Trying lose weight

Options
Hi I'm trying to lose weight and I am struggling as I'm exercising and eating better but no weight loss can anyone give me any tips please

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    are you eating at a calorie deficit? that is all you need.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    as opposed to "eating better"
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Find out your Base Metabolic Rate using an online calculator and your Total Daily Expenditure. Subtract a few calories (250 perhaps) and make that your daily goal. Exercise doesn't matter as much as the calories you eat. Pay close attention to measuring your food as well as you can and aim for 0.5 lbs per week or so. Nice and slow is the right way to do this.

Adding your height, weight and age will help us with finding more information for you as well.
  • mydaughters9380
    mydaughters9380 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm monitoring my calories what I eat also eating fruit and vegetables more I just don't know wat else to do
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eating "better" does nothing if you're not in a calorie deficit. How's that going for you? Any help you need there?
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    I'm monitoring my calories but not sure what else to do
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    what does that even mean? monitoring your calories could mean eating 30000/day - but watching them? are you eating at a deficit???
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    My height is 5-7 my age 34 and I weight 16 stone 4lb I have been trying to lose weight and only lost 5 lb I've cut things out monitoring my calories and exercising but still struggling
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes but how many calories are you eating every day?
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    My average is between 1500 - 1700 calories but that changes some days with my job as I might miss a meal
  • honeybunny406
    honeybunny406 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    there are many sites you can visit, on-line, that will help you with how many calories you need to take in daily to lose weight for your height, age, etc. They are very user friendly. Five pounds is a good start. When was your starting point? Remember you only want to lose 1-2 lbs a week for long lasting weight loss. Too much too fast usually doesn't last, for the average person. Best of luck!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and log in grams or oz. When did you start losing weight/changing your diet? You've lost 5 pounds so you are still losing.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing ALL of your food on a food scale?
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    That's 5lb in 3 weeks just I haven't lost none this week but I'm working hard at losing it
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    No I'm not weighing it as was unsure what the right amount should be I only started to change a few weeks ago as I'm not happy with myself and need to be healthier and fitter
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you won't lose, and then you'll lose two or three pounds at once. Some days your body retains more water so your weight will go up.

Five pounds in 3 weeks is actually great. Just keep logging everything you eat to make sure that you aren't eating more than you think. If you enter your stats in MFP it will tell you how many calories you need to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week. You shouldn't try to lose more than that, as it isn't sustainable in the long term.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No I'm not weighing it as was unsure what the right amount should be I only started to change a few weeks ago as I'm not happy with myself and need to be healthier and fitter

Then I can almost guarantee you are eating more than you think you are.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    That's 5lb in 3 weeks just I haven't lost none this week but I'm working hard at losing it

Nothing wrong with losing 5lb in three weeks!
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you won't lose, and then you'll lose two or three pounds at once. Some days your body retains more water so your weight will go up.

Five pounds in 3 weeks is actually great. Just keep logging everything you eat to make sure that you aren't eating more than you think. If you enter your stats in MFP it will tell you how many calories you need to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week. You shouldn't try to lose more than that, as it isn't sustainable in the long term.

Thank you for this advice.... I will keep logging everything and aim for the 1-2lb a week xx
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Sometimes you may have weeks where the scale doesn't show a loss, but soon after you'll have a drop in weight. It sounds like you're doing well so far! Keep logging and periodically update your goals in MFP so it will update your calorie needs for your new weight.