• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm just really happy I'm finally a Unicorn

But which version are you? (according to said definitions above) :D
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - hey...you saw that huh? And thanks. I agree with you all he way. But I also get being jaded by past experiences
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    @happilymegan - I knew I liked you! Preach on girl
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your friend sounds bitter. Perhaps he's ugly, a poor lay, and/or not too intelligent. Perhaps the supposed gold diggers were trying to give him another shot by asking if he were employed/had money. Some people like to try to make a relationship work (or start one) based on minimal factors. Others are desperate to be in one to avoid being homeless (I think they're called Hobosexuals). It's human nature to want to improve our personal situations. Unfortunately, some people feel they cannot work for their improvement outside of putting out for someone else who has the resources they cannot obtain.

I find none of this works out too well. I was married for 13 years. We divorced over his violence towards me in front of the kids. I realized during the marriage that I had settled for an individual only because he "seemed" better than all the other relationships. I disregarded his being on disability, not being a redhead, not being too bright, etc., etc. He had a few factors that I felt were enough to try to build a relationship upon.

Lesson learned: Don't settle. I am a freelance full stack developer. I support myself and my children. He still pays minimal child support that goes into savings accounts for the appointed children. My children's health and safety come before anything else. I refuse to support a grown-up who should have the fortitude and capability to create their own income. Working is part of being an adult.

I am not currently interested in dating anyone, but if I were, I would have to ask a ton of questions and definitely have to feel comfortable enough around the person before establishing a relationship. It's a given that eventually, we'll have to meet each others kids and families. If "sacrificing innocent children" is one of the individual's interests, you bet we won't be having any sort of relationship or convo, for that matter.

Also, they would have to at least meet or exceed what I'm bringing to the table to display intelligence, an interest in the world around them, and the ability to not become buzzard fodder for messing with my children:
    • Divorced/single, adept parent/co-parent
    • NOT a criminal, or having a desire to act in a criminal, thuggish manner
    • Holding at least one, or preferably a couple of degrees in different fields (I hold a Bachelor's in IT and an Associate's in Culinary Arts)
    • WORKING
    • Self-aware and working on improving themselves

Unicorn? Nah. Picky af? For the reasons stated above, you bet your bottom!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think anyone actually believes that applies to *all* women (or single mothers, whatever). But the fact is that it does apply to some, and many of those do a really good job of hiding it until they think they have you trapped (marriage, kid, whatever). My ex wife was one of those. As such, it is something that any man with half a brain goes in being very much on the lookout for. Especially those of us whose career is known to have a much larger salary than most people. Makes you a ripe target.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm just really happy I'm finally a Unicorn

But which version are you? (according to said definitions above) :D

There was versions? Well I wanna be a white one with a long flowing tail and a rainbow horn with bright blue eyes.

On a serious note. I am a single mother. And the dude a couple comments above me his comment bothered me. I will not under any circumstance date someone who isn't working or in school. But when it comes to his money I don't care how much he makes, just as long as he's happy and can support himself. The thought that single mothers need men for their finances is ignorant. The idea that women in general need men is ignorant. I might want a man (might), but I certainly don't NEED one.

You are definitely that version!

And I agree with you. I don't need a man in my life. I want one but I don't need one. I can take care of myself just fine. From things I have seen posted by yourself and others about your life, you are doing an amazing job of taking care of yourself and your littles. Keep rocking that *kitten*!
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    I feel like money only impresses lazy women. I am a hard worker, I do not need a man with money to upgrade my life. Happy with my own successes
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    I feel like money only impresses lazy women. I am a hard worker, I do not need a man with money to upgrade my life. Happy with my own successes
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I'd take great sex with a good man over money any day!

QFT
  • cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have been a single mom. When I started dating I was looking for "stability" for me and for my son.
    Not really financial stability, I had a good job, and owned my own home.
    I was looking for a good role model for my son, and someone who was mentally stable, and treated me right.
    I think most single moms would agree, the blinders are off and we want something more than a good time...

^^^This. So much this, but it seems like financial stability goes along with the rest of it. If one is missing, all of those great qualities seem to be missing.
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    To also isolate the case of gold diggers, they exist because the men dig the hotness or what they perceive as hot.

Would they marry an average, nice girl who is not as easy on the eye or is even deemed unattractive? No. Then they just deserve each other. Nobody can dig your gold mine unless you let it happen.

LOVE THIS BTW
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know both types of women. I get accused of being a gold digger bc I'm high maintenance. What the judgers dont know is I married my husband in high school when he worked at a pizza place. Success came later, I'm glad it did but it wasnt a requirement. I have no intention of being poor again but I wouldnt use a man for money.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Yeah I'd rather take an arrow to the knee 10 times then have a man pay for me or my kids

Just think how much you'd burden your family with hospital bills though...not sure this is well thought out.

Free health care where I live so I'm not worried at all ;)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TL:DR

For you @pudgy1977 :)

undsi0vdh1fh.gif
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

undsi0vdh1fh.gif

OMG! I think I love you....wanna buy me stuff?

• finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkXU_J-fG4
    Stay away from gold diggers or you will end up singing this song .
    Only date cool chicks .
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

undsi0vdh1fh.gif

OMG! I think I love you....wanna buy me stuff?

pi59xxqy5x7o.gif
  • pudgy1977
    Options

Moral of the story....Always cut of the head of your enemy?