1 month in and no difference!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• joannalouise92
    joannalouise92 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okayyy so this has created quite a discussion! I'm going to try to continue with 1200 and my three weekly cardio sessions on top. And if after another 2 weeks I don't see any differences in anything - measurements, weight, visually ... I might just break down in tears!
    I'm going to trial cutting out dairy in case this is an issue for me as well; though as someone who only regularly eats natura yoghurt can't imagine it's that... but you never know

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okayyy so this has created quite a discussion! I'm going to try to continue with 1200 and my three weekly cardio sessions on top. And if after another 2 weeks I don't see any differences in anything - measurements, weight, visually ... I might just break down in tears!
    I'm going to trial cutting out dairy in case this is an issue for me as well; though as someone who only regularly eats natura yoghurt can't imagine it's that... but you never know

Is there a reason you're so adverse to adding in some strength/resistance training?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I would say that your logging is on point, it looks great. I would watch how much you eat back from exercise - usually the burn is over estimated either by trackers or MFP (even the wristbands are not completely accurate). Try eating back about 50% of those calories and definitely keep on with at least 1200 (not counting exercise).

Going back to 1/29-2/6 (8 days) and calculating if you were to do 50% eat back, that would have put you over calories 7 times (unless I counted wrong as math + me = no). I don't mean this in a bad way, so I hope you don't take it that way, but just to try and help.

Ultimately, you could drop the exercise and as long as you're still eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. I don't know about you, but I get hangry on 1200 as I am right now, so if MFP suggests a different amount for your deficit, don't ignore it. It gives you that # to have a healthy deficit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you have any kind of health issues such as PCOS? If so, you want to look at *what* you are eating as well as how much, because women with PCOS tend to be insulin resistant.
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also consider cortisol. The more you stress yourself out about this and the more stress you put on your body, the higher your cortisol levels are going to be. Also, low calorie eating increases cortisol, as does intensive exercise. Back down on the stressing, ease up a little on your body, and see if that helps.
  • joannalouise92
    Options
    Also consider cortisol. The more you stress yourself out about this and the more stress you put on your body, the higher your cortisol levels are going to be. Also, low calorie eating increases cortisol, as does intensive exercise. Back down on the stressing, ease up a little on your body, and see if that helps.

You know I do agree wth this, I think it's unfortunately a vicious circle as it's hard to not be stressed about it as I feel so unable to control my own weight loss.. I'm going to try to maybe ease off on one of my workouts and try to substitute in more walking throughout the week.. that along with cutting out yoghurt and fingers crossed in a couple of weeks I'll feel a little better
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I think then, as clearly I'm underestimating calories even when weighing, I'm going to have to aim for a lower net goal or maybe 1000
    I'll stop eating back my calories from walking too
    Just can't understand how gym sessions are having no impact especially when you combine it with the low calories (even if it's not as low as apparently it needs to be it's still pretty low)
    Don't you think that shows there's some issue ?

I think you are putting your body in starvation mode. The time between meals( no more than 3 hours EVER), when you eat (ie after workout equal carbs and protein grams and nothing 2 hours before cardio), fasted morning cardio before breakfast and so on may be causing problems.

....no
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I think then, as clearly I'm underestimating calories even when weighing, I'm going to have to aim for a lower net goal or maybe 1000
    Just can't understand how gym sessions are having no impact especially when you combine it with the low calories (even if it's not as low as apparently it needs to be it's still pretty low)

I think you are putting your body in starvation mode. The time between meals( no more than 3 hours EVER), when you eat (ie after workout equal carbs and protein grams and nothing 2 hours before cardio), fasted morning cardio before breakfast and so on may be causing problems.

Just...what is this foolishness? If you should never let three hours pass between meals, how do you sleep at night when all those precious meal window times are being abandoned? I don't know where you heard or read this but it's absolute nonsense.

losing 60 lbs in 7 months is what I base this on .... not everyone is the same. Do what works for you :)

You lost weight because you were eating in a calorie deficit. The frequency and timing of your eating had nothing to do with it outside of the fact that it was something you were able to stick to that created said deficit.

There is no such thing as starvation mode as you represent it in your post.

As a health professional with expertise in the area... we could argue all day. People need to do what works for them and finding that formula is as individual as your finger print.
    :)

scary that a "healthcare professional" believes in starvation mode and doesn't believe in calorie deficit for weight loss???

Oh I don't believe anyone should put them selves in starvation mode. I am saying the opposite. I am saying that you need to eat enough ...eating too little is dangerous. I personally ate double in the last few months from what I used to and lost weight. You misread the posts. Not a good idea to make the calorie deficit gap too large. I appreciate the concern of miscommunication.

Also no LOL
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm happy to have a deficit of just 250 per day; but my difficulty is knowing what to take that from.. anyone have any idea what seems reasonable? Given I've been doing what I think is net 1200 per day (before gym workout calories) and not getting anywhere... is 1200 reasonable?

A deficit of 250 is great. Your BMR is 1550 and it's a pretty good estimate. Your TDEE for sedentary is 1.2 x BMR so 1860. I think a safe bet would be to try 1600 and don't eat back the calories it adds from exercise. Try it for two weeks.

If it helps your brain (it helps mine), weigh yourself in the morning every day, and record it. I know lots of people say don't do this because of the amount the body fluctuates over the day, but that is exactly what you want to see. Your body is a machine, reacting to what goes through it. Weighing yourself every day shows you how much your body changes from day to day and it gives you a real picture of what your body machine is doing. Your body could fluctuate 5 lbs from one day to the next. If you only weigh yourself once per week, you could catch a low weight day first, then a high weight day second, so it would look like you'd gained weight, but you wouldn't be able to see the other days to show you that the trend is still down.

You're on the right track, don't get discouraged. Sometimes we just need to figure it all out before things start working.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Maxematics wrote: »

Just...what is this foolishness? If you should never let three hours pass between meals, how do you sleep at night when all those precious meal window times are being abandoned? I don't know where you heard or read this but it's absolute nonsense.

losing 60 lbs in 7 months is what I base this on .... not everyone is the same. Do what works for you :)

You lost weight because you were eating in a calorie deficit. The frequency and timing of your eating had nothing to do with it outside of the fact that it was something you were able to stick to that created said deficit.

There is no such thing as starvation mode as you represent it in your post.

As a health professional with expertise in the area... we could argue all day. People need to do what works for them and finding that formula is as individual as your finger print.
    :)

scary that a "healthcare professional" believes in starvation mode and doesn't believe in calorie deficit for weight loss???

Oh I don't believe anyone should put them selves in starvation mode. I am saying the opposite. I am saying that you need to eat enough ...eating too little is dangerous. I personally ate double in the last few months from what I used to and lost weight. You misread the posts. Not a good idea to make the calorie deficit gap too large. I appreciate the concern of miscommunication.

Nobody was disputing that eating too little is dangerous or that one shouldnt make the calorie deficit too large.

But OP is doing neither of those things, since she is not in fact losing weight.

People also disputed your silly idea about having to eat every 3 hours - eat whenever in the day you like and have as big or small a time gap between meals as you like - the total calories for the day is what matters for weight loss.

and btw, nearly every day I have more than 3 hours between lunch and tea. Nothing in between. Lunch is at work around 1- 1:30 and tea is around 7:00 ish.

Did not stop me from reaching or maintaining my goal weight.
  • joannalouise92
    Options
    In case this helps - I tend to have breakfast at work about 9.30am, and then lunch around 12.30.. I would say I constantly graze on almonds fruit etc in the afternoon and have my evening meal any time from 7.30-9pm depending what time I get home or if I've been to the gym first etc