Hitting calorie surplus!

Options
Hi All,

So I've been a member of My Fitness Pal for about 7 months now with proper tracking and goal setting. Last year I weighed 17 stone 3 lbs and managed to drop to 13 stone 11 lbs, which I am now. Ever since losing weight I've felt so much healthier and better in myself. It is also so so so important for me due to my heart condition too and excess weight, which I had, could’ve caused damage to my health condition.

Now, I've lost the weight which is brilliant, and I currently go to the gym, and I have a personal trainer who helps me with nutrition and creates tailored-made programs for me to follow for a month and then review the following month. Last Friday, he set me my calorie intake and macros for bulking up a bit, and also designed a new programme to follow that targets most of the main muscle groups all in one workout. Now I'm fairly new to all of this and just need someone who may have been in my shoes before to give some helpful advice to me. My calorie intake per day needs to be around 3,229 calories, that is 74g of fat and 158g of protein a day; however, I am meeting my fat macros and protein macros almost every day, but I am only consuming around 2,000 odd calories, sometimes even less! I don't want to see any more weight loss, but I want to see muscle mass increase on the scales at the gym. Now I know it takes time, dedication, effort and motivation all of which I have. I usually treat myself every payday, so the end of the month, to a meal out at somewhere like Nando's or Pizza Hut but I don't go overboard!

Anyway slightly off topic there. I want to know how I can meet them calorie goals a day without going over my macro targets which I am currently meeting but with only 2,000 odd calories. I use Joe Wick's Lean in 15 books to give me meal , dessert and treat ideas and often adjust how much grams of chicken I will have with a meal or have much grams of peanut butter I'll have with a meal and so on. However, my calorie intake still isn't being met. (by the way, I’ve followed Joe Wick’s book throughout my weight loss journey)

Please, could someone help and advise me. To summarise, my goal is to now bulk up and add some muscle mass now I've lost the three stone, my goal for protein is 158 grams and fats 74 grams which I am meeting, but I am not meeting by calorie surplus goal which is 3,229 calories-roughly-a day. Also don't confuse me with too much technical information, if someone could help me with a basic explanation and some advice on what to do then that would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, protein and fat are minimums so you can go over or increase them as you see fit, and the rest fill with carbs. So.. if your cal goal isn't being met.. eat more. Fill the rest with carbs and any other macro. Done.
  • jacknyland258
    jacknyland258 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    But what kind of foods are high in carbs but low in fat and protein so I don't go over them two macros?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Breads (toast, bagels, tortillas, pitas, etc), grains, pasta, rice, legumes, potatoes, corn, fruit, etc.

Also, don't be so focused on not going over the other macros, I mean, you want to have something that is highest in carbs to fill your carb macro, but don't worry if you go over protein and fat here and there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But what kind of foods are high in carbs but low in fat and protein so I don't go over them two macros?

You don't get bonus points for having perfect macros.

Calories trump macros.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

they are just minimums, not maximums

what matters is that you hit your surplus, hit your macro minimums, and then fill in from there...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    He is giving you minimums to hit. You may fill the rest of calories with what ever you want.
  • jacknyland258
    Options
    So even if I go over on the macros it won't effect anything?
  • jacknyland258
    Options
    I obviously am prepared to gain fat mass too as part of putting on muscle mass, it just something I've got to be prepared for. But what you guys are saying is to hit my calorie goals and go over on fats and proteins and fill up with carbs if need be :smile: ?
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Literally just eat more than your maintenance, it doesn't matter if it's carbs, fats or proteins.

Also... why isn't your 'Personal Trainer' answering these questions for you?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Can't you just adjust the numbers to make them fit? Lots of foods will have some of every macro. ie. Eat less chicken to counter the protein provided from grains/nut butter/whatever you eat with protein in it....
  • jacknyland258
    Options
    Literally just eat more than your maintenance, it doesn't matter if it's carbs, fats or proteins.

The reason I haven't asked him yet is because I have not yet seen him since I posted this question. I'm off to the gym tonight and will hopefully see him around.
  • jacknyland258
    Options

Once I've spoken to him about my question, I will post his response in here and see what you guys think of his answer.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I don't think it really matters if you go over in protein and fats. Due to dietary restrictions (health condition) I'm often over on those and under on carbs. It works for me. Do what works for you!
  • JoRocka
    Options

You'll spontaneously combust and die.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • jacknyland258
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Thought so!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Thought so!

Damn, I've been trying to get that whole spontaneously combust thing going for years. Can't believe I was doing it wrong. Thanks for setting me straight!
  • JoRocka
    Options

Thought so!

Damn, I've been trying to get that whole spontaneously combust thing going for years. Can't believe I was doing it wrong. Thanks for setting me straight!

I aim to please.