New dads

Options
So I became a dad in December, which is awesome but I'm wondering if any dads here struggle to find the time to workout. Lack of sleep and work/study commitments are not helping.

Add as friend to support and motivate would be appreciated.

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Hey, we're already friends. First time that's ever happened. I'm dealing with a 4-month old now. Hasn't really messed with my morning gym schedule. I just take any midnight - 5AM feedings then I'm out.
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great, so it must get easier as they get older.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and 2 year old. One thing I would say is you will not end up getting 8 hrs perfect sleep for a long time. Just train when you can don't use the fact you are tired as an excuse. If your pushed for time do a short 20-30min body weight HIIT workout at home. Also this might sound silly but once they started to walk a little when i took them out zoo farm beach etc I wouldn't take the push chair so would carry them if they couldn't walk its a great workout esp if its hilly!!
  • rabbidchicken
    rabbidchicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a 8 year old and two year (single dad) so i plan my workouts around when i get the time. Currently i get up at 3 am for hiit 15-30 minutes mon thru Friday before work then lift weights in the pm after i feed them dinner normally between 45-60 minutes then i eat my post workout meal while getting them bathed and ready for bed. Meal prep is my life saver that way i only have to worry about cooking for the girls during the week.
  • cjohnsonss
    cjohnsonss Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dad with 4 kids here. I've worked out for about 4 years, and when my last son was born I missed about 6 months of lifting (I think I really jist used that as an excuse). It took a good friend of mine to challenge me to a fitness competition yo get me back into it.
    If you dedicate a day to cardio (or only do it once a week) you should be able to complete your routine in about an hour (depending on rest between sets).
    I get up between 4am and 5am to get my session in, so that I can be home to help get the kids ready for school. Some days its hard. But its like I say, make progress, not excuses.
    Either you want it, or you don't to be blunt.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, I just wanted to come here to congratulate you on your new baby. :D
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting to the gym when my son was young, so I built a home gym. It makes it a lot easier to fit in your workouts if that is a possible option for you. It does get easier as they get older.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, but I will say.. it is hard for dads too. Despite me being the one getting up to feed, my husband was up a lot with me and helped with diapers etc. especially in the first few months.. plus he had to go to work in the morning.. so sleep > working out at that point. And that is ok. Sometimes fitness will take a backseat for a while until things settle down (and they will!). And yes, a home gym or working out at home definitely helps!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My wife and I have a pretty good deal worked out. We have a 15 month old and own an in home daycare. We just switch off responsibilities so I can workout 6 hours a week. I am also the one who cooks and often cleans while she takes care of our son a bit more. To get more time with my son, I try to feed him (before I cook dinner) or we will have guys nights while my wife is out with the girls (we get this once a week and I love it). Am I tired, absolutely, but ensuring that I am the best available model for my son outweighs everything else.
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, you are all very inspiring. I've determined to get back into my routine and make sure baby and wife gets what support they need as soon as I'm home from work before I workout.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, you are all very inspiring. I've determined to get back into my routine and make sure baby and wife gets what support they need as soon as I'm home from work before I workout.

Best of luck. And enjoy it while they can't walk....