Does letting go for a few days equal quitting? Have you taken days off?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am super stressed and the last couple days my appetite is insatiable! I literally quit and just am eating whatever. Yesterday I went over 2000 calories (goal is usually 1200-1600 anywhere in there). I decided to not worry about calories until my wii fit u gets here tomorrow or thurs (probably tomorrow). I love the wii fit! I did it 2 hrs a day even when I was pregnant and Im excited to add a new exercise routine (I was doing Zumba at home before but got bored because not enough variety where as the wii fit has a lot of options). Is this a bad move or can it be okay for some people? I know neither is fact so just looking for opinions. If I gain a lb Im cool with that because I know I can lose it. Is that an unhealthy mindset or is it healthy because it takes into account that there are hard days? I am not the best person to ask because I have a history of issues with food (eating too much and not eating enough) so I just kind of want a second opinion. I feel OK about it Im just nervous that Im going to ruin my diet. Theres no real logical reason I feel that way, just nerves. Has anyone else had times like this? I lost 28lbs from mid Oct to mid December then I took a break for the holidays went up about 5 lbs and relost it pretty quickly lol So right now Im still down around 30lbs. Haven't gained anything since I re-started.

Replies

• Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Concerned you might be bingeing? I would not call 2,000 calories for a few days bingeing. Maybe blowing off some steam. Food discipline requires some work and commitment. Letting go every once in a while helps to keep your self in balance. Work it into your long term maintenance program. Then it does not equal quitting.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think you will be just fine giving it a break for a few days. Too many of us have used the excuse of "well I really blew that day, so I guess I'll just give up"... It's not about perfection, it's about improving our habits bit by bit. You have done fabulous loosing 30 lbs!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Quitting is not coming back. Taking off a few days would not be considered quitting.

I personally take a few breaks here and there. Currently I am healing a very sore hip, so I am eating maintenance for a few days. After my mother passed, I ate at maintenance for several months. After I broke my foot, I ate maintenance.

It's just taking a break.
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others. As long as you actually do get back on the wagon when you say you will.. it's not quitting!

Maybe since you're okay with breaking the routine right now, you'll be able to get it all out of your system and feel ready to get back at it.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess I just needed a reminder that it's not just me and everyone or almost everyone takes breaks sometimes. It isn't really major binging I guess apart from the fact that I am used to eating 1200-1600 calories and I am eating around 2000 or more lol so to me it's a LOT because it is double what I eat on some days. Maybe my body is just exhausted because I haven't been sleeping. I feel like eating is keeping me awake.... Maybe if I get a little rest tonight I will feel better tomorrow. Thanks again!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    *hugs*
    Do try to get some sleep. I also get much munchier when I'm sleep deprived!

I regularly give myself time off the deficit and time off logging. I learned the hard way that I need breaks where I can just not worry. I won't even log those and accept that I might end up a few pounds heavier, but I also know that it's relatively easy getting rid of those pounds again.

The first time I did that (vacation in Japan and Russia - 3 weeks) I came back 1lb lighter. The second time (Christmas-New Year - 2 weeks), I ended up 5lbs heavier. It's now February and I'm at an all time low with my weight (another 5lbs and I'll be the lightest I've ever been as an adult).

I try to use those periods to see how good I am at the maintaining thing without tracking and logging (when good food is around, obviously not very. I'll be around here for a good long while to go).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Does letting go for a few days equal quitting? Have you taken days off?

I take diet breaks on long weekends and holidays. I'm not quitting ... I'm just taking a diet break.

I usually also exercise a lot on long weekends and holidays. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I mean this with the best intentions and really hope you take it that way. Based on previous posts, it really sounds like you are yo-up dieting or even starting a binge-restrict issue.

Perhaps seeking out some professional help, like a dietician or even a mental health professional if the pattern continues, would be beneficial for you. I remember from previous posts your budget is really tight, but there are places that work on sliding scales/you pay what you can.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance occasionally, as long as you are happy in your mind that your progress may slow down as a result and don't try to counter it by undereating when you start logging again. If you are struggling with the calorie goals (this is why I always used to fall of the wagon) try a lower deficit for a while, better to find something you can stick to long term than yo-yoing because you find what it has set as too restrictive.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I take days off restricting. I don't take days off logging. I only have one rule - if it goes in my mouth, I log it.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I spent six months struggling, but I never looked at it as quitting or failing. I had a lot of trouble making wise choices, but I never lost sight of my goals. I never gave up. I just struggled. A lot. But I'm back now. It's a lifelong process. I'm not going to be 100% on it all the time. That's just impossible!
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I let go for most of last year, I never considered it quitting though. The fact you're still here means you've not quit. Some people prefer to be super-focused 100% of the time, some prefer to be a bit more lenient sometimes, and make up the difference at other times. Whatever works for you
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me letting go even a couple days typically means undoing 2-3 weeks of progress... so it's really not worth it. I don't consider it quitting, but it can be a major setback.

And yeah I still log everything.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a 2 week vacation last summer to eat/drink/do whatever I liked after losing 30 pounds in 3.5 months and I needed to refuel because while I felt great throughout most of it I burned out hard when I did.

Then I maintained until the Christmas season and I gave myself 2 weeks to get it all out of my system before I was ready to start again.

Restarting January 1st is a bit of a cliche but it really did make a new start for me. I'm not in any hurry. I'm not in any crazy deficit. I've gotten past the goal and finally realized how I want to live from now on...if I'm at my goal by this summer great! If not, meh.
  • davefen
    davefen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as quitting. You've merely stopped. Just get started again. Quitting implies permanence.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think there could be an issue with "eating whatever" and going back to a restrictive diet mindset. This does sound like a negative cycle.
    It sounds like you lost fairly quickly and perhaps that has worn you down. Maybe reset your weight loss to 1 lb or .5 lb a week or just maintain for awhile and have more calories. Maintaining for awhile isn't quitting. It is still making good choices.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was super strict the first couple of weeks because I needed to see that big initial loss, water weight or not, for motivation. Now I'm a little more lenient and usually go up to maintenance a couple of days a week so I don't feel the need to completely let go!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I take days off restricting. I don't take days off logging. I only have one rule - if it goes in my mouth, I log it.

This. :) Some days I just DON'T CARE and I eat everything (Look at my diary from Sunday of this week for an example...) but the one unbreakable rule is that I have to log EVERYTHING. When I purposely stop logging, I know I'm sliding backwards into bad territory.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No, stress can get to you. Take a few days and get back on track. You being guilty is well a good sign. I did two weeks ago took 2 days off and ate some bread lol it's ok to get off track a little bit. Your human and well food is good lol. At least you no you were/off alittle this week just kill it next week thats all lol.