what to do with an unruly roommate.

Options
BoudiLuna
BoudiLuna Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
I need some input on this. I've got roommates. A married couple. One is very supportive of my nutrition and exercise (the wife), but her husband is irritated that i don't buy food like breaded chicken, hotdogs, burritos, pizza, corndogs, french fries...basically stuff that he eats and he alone. i buy highly nutritional food and make stuff from scratch. i buy my veggies (oh, i'm vegetarian and he wonders why i don't buy that stuff..yes, i'm buying other things we all can eat but i gear the rest for me), tofu, beans, eggs, chia seeds, cashew/almond milk..you get the picture.

i help out around the house and i still go for my daily walk to get my steps and i always get my goal. i eat healthy and i meet that goal as well, including coming in at the end of the day UNDER my calorie goal, everyday. and i always feel full. and it shows because i've lost 5 lbs in one week.

i'm not changing my habits or nutrition requirements. i'm not going to put poison in my body (processed food) and blow my efforts to bits. he may not care about his health (he's already got signs of impending colon cancer, diabetes, all the nasty stuff), but i do.

i'm very sorry that this is so...negative...on a positive and motovating site. i just wanted to vent and show everyone that no matter what, never sacrifice your health for anything. i can move and plan to.

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Lol, I buy my own junk food, he can too
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What are the signs of impending colon cancer other than polyps? Processed foods aren't poison btw. You have processed foods in the list of foods you eat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    He will eat that stuff until it kills him. On the bright side you don't have to worry about coming home to find all your veggies gone because if it were chips and dip it would be gone.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why is a grown, married man mad at you for not buying him chicken nuggets?

Lol! My thoughts exactly!!!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Why is your adult roommate (not your spouse, presumably not someone you have any sort of joint finances with) upset that you're not spending your money on food for him or doing his shopping for him? I think you need to work on boundaries and ground rules that go beyond food preferences.

Also, just because a food isn't nutritionally dense doesn't make it poison.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to share food? When I had roommates, we all ate our own stuff. We could care less what the others brought home.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    He can buy his own food.

Also you should eat all of your calories (except exercise calories, because MFP overestimates), or close to it, every day. MFP already creates a deficit for you, you don't need to create a bigger one, unless you're banking your calories for a big meal at the end of the week or something like that. 5 pounds a week loss is a pretty big loss, unless you're very obese - they say you should aim for 1% of your body weight a week, .5 pounds to 2 pounds (2 pounds if you've got like 100 pounds to lose). Be careful not to burn out.

Processed food is not poison, and tofu/almond/cashew milk is pretty processed too.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why are you buying food for the household? It's a roommate environment, not a family unit.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Does everyone not buy there own food? Why does he care what you buy? Are you cooking for everyone? Just for fun, or as part of your rent? If you cooking for everyone just to be nice, then stop. If you are cooking in lieu of X amount of rent, then yes you do need to cook to their preference because they are paying you to cook.

You are however, mistaken if you think tofu and cashew milk is not just as processed as nuggets pizza.
  • frammis4242
    frammis4242 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    does the couple not buy their own food? why are you feeding these people on your own money
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Lol. So many questions being asked here. I can't be the only one thinking "Why are you living with a married couple?"
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You buy food for you. They buy food for them. You each eat your own food.
    If you want to shop for food for everyone have a list that everyone adds what they want from the store. Buy stuff off the list without judgement.
    Not that hard. If you can't do it then find different roommates.
    5 lbs a week is not a healthy rate of loss. The maximum reccomended is 2 lbs a week and that is if you are 50+ lb overweight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    Lol. So many questions being asked here. I can't be the only one thinking "Why are you living with a married couple?"

There could be a myriad of reasons, but I know at least in my city/state, it is incredibly expensive to live on one's own.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Why is your adult roommate (not your spouse, presumably not someone you have any sort of joint finances with) upset that you're not spending your money on food for him or doing his shopping for him? I think you need to work on boundaries and ground rules that go beyond food preferences.

Also, just because a food isn't nutritionally dense doesn't make it poison.

But it is poison. When I eat fatty foods like Burgers, fries and fried chicken I swell up like a tick. That is an obvious sign of food poisoning. :D
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    Why can't his wife buy his food?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you their caretakers? Do you have some sort of agreement to stock chicken nuggets and burritos in exchange for free wi-fi? I don't understand what is going on here.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    So many questions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why is a grown, married man mad at you for not buying him chicken nuggets?

This, and
    What are the signs of impending colon cancer other than polyps?.

This??
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Is this a boarding situation? Are they paying you to handle all these things as part of rent? Its not unheard of out here, but usually it applies to high school student who go elsewhere for school... not a married couple who sound physically capable of providing their own food.... May I suggest a mini fridge and hot plate for their room?