, omit the whipped cream, use non-fat milk and go half-sweet.

Or if you think that alters the flavour too much, then add in a little extra activity to get it the full-flavoured way.
  • kay_baybay
    kay_baybay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess possibly I'm overcalculating? I like iced coffee with soy and some sort of sweetener (though unless it's like sf vanilla that's where the calories are coming from). I was just looking for alternatives/other low calorie but also good tasting coffee options. So this is helpful. And though I do like coffee black occasionally I don't always, and yes I'm aware that's like 5 calories.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the skinny cinnamon latte at Starbucks? It can be made iced, I like it hot, but calorie-wise it is not bad.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Black coffee with Silk Almond Milk caramel creamer. It's only 15 calories a tablespoon. I usually do about 3 tablespoons, add ice. Yummy iced coffee for less than 50 calories!
    I have heard that adding almond milk to coffee makes it come out yucky. Have you had this experience with the creamer?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Rowan09 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I have heard that adding almond milk to coffee makes it come out yucky. Have you had this experience with the creamer?

I put almond milk in coffee all the time and it tastes fine to me . . .
  • rainbowyeager
    rainbowyeager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of adding coconut cream to my coffee. I does add some calories and especially fat, but I find that I am full longer after breakfast and don't need a snack as quick. Plus, it is paleo and vegan so if those are a bonus for you.
  • lovely_curves
    lovely_curves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I go to Starbucks I get 2 shots of espresso in a venti cup with ice. Then I had a caramel premiere protein drink in it. It's delicious. Cannot think of the calories right off the top of my head but I'm thinking 130? And there's 30g of protein.