I have 10 hens and more eggs then I can handle... help me eat them!!

Options
It's only my husband and I and my step son on weekends (although he is 17 and just got his first job, so those weekend are fewer and farer between now - I guess we should count ourselves lucky they happen at all!). The hens, even through the winter, are all laying once per day - we have WAY too many eggs. This is our first year with hens and to be honest I didn't actually expect them all to live through the first year!

In our house, everybody has to eat their daily eggs... its like drinking your water. We always ask - did you eat your eggs today? Even so we are constantly giving eggs away, but I feel guilty cooking some other protein when I know I have all those eggs sitting on the counter!

So, I need ideas for eating them! I am getting tired of the scrambled/fried eggs for breakfast, omelets, and boiled eggs for lunch. I need some ideas that are not traditional egg dishes, that are more traditionally cooked with other meats. Today, for my lunch I am getting a bit adventurous and putting my Indian Curried Lentils on top of two scrambled eggs instead of rice... I have no idea yet how it will work out.. its a surprise...

Also, I am not concerned about cholesterol... I know there are numerous conflicting "studies", so I choose to subscribe to the ones that claim that cholesterol in eggs is good cholesterol, and I'll back that up with having my Dr. keep an eye on my cholesterol level - she is a good "egg" like that..

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Casseroles and Quiches are your friend. Allrecipes.com has tons.
  • bossyblackdog
    bossyblackdog Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do have a quiche I haven't made in a while - I should whip that one up.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi! I make 'breakfast muffins' and freeze them. There are dozens of recipes online. Try googling "Paleo Breakfast Muffins"...

And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_egg_dishes
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup might solve your problem. >:)

I love hash for dinner, lunch, breakfast, or really any time with 2-3 fried eggs on top. http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-make-breakfast-hash-without-a-recipe-article

I've been meaning to try https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/bibimbap-ultimate-bowl-meal/, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

You could also make your own mayo with yolks and then use whites for something like http://www.themacroexperiment.com/blog/enjoying-food-angel-food-protein-cake
  • jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We have 4 hens and had to recently lay off eggs for a couple of days for the girls to catch up :) When we have a surplus I usually give some to friends, but if I'm in the mood to restock the freezer my go to items are usually breakfast burritos (my husband's fav for weekdays) or breakfast casseroles (for weekends). Frittatas using leftover veggies and a good cheese are great for lunch. Angel food cakes use a lot of egg whites. Have a homemade mayo recipe I'd like to try (yolks). You can supposedly crack and freeze them individually too, but I haven't experimented with that yet.
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I have a friend with this problem. She does three things:

1) Freezes her extras (egg-stras?). Cracks them into a freezer container in the portions they typically eat. A hedge against non-laying days.

2) Drops them off at the community food pantry. They sometimes have refrigeration. And eggs are so much better for the recipients than the usual boxed and canned food they get. She also gives them to some of her neighbors who are lower income.

3) Trade them with me for dog-watching services. Which was a total win for me. Doggie time AND free, fresh eggs! :)

Thanks for this!

1) non-egg laying days???!!! Do those happen??!! haha I guess I am experiencing the benefits of all my girls being young! It is a good idea though, those days will eventually come!
    2) We give them to friends and family all the time, but none of them are low income (although they are greatful and I like knowing I am doing SOMETHING (even if very small) for my neice and nephew. It would be a good idea to find a couple neighbors that could really use the extra help though. I'll have to push myself out of my shy comfort zone for this one...
    3) Your a genius! If only I had thought of befriending someone with dogs to watch and too many eggs.. instead I have too many eggs and beautiful (although bossy) black lab that needs a babysitter when we go away... seems I need a you!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Have you considered donating to food banks, shelters or churches (provided they accept home grown eggs)? Then there's homemade egg foo yung, egg salads, egg drop soup, deviled eggs, breakfast burritos and tacos (made with a baked cheese "taco shell", frittatas...check out Pinterest also. The list is endless!
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    Have you considered donating to food banks, shelters or churches (provided they accept home grown eggs)? Then there's homemade egg foo yung, egg salads, egg drop soup, deviled eggs, breakfast burritos and tacos (made with a baked cheese "taco shell", frittatas...check out Pinterest also. The list is endless!

egg drop soup, and egg tacos!! Great ideas! I have never head of egg foo yung, I'll have to look that one up. I am especially excited about the egg tacos haha
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you work in an office, leave a note in a public space offering them to anyone that could benefit. With a large number of people, we found that co-workers knew of many people in need.

Or a local pantry could be a good idea too. When i was moving cross country, I had a good amount of a cold/frozen products un-opened (bagged chicken, cheese, frozen entree bags). I found a local church pantry that accepted them. I dropped them off on the morning of the pantry distribution day and the products were in the hands of needy families before I left the building.
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    Chicken soup might solve your problem. >:)

I love hash for dinner, lunch, breakfast, or really any time with 2-3 fried eggs on top. http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-make-breakfast-hash-without-a-recipe-article

I've been meaning to try https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/bibimbap-ultimate-bowl-meal/, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

You could also make your own mayo with yolks and then use whites for something like http://www.themacroexperiment.com/blog/enjoying-food-angel-food-protein-cake

haha it took me a second to get your chicken soup comment... at first I was thinking "chicken soup with eggs??" haha! Oh god I know that day will have to come too, but I am not prepared for it. I know its a package deal, but geeze its going to take me some mental prep time. Can I just run a chicken retirement home instead?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I was thinking .. wring a couple necks, pluck, chop, fry up.. yummy! :wink:

I don't have any ideas on the extra eggs beyond what others have already said. lol
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I have a friend with this problem. She does three things:

1) Freezes her extras (egg-stras?). Cracks them into a freezer container in the portions they typically eat. A hedge against non-laying days.

2) Drops them off at the community food pantry. They sometimes have refrigeration. And eggs are so much better for the recipients than the usual boxed and canned food they get. She also gives them to some of her neighbors who are lower income.

3) Trade them with me for dog-watching services. Which was a total win for me. Doggie time AND free, fresh eggs! :)

Thanks for this!

1) non-egg laying days???!!! Do those happen??!! haha I guess I am experiencing the benefits of all my girls being young! It is a good idea though, those days will eventually come!
    2) We give them to friends and family all the time, but none of them are low income (although they are greatful and I like knowing I am doing SOMETHING (even if very small) for my neice and nephew. It would be a good idea to find a couple neighbors that could really use the extra help though. I'll have to push myself out of my shy comfort zone for this one...
    3) Your a genius! If only I had thought of befriending someone with dogs to watch and too many eggs.. instead I have too many eggs and beautiful (although bossy) black lab that needs a babysitter when we go away... seems I need a you!

The eggs are actually a good ice-breaker with neighbors. They're helping you solve a problem. I'm a total introvert, so I get it. I've lived here for three years and have only spoken to one of our four neighbors.

And, hey, I'm always up for doggie time. Just let me know when and where. :)
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    I was thinking .. wring a couple necks, pluck, chop, fry up.. yummy! :wink:

I don't have any ideas on the extra eggs beyond what others have already said. lol

What's funny is I actually don't even like chicken! I think I might be the only person in this world who would rather eat any meat other then chicken! Chicken soup will be on the menu when the time comes though! Eggs I do love, just looking for some ways to keep them interesting!
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some Chinese dishes that contain a lot of egg but aren't neccesarily egg-forward: fried rice, hot and sour soup
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'd sell them on the egg black market. ;) Happy eggs are worth $3-5/dozen here, and people sell them either on kijiji (Canadian CL) or just word of mouth. My mom sold eggs all through my childhood (she did have about 50 hens, though, as we lived on a farm).
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    mattdhall wrote: »
    Some Chinese dishes that contain a lot of egg but aren't neccesarily egg-forward: fried rice, hot and sour soup
    Your right! I can't believe I didn't think of this! I must have buried these way in a back room of my brain because I did know they were egg users...
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I'd sell them on the egg black market. ;) Happy eggs are worth $3-5/dozen here, and people sell them either on kijiji (Canadian CL) or just word of mouth. My mom sold eggs all through my childhood (she did have about 50 hens, though, as we lived on a farm).

Oh lord this will be me soon. Hubby wants to expand to turkeys next year, and I am actively working to keep the goat at bay (I have heard stories of people heading out of the house in the morning and finding the goat standing on top of their car!). We have 8 acres... it started with a couple hens.. grew to hens and ducks... I hear rumors of turkeys coming...
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The food pantry is a great way to get rid of extra eggs. If they are registered as a non profit you may be able to deduct the donation on y our taxes.
    About the turkeys- like, to eat them, or for the eggs?