Foot problem ruining my workouts :(

Options
I just started going back to the gym recently, and most of my cardio is power walking on a high incline on the treadmill. A few weeks ago, towards the end of my walk, I started feeling a pain on the back of my right ankle, where the tendons are I guess? I figured it was a blister or chafing from my socks. It was worse the next time I went to the gym, and now I can't even walk in my running shoes without the pain. there's no blister or visible mark, and it doesn't hurt when I touch it or press on it, only when I try to walk in my workout shoes. The shoes aren't new, but they're far from worn out, and I've never had a problem like this before. It's getting so frustrating because it's making it impossible for me to work out at all. I've tried everything I can think of, including bandaids and even cotton rounds between my ankle and my shoe, and nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on and how I can fix it?

Replies

• Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Options
    Heel stress fracture? Plantar Fascitis?
  • JanieKelley
    JanieKelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Behavioral is right. I have a heel spur (Plantar Fascitis). Conservative treatment is almost always successful, given enough time. Treatment can last from several months to 2 years before symptoms get better. Most patients will be better in 9 months.

Initial treatment usually consists of:

•Anti-inflammatory medications
    •Heel stretching exercises
    •Night splints
    •Shoe inserts

If these fail, putting the affected foot in a short leg cast (a cast up to but not above the knee) for 3-6 weeks is very often successful in reducing pain and inflammation. Alternatively, a cast boot (which looks like a ski boot) may be used. It is still worn full time, but can be removed for bathing.

Some physicians will offer steroid injections, which can provide lasting relief in many people. However, this injection is very painful and not for everyone.

In a few patients, non-surgical treatment fails and surgery to release the tight, inflamed fascia becomes necessary.
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I suffer from planters, but that usually runs along the bottom of your foot...it sounds like achilles tendonistis. You probably have a mild case of it since you don't feel pain when you press on it. I would suggest you stay off your feet for a few days. Apply a cool ice pack to it on your down time. And when you work out, as horrible as this may sound, wrap it firmly...not tight!!! Make sure you are walking with your hips and legs. Don't put too much strain on that tendon or this will persist. I've had so many problems with my feet working out. Good form will definitely save you in the long run. :) Hope you feel better soon.
  • WhomII
    WhomII Posts: 24
    Options
    I have be on the injured list since September with Plantar Fascitis and Heel spur. Mine hurt when I walk AND when I push on it. I have been to Dr.'s, therapy, etc. I am slowly getting better but still on the injured list.

Stretch the heck out of your foot from your toe on up to your rumparoo. Roll your foot on a golf ball before you get out of bed. Roll your foot on a frozen bottle. Oh so many other things they have you do. Step stretches (going on your toes and then down hanging your foot off the step with your toes & ball of foot still on the step. Runners stretch. Crouch on the balls of your foot.

As far as the "rubbing" feeling....I have heard if you have a blister to put some tape like runners tape or duct tape so the rubbing is on the tape and not on the skin. A bandaid would just allow the rubbing to still be under the bandaid.

Good luck!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I did a little reading and from what I gather, heel spurs are more on the bottom of the feet than the back of the ankle? my pain is on the back of my ankle, where my shoe rubs against it.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I suffer from planters, but that usually runs along the bottom of your foot...it sounds like achilles tendonistis. You probably have a mild case of it since you don't feel pain when you press on it. I would suggest you stay off your feet for a few days. Apply a cool ice pack to it on your down time. And when you work out, as horrible as this may sound, wrap it firmly...not tight!!! Make sure you are walking with your hips and legs. Don't put too much strain on that tendon or this will persist. I've had so many problems with my feet working out. Good form will definitely save you in the long run. :) Hope you feel better soon.

I think you might be right about tendinitis, because there's a good chance that the incline made me put strain there. I'm gonna see if my brother has anything I can wrap my foot up with, and maybe that will help me out. Thank you for the advice!
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Another thing I forgot to add...along with a cool icepack on it, I would suggest you stretch it out a little. Try pointing your toes out and rolling your ankle around. Do it for a minute or so a couple times during the day. Just so you don't get any tension in it while it's healing. Tendons heal very very slowly. So just take it easy and don't expect it to go away so quickly. :)