Any other woman 5 feet 3 inches ?

BrookeRunningMom
BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Im 5 3 and was 156 11 weeks ago now down to 129. I have 9 more lbs to go but just getting annoyed Im still chunky and I've have had 2 kids one less then 1 year old. So I got saggy skin. Is 120lbs not a good weight for a woman 5 3 should I set a lower goal weight?

Replies

• emmym74
    emmym74 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 5'3" also. Everybody is different and you have to decide what weight you feel your best at. I am at 130 right now but feel my best at about 115. But again that's just me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    120 pounds will look different on different women who are 5'3 depending on how much of it is lean body weight (like muscle) and how much is fat. If you're at a good weight and you still aren't happy with how you look, it may be time to begin resistance training (if you aren't already).
  • BrookeRunningMom
    edited February 2017
    Great thank you. Ive been doing cardio and eating less calories and eating healthy. Just incorporated 10 lbs dumbbells and doing lots of the bridge exercise. Just sick of looking at fat!
  • clousea17
    clousea17 Posts: 6 Member
    I am a bit shorter (5') and 120 is around the high end of the healthy weight scale for my height. Since you are a little taller, 120 should be perfectly fine for you. Keep in mind it's not all about weight, though, so definitely follow Megan's advice about strength training. Toning/building a bit of muscle, rather than trying to lose more weight, may help tighten your skin or make it far less noticeable.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    It varies by individual. I'm 5'4, so only 1 inch taller than you. Since I've reached my adult height, my lowest weight was 125 (due to mono). I looked ill (probably because I was ill!) then bounced back up to my normal weight of 135 and was much happier. That was 18 years, 1 husband, and 2 kids ago though :wink: My new goal weight is 145.

Losing weight won't firm up stretched skin, but if there is any fat underneath the skin, it may help it look better. Time helps somewhat. You've lost an average of 2.5 pounds/week - that more than is recommended. Make sure you're eating enough and meeting your nutritional needs, and give your skin some time to rebound.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    1117429 wrote: »
    Im 5 3 and was 156 11 weeks ago now down to 129. I have 9 more lbs to go but just getting annoyed Im still chunky and I've have had 2 kids one less then 1 year old. So I got saggy skin. Is 120lbs not a good weight for a woman 5 3 should I set a lower goal weight?

Wow, that's awesome progress. Congrats. I'm 5'3" and my body type looks pretty bad with anything less than 120. But I have a lot of muscle, so 120 and below starts looking skeletal on me. Pay attention to how you feel, how much you enjoy the lifestyle required to maintain that, and what your body composition is like.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    5'3" also. Currently sitting at 142lbs.

I definitely think 120lbs is a reasonable weight for that height - but like others said, it's gonna look different on everyone due to body composition. 120 is within a healthy BMI range.

Once you get down to the final ten pounds, it might be slow going.

I do believe that you lost pretty fast. 156 down to 129 in 11 weeks is 27lbs lost. Maybe you can slow it down for the final ten and work on strength training to prevent further muscle loss.

You're running the risk of skinny fat right now, where you look the same but smaller.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    I'm 5'3" and 120 on me looks way too unhealthy. What you should be striving for is where you feel the best. I'm a large chested woman, and therefore I'm lifting weights to develop other areas to get more of an hour glass look. I also do a ton of core exercises. Working on Squats and lunges to develop a butt, and my arms are looking great. So... before you choose the best weight, start thinking of the better tone. I'm well over 120 and am developing lean muscle that doesn't care what the scale says. If you are working on sagging skin, you can work that area, and use lots of lotions as our pregnancies do stretch it out. Don't focus on the scale when it's most likely the muscle tone you are looking for
  • BrookeRunningMom
    edited February 2017

I definitely think 120lbs is a reasonable weight for that height - but like others said, it's gonna look different on everyone due to body composition. 120 is within a healthy BMI range.

I do believe that you lost pretty fast. 156 down to 129 in 11 weeks is 27lbs lost. Maybe you can slow it down for the final ten and work on strength training to prevent further muscle loss.

You're running the risk of skinny fat right now, where you look the same but smaller.

Thank you yes exactly i look like a skinny fat lol ! And trying to do more strength training. Though I don't no much about it. I also breastfeed so I think that along with eating healthy Calorie deficit and excersise help me loose weight pretty quickly
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Definitely reasonable weight. I am 124 right now trying to get back to 119. Lowest was 114 (during marathon training 3 years ago). Agree with everyone that says to concentrate on firming up.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I'm an inch shorter and maintain happily at 128lbs - its a good weight for my build - I have a lot of muscle though :smile: I highly recommend doing strength training, that will really firm up any flabby bits. All the best and congrats on your weight loss to date :smile:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member

Thank you yes exactly i look like a skinny fat lol ! And trying to do more strength training. Though I don't no mucj about it. I also breastfeed so I think that along with eating healthy Calorie deficit and excersise help me lpose weight pretty quickly

So this is key, actually. If you have a higher bf percentage, you may be able to go lower than 120. I cannot, because at 120, my bf% was down around 15-16 and that's really threshold for me. You *could* go lower but there's no real reason to dip below 15% on purpose.

If you feel skinny fat, now is the time to get a reliable bf% measure and maybe focus on that metric rather than the scale for these last pounds. I also encourage strength training, because it's great for you. Sounds like you're on the right track.
  • sammyliftsandeats

Thank you yes exactly i look like a skinny fat lol ! And trying to do more strength training. Though I don't no much about it. I also breastfeed so I think that along with eating healthy Calorie deficit and excersise help me loose weight pretty quickly

Breastfeeding burns a ton of calories. Has a big deficit affected your milk supply at all? How many calories do you eat a day? If it isn't harming milk supply and leaving you wiped, you can keep doing what you're doing but keep in mind that strength training is going to require more fuel.

I guess being a new mom means having a hard time going to the gym but you can start doing bodyweight moves at home.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Breastfeeding been the same just am loosing supply now because we recently started weaning she will be a year in a week it just gets to much now shes getting older. I dont get away from kids so I purchased treadmill and weights do my excersise at home.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    I'm 5'3", and personally, I'd love to be 129 lbs. But I'm currently running, and hope to be a *fit* 130 lbs before I decide on losing any more.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    im 5 dt 3 and i like my body at 150-155 because im naturally curvy. Admittedly my goal is 140 but id hate to go to low below that :o You must be so tiny
  • BrookeRunningMom
    q4ovnt7rs6a5.jpg
    Im not very small are you maybe taller then 5 3 JaydaMiss ?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    q4ovnt7rs6a5.jpg
    Im not very small are you maybe taller then 5 3 JaydaMiss ?

Nah I am just very curvy maybe most my weight sits in thick thighs and big boobs. I have a tiny waist now though its what i started wanting :p Pic i took yesterday when i got a new mirror :p Excuse the mess. Point was i weigh WAY more than you your definatly petite great job :p Fyi I lost 80 pounds i also have alot of loose skin. Unfortunate isnt it? Battle scars atleast yours are from mommyhood x3 Maybe the loose skin hides how little you are in your mind?
    kxj5ydbr2t35.jpg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I'm five 3 and also have about 10 lb to take off. 120 is where I look/feel best. I was there but gained when I was sick for several months.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Breastfeeding been the same just am loosing supply now because we recently started weaning she will be a year in a week it just gets to much now shes getting older. I dont get away from kids so I purchased treadmill and weights do my excersise at home.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This is a link to a beginners body weight workout you can do at home, if you are interested.

By the way, I think you look great :)