Trying To Increase - Worried about weight gain

Options
haleyhawkins
haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so I was a cardio freak. I was running 6-7 miles a day and not eating much over 500-600 calories and little fat. In the past month, I have decided I needed a change. I have started Camp Gladiator which incorporates weight training and this month I am focused on my diet. I KNOW I need to up calorie. I have currently gotten to 700-800 a day. I am trying to do a 30/40/40 (30 being protein) and I usually go over that. I am scared that if I up my fats, I am going to start packing on the pounds this month.

I don't know what a healthy day looks like. I will include a screen shot of my meal plan for today for a reference.

Thank you all so much for all your help!

I am aware this is very low. I was actually diagnosed with anorexia when I was 16. I am 24 now. This is a lot better than what it was. I am just trying to figure out how to add calories without packing on the pounds.

Your Food Diary For:
Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Breakfast - 83 calories
Egg Beaters - Southwestern Style, 9 tbsp (46g) 60
Kirkland Signature - Saigon Ground Cinnamon, 1.5 tsp 9
Spinach - Raw, 20 g 5
Mushrooms, white, raw, 40 g 9

Lunch - 100 cal
cg tuna salad, 1 serving(s) 95
Organic - Cucumber, 100 g 15

Dinner - 306 calories
Heb - Herb & Garlic Light Cheese Wedges, 1 wedge 25
Tuna - Tuna in Water, 1 container (4 oz) 100
Chiobani - Greek Yogurt Plain Nonfat, 1 oz. 15
Celery, raw, 2.5 stalk, large (11"-12" long) 26
Cucumber - Cucumbers, 100 g
Heb - Garden Salad (1-1/2 Cups), 1 -/2 cups (85g) 15
Salata - Mushrooms, 1 handful 5
Egg - Egg, 1 large 72
Jfc International - Shiritaki Noodles, 1 container (6 oz (85g) ea.) 30

Snacks - 200 calories
HEB - Honeycrisp Applr Slices, 6 slices 35
Heb - Herb & Garlic Light Cheese Wedges, 1 wedge 25
Chobani - Greek Yogurt - Fat Free - Plain, 1 Cup 80
Hawaiin Punch - Sugar Free Drink Packet, 1 Packet 10
Silk - Unsweetened Cashew Milk, 2 Cup (240ml) 50

Total Calories - 699

Macros
Protein - 53%
Fat - 17%
Carbs - 30%

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition is a very bad thing. Please up it to at least 1200. What are your stats or height and weight? Btw fat doesn't make you fat.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been doing this, you need to see a doctor. You also need to up your calories to 1200 or more immediately.

This has some good resources: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Holy smokes that is so little food. I don't know how you function. I would imagine you have unfortunately lost a lot of muscle along the way, and if you don't eat more you will continue to lose muscle. Losing muscle sucks, and believe me it is very difficult to gain back once it's gone.

Please increase the cals.. fuel your workouts.. feed your body.. fat is good, food is good.

And yes I agree.. please please see a doctor
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    WAY too little! You should take that calorie day and multiply it by 3 times if you're working out.
  • marrrisa
    Options
    I eat that many calories in 1 meal lol
  • marrrisa
    Options
    marrrisa wrote: »
    WAY too little! You should take that calorie day and multiply it by 3 times if you're working out.

Quoting myself here - just wanted to mention I'm not recommending jumping to this many calories immediately. Definitely at a slow rate add in more calories every few weeks. But a healthy amount of food to eat is above 1200 calories/day ESPECIALLY if working out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat...too many calories does. And 700 calories is NOWHERE NEAR too many calories for an adult.

Speak to a professional. You're going to need more help than just upping your calories to a sustainable (at or greater than 1200) level.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swap all the reduced or low fat products for their full fat equivalents- the portion is no bigger but is more calorific.

I would however consider seeing a doctor and getting some support with your recovery.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Period.

You're not fueling your body enough for your activity.

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Are you low carb? If not, add some bread or crackers with your tuna....that will bring your calories up. Some meat with your breakfast, or replacing the egg whites with an actual egg (or two) will also increase your count. I have lost weight (50lbs) to my goal and continue to lose a few "extra" pounds while eating a very high fat diet. If you stay within your calories (above 1200, that is), eating more fat will not cause you to pack on pounds.
  • haleyhawkins
    Options
    Malnutrition is a very bad thing. Please up it to at least 1200. What are your stats or height and weight? Btw fat doesn't make you fat.

5'5 at about 120
  • haleyhawkins
    Options
    I am aware this is very low. I was actually diagnosed with anorexia when I was 16. I am 24 now. This is a lot better than what it was. I am just trying to figure out how to add calories without packing on the pounds.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Were you or are you currently working with a treatment team?
  • haleyhawkins
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I was. Now I am trying to work with my Camp Gladiator trainer and team
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    UltraVegRunnerBabe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Check out Nina and Randa on YouTube, as well as High Carb Hannah.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I don't know how long you've been eating under 1200 calories per day, but I'm guessing that gaining a few pounds would be much healthier for you.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

are you being honest about how little you are eating?
  • haleyhawkins
    Options

Yes. If I eat anything more than this, it is usually extra celery or cucumbers
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I think the poster meant are you being honest with your coach and team. Are they aware of your intake?
  • haleyhawkins
    Options

I think the poster meant are you being honest with your coach and team. Are they aware of your intake?

I have told them I struggle to get enough, yes.