Aldi shopping

Options
13»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with Aldi- the produce doesn't last as long- and the prices really aren't that much better than the grocery store.

I buy the exact same things at the regular store- the price is about the same quite frankly.

I think the biggest difference is a grocery store has way more stuff that you're like to buy- so you over all spend more than a grocery store.
    But really- the cost is about the same if you buy the same stuff and shop smart.

I think it kind of depends on where you live. My area has a LOT of competition with low cost grocery stores. So much so that even the higher priced chains are very low on staple-type items such as bananas, rice, etc. When I go into Aldi I don't see huge price differences. But I think if you live in an area where you don't have all that, it can be quite a difference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with Aldi- the produce doesn't last as long- and the prices really aren't that much better than the grocery store.

I buy the exact same things at the regular store- the price is about the same quite frankly.

I think the biggest difference is a grocery store has way more stuff that you're like to buy- so you over all spend more than a grocery store.
    But really- the cost is about the same if you buy the same stuff and shop smart.

I think it kind of depends on where you live. My area has a LOT of competition with low cost grocery stores. So much so that even the higher priced chains are very low on staple-type items such as bananas, rice, etc. When I go into Aldi I don't see huge price differences. But I think if you live in an area where you don't have all that, it can be quite a difference.

possibly- I know our biggest local chain (which is damn big) buys locally- so there is noticeable price difference in in season and out of season produce- which can make a difference- but living in NJ- everything is 'spensive- but- lots of competition to keep it reasonable.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

In NYC the prices are quite different and I save at least 50% shopping at Aldi's as opposed to local supermarkets.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

In NYC the prices are quite different and I save at least 50% shopping at Aldi's as opposed to local supermarkets.

I agree and I'm in Columbus, OH. Aldi is, generally speaking, about 50% cheaper than Kroger, even more so than Giant Eagle.
  • JoRocka
    Options

alyssa0061 wrote: »

I agree and I'm in Columbus, OH. Aldi is, generally speaking, about 50% cheaper than Kroger, even more so than Giant Eagle.

I'd be curious if you took the same list in there and what you found- exact same list.
  • Sveltforlife
    Sveltforlife Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    <3
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I'd be curious if you took the same list in there and what you found- exact same list.

I might do that just for fun. I like little challenges
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

Yes- One of the other lower cost grocery chains in my area is large enough that it has almost all my staple items (including everything I need from the latin foods aisle) and I don't have to go anywhere else most weeks.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I paid .25 cents for a dozen eggs today bought four dozen, whole Milk gallon $1.24, deli sliced Turkey $3.49 lb, $1.49 per pound chicken breasts (four pound pack), a 24 pack case of 16.9 ounce water was $1.99- I never see prices like this at any other store.

I do agree with the green produce but the other colors are fine and there frozen veggies are much cheaper. Best buy today --40 ounces of peanut butter $2.99 a jar I bought four..

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    In our area there are other options besides Aldi's that rival their prices (Wal-Mart Grocery, and Local Grocery store sales) but for every day prices you simply can't beat Aldi's. We don't like all of their products but many we do. I think we go there once a month or so. Weekly we hit other stores for sales but when we want to stock up Aldi's saves us a ton.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I love Aldis for their low calorie seasonal goodies. Like I got frozen steamable butternut spelt risotto, pumkin risotto, and kale and ancient grains blends. Delish. Same with seasonal flavor 100 calorie Greek yogurt. So cheap and easy for me to set up my meal prep shopping there and never get bored with my food choices.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I paid .25 cents for a dozen eggs today bought four dozen, whole Milk gallon $1.24, deli sliced Turkey $3.49 lb, $1.49 per pound chicken breasts (four pound pack), a 24 pack case of 16.9 ounce water was $1.99- I never see prices like this at any other store.

I do agree with the green produce but the other colors are fine and there frozen veggies are much cheaper. Best buy today --40 ounces of peanut butter $2.99 a jar I bought four..

4 dozen eggs for 25 cents a dozen is pretty damn good- I ususally buy the 2.5 dozen- at least I think- so 30 eggs- usually 2.99 at my store. Sometimes lower- sometimes higher- but I buy a boat load of eggs- and I actually compare- because sometimes the dozen is cheaper than the larger packs- so I always look.

Couldn't compare milk since I rarely buy it- but anything under 2$ for chicken is good- I've never seen chicken breasts on sale at my Aldi though- I never buy meat there- it's always more expensive if they have it at all.

I mean- I haven't even done it- I just know I rarely see a huge difference- but maybe for *kitten* and giggles I'll do a reduced batch (like only 2 of green peppers- and 2 dozen eggs) and see- b/c I haven't even gone and tried it myself- I can probably do it this weekend and see what comes of it!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

Same here -- fresh produce (doesn't spoil fast) at half the price of my nearest grocery. Pantry staples much cheaper, too. Some name brands are priced the same, but other name brands are appreciably cheaper at Aldi. I don't love having to go to another store for the stuff they don't have, but Aldi does have most of what we use. They carry some "seasonal" items that I consider seasonless -- charcoal, ricotta, popcorn, yeast... it's weird. They stop selling charcoal in the summer, but grilling/smoking takes off in football season in Texas. Wrong season!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

It would be impossible to compare the exact same brand names, but I know even here in the midwest and comparing generic to generic at the main competitor in our area, prices at Aldi are way cheaper. Just this week, avocados at HyVee, 3/$5 for small, Aldi, $.59 ea for large. Large can crushed tomatoes, generic HyVee $1.69, Aldi $.89. Eggs HyVee 1.69 doz/Aldi $.59. 3lb yellow onions, $2.49/.69 You get the picture. And I have been much more satisfied with the quality at Aldi.

I still do HyVee for stuff I can't find at Aldi, like Quest bars or Bolthouse dressings, but only a couple times a month.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

It would be impossible to compare the exact same brand names, but I know even here in the midwest and comparing generic to generic at the main competitor in our area, prices at Aldi are way cheaper. Just this week, avocados at HyVee, 3/$5 for small, Aldi, $.59 ea for large. Large can crushed tomatoes, generic HyVee $1.69, Aldi $.89. Eggs HyVee 1.69 doz/Aldi $.59. 3lb yellow onions, $2.49/.69 You get the picture. And I have been much more satisfied with the quality at Aldi.

I still do HyVee for stuff I can't find at Aldi, like Quest bars or Bolthouse dressings, but only a couple times a month.

not same brand- that's irrelevant to me.

Just same products.

But my hypothesis is that Aldi isn't really that much cheaper- it's just a smaller- no frills store- so you buy less when you're in there- hence my thought on same grocery list 2 different stores.

I may try this one weekend- Aldi- Wegmans and Shop rite- and see where I shake out.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I go to shoprite after Aldi sometimes to get herbs. Aldi is definitely cheaper, although they're both cheaper than the "regular" grocery stores.