Keto Comfused! Calling all Keto Warriors!

Options
erin3011
erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm new to Keto! Day two actually.
Here is a snapshot of my total macros for today. Am I on target or two high with carbs?
xvy2hf9bh89n.png

(Note, I'm doing this because I was diagnosed with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and have been advised to do this diet by a doctor. I am scheduled for a nutritionist appt but that's in 5 weeks.)

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

-E

Replies

• ExoticKaotic
    ExoticKaotic Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    At the end of day, subtract your net carbs fiber from your total carb intake and that will give you your true daily carb intake. Ex, for me since im keto as well my carb intake on my macro breakdown was 35 grams, my net carbs were 15. So 35 minus 15= 20grams I would actually count towards my daily carb intake.
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's a keto group that could help you.
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    At the end of day, subtract your net carbs fiber from your total carb intake and that will give you your true daily carb intake. Ex, for me since im keto as well my carb intake on my macro breakdown was 35 grams, my net carbs were 15. So 35 minus 15= 20grams I would actually count towards my daily carb intake.

So you are telling me to take my carbs (37) minus my fiber )10) and my net carbs is 27...... correct? Or are you saying to take my carbs- (carbs-fiber). The way you explained it has me a bit confused. "Net carbs fiber from your total carbs"
    I thought net carbs was simply your carbs minus your fiber....

• VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your fat and protein ratios should be switched to be "textbook" keto; your #s are more reminiscent of "bodybuilder/athlete" keto. 27 net carbohydrates is fine
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Most ketoers try to stay under 20 grams, but don't worry too much about that - it looks like your protein and fat is a little off, you want to aim for a lot more fat and less protein. A good rule of thumb is your fat should be double your protein, and keep your (net or total, depending on what you want to do) under 20. Too much protein can turn into sugar with Gluconeogenesis. There is a low carber daily group you can join also. There are a lot on fb that I like as well. Good luck and keto on!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Your goals look okay to me. Ketosis will usually happen for people eating under 50g per day but the exception may be those with insulin resistance, and livers that are pumping out a lot of glucose via gluconeogenesis. Those of us who have IR (like NAFLD) may need to go lower carb. 20 or 30g of carbs is a pretty common number.

Your fats are a bit low, and protein a bit high on that day, but your goals seem fine to me. Your protein level is probably okay and most likely won't interfere with ketosis. Very high protein, approaching 200g, might.

I highly recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a great book for normalizing insulin and blood glucose levels.
    erin3011 wrote: »

So you are telling me to take my carbs (37) minus my fiber )10) and my net carbs is 27...... correct? Or are you saying to take my carbs- (carbs-fiber). The way you explained it has me a bit confused. "Net carbs fiber from your total carbs"
    I thought net carbs was simply your carbs minus your fiber....

There is no need to use net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) if you don't want to. As someone with IR, I keep my carbs between 20-30 g and ignore fibre, although fibre usually makes up a large percentage of that.
  • superchubs76
    superchubs76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning new to Keto myself :) how do you guys feel about butter coffee?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good morning new to Keto myself :)how do you guys feel about butter coffee?[/quote]

I prefer coconut cream but I've had it. If you have room in your calories for it, and like the taste, then enjoy it. Don't feel the need to add fats to coffee if you don't want to. As many would say, black coffee is keto too. ;)