Getting discouraged!

Options
Hello,
I joined a fitcamp at the gym 3 weeks ago after having baby 3 on November 1st. I have been killing it with meal planning and working out. I've been doing weights and cardio. I need to lose 15-20 pounds. The scale goes down 2 then up 1. What am I doing wrong?! This is the slowest process! I'm 5"3, 171 pounds. My goal weight is 155 ish. The registered Dietician had me eating 1650 calories now I'm doing 1450-1500.

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

Also, by my calculations, 2 down 1 up is still 1 down each time that happens. :)
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to weigh your food. Buying a food scale was the "magic thing" that kickstarted my weight loss. I had no idea how much I was undershooting my consumption.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kwall07 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I joined a fitcamp at the gym 3 weeks ago after having baby 3 on November 1st. I have been killing it with meal planning and working out. I've been doing weights and cardio. I need to lose 15-20 pounds. The scale goes down 2 then up 1. What am I doing wrong?! This is the slowest process! I'm 5"3, 171 pounds. My goal weight is 155 ish. The registered Dietician had me eating 1650 calories now I'm doing 1450-1500.
    Stick to what the Dietitian gave you. Are you nursing?

• kwall07
    kwall07 Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I should have stated that she changed my caloric intake to 1400-1450. I am listening to her and weigh everything. I am very disciplined.
  • kwall07
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Was looking for insight and support. Thanks.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you go down 2 and up 1, that's still a net loss of 1 lb. Weight loss takes a while. Besides, what else are you going to do, stay at a weight you don't want to be at?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is still too early. Patience, and being consistent is needed. How many times a week do you do fit camp?
  • klyons1127
    klyons1127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do your macros look like? Give me an ideal of what the work out routine is. Also just something to consider 4 months since birthing a child is not that long ago your hypothalamus and pituitary gland probably have not returned to normal hormone production levels.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Your doing nothing wrong, except not having faith in yourself. Don't give up, and don't give up. You are working to hard to give up. Congrats on your baby. Your a warrior queen. 9 months for a baby to grow and it takes time for, nature to take time for a body get back to normal. You know this. Like the post above, be consistent. We need that in our lives daily. To be mindful of our body and what we put in. Learn it young instead of doing a life of rollercoasting, binging and dieting, and giving up wasting time in your life where your to unfit to do things. Mostly have fun, enjoying to Move that body, and play with your kids.
  • kwall07
    Options
    Fit Camp is two times a week and is weight training and cardio. I have then been adding at least 2 more times at the gym which will include Tabata for one day.
  • kwall07
    Options
  • kwall07
    Options
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A couple of thoughts, with some questions mixed in...

1. Weight loss is not a linear process. Fluctuations in weight are completely normal and it's not at all unheard of to see your weight change +/- a couple of pounds within a given week. That you recently started fitcamp indicates to me that your "down 2, up 1" weight fluctuation is likely caused by water weight, which would mean that your muscles are retaining water to aid in the repair and recovery process.

2. Aside from a couple of references to your daily calorie goal, you've not really said anything about how you're monitoring your food intake. If you're not using a food scale to measure every bit of food you put into your mouth, you really have no idea exactly how many calories you're consuming on a given day. Are you using a food scale?

3. You've mentioned your exercise plan several times in this thread. Exercise is important for general fitness, it helps you retain lean muscle mass while you're eating at a deficit, and it makes it easier to maintain a deficit because of the extra calories/day it provides. But weight loss really begins and ends with how much we're eating. Having a really good handle on your food intake (portion control + food scale) will have a bigger impact on your success or failure than how much time you put in at the gym.

4. How much weight, if any, have you lost since you started? If you're consistently down 2, up 1 every three weigh ins, you're still losing weight.

5. Weight loss is a slow process. Some start with a pretty big loss right away, but slow down after a couple of weeks. For others, it's a much slower process. That you only have 15-20 lbs to lose means you're likely in the latter group. The less we have to lose, the longer it typically takes and (I can't stress this enough) the more important it is for you to accurately track your food intake.

So with all of that being said (and in the absence of more info from you) I think you need both a bit more patience and, if you're not already using one, a food scale.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You haven't actually said how much you have lost over 3 weeks. "down 2, up 1" doesn't matter - how much have you lost in total?
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This sounds so cliché but trust the process. I have been going through a similar thing since September of last year. Got down to 155 only to bounce right back up to 163. Overall, I have lost maybe 3 pounds from my September 1st weight, and it fluctuates a fair amount. However, in that time I have still managed to lose 2 inches from my waist. There is something to be said for re-composition.