Increasing lower leg mass

Options
Struggling to increase lower leg mass and size ....I workout legs twice a weak . One time a week very heavy and the other time is high rep. I do the standard leg exercises all w a good amount of weights... squats, deadlifts, calf lifts, quad lifts, hamstring lifts, reverse lunges, core lifts, etc... very careful w nutrition eating about 3000 cal a day ...but most of the mass goes to my upper body.
any suggestions on how to divert these calories to my lower body- specially lower legs ? Thank you

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Long weighted vest walks have done more for my calves in two months than a year of calf raises and *kitten* did years back. Next time you see an obese person, look at dem calves. They have to carry all of that weight around.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    What we talking here? calf development or the whole leg package?

Running and cycling did it for me, cycling made my calves blow up, skipping might help. Bulgarian split squat and plyometric stuff might be a nice change up for you. Anything explosive should be a good addition.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't know what program you are running, but you may need significantly more volume in the lower body. Spreading out your lower volume over 3-4 days is probably your best bet, at least that is according to the research I read for maximizing particular muscle groups (rather than all over growth). Right now I am bulking and prioritizing growing my lower body, so I work it 3-4x per week.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    Long weighted vest walks have done more for my calves in two months than a year of calf raises and *kitten* did years back. Next time you see an obese person, look at dem calves. They have to carry all of that weight around.

Word. I was fat my whole life. Now I'm not. Still got 16 inch calves.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    More volume. Can you do legs 3x week?
  • wrunyon0331
    wrunyon0331 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know for myself the best results I got for growth and mass in my legs was low volume/high intensity. I would only lift legs once a week but I would absolutely destroy them in the gym with as much weight as possible, never going higher then 10 rep count. Anytime I do high volume or add cardio to my routine my legs stop building mass rather quickly.
  • happyhappyjoyjoy10
    Options
    Thank you for all your feedback...very useful information and I will get started using it asap
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Stairs, lots and lots of stairs (using the front half of your foot to climb the stairs with little to no heel contact on the treads).
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you taking in per day? MFP had mine way to low for my goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Struggling to increase lower leg mass and size ....I workout legs twice a weak . One time a week very heavy and the other time is high rep. I do the standard leg exercises all w a good amount of weights... squats, deadlifts, calf lifts, quad lifts, hamstring lifts, reverse lunges, core lifts, etc... very careful w nutrition eating about 3000 cal a day ...but most of the mass goes to my upper body.
    any suggestions on how to divert these calories to my lower body- specially lower legs ? Thank you

what you are asking is pretty much impossible.

You can't divert surplus calories to yoour lower body
  • brenda_ihc
    brenda_ihc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I thought only women struggled with this. I have been trying to grow my glutes for the past 8 months. I had some results but not like I would want to. If any of you have suggestions I would really appreciate it. My quads seem to get bigger. Lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    brenda_ihc wrote: »
    I thought only women struggled with this. I have been trying to grow my glutes for the past 8 months. I had some results but not like I would want to. If any of you have suggestions I would really appreciate it. My quads seem to get bigger. Lol

I can definitely help you out with this, but you should start a new thread, don't want to totally derail the OP ;)
  • JB035
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Actually if you have all your Macros in the area of muscle building; which tends to include a caloric surplus, high protein and getting enough fats - you will build muscle.
    So, if you train your legs with the correct volume you will see results. In a sense, like you said, he would be diverting his surplus to his lower body. He will most likely grow everywhere but his lower body will benefit the most, because the focus of training is to that specific area.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »

Actually if you have all your Macros in the area of muscle building; which tends to include a caloric surplus, high protein and getting enough fats - you will build muscle.
    So, if you train your legs with the correct volume you will see results. In a sense, like you said, he would be diverting his surplus to his lower body. He will most likely grow everywhere but his lower body will benefit the most, because the focus of training is to that specific area.

Your explanation is over-simplifying things greatly.

• happyhappyjoyjoy10
    Options
    @JP035...I take in about 280 grams of protein a day
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I was a gymnast and dancer. Mega calves. Ballet will give you quite the calf definition due to the amount of time you spend on demi-pointe (tippy toes), just look at male dancers. Mind you, I appreciate a grown man may not want to hit a ballet class!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Protein is often over touted as "mass building" but the reality is that's simply not true.

Protein is far more valuable for cutting/maintaining than it is for building muscle. Truly carbs are king when bulking.

I just wouldn't put a lot of stock in this advice.

But @ndj1979 is right- you cannot "divert" surplus to a certain location.
    Certainly you can train to build size- but you can't dictate where your calorie goals are.

I have had great success with lots of leg days (I do legs 3 times week essentially) and sprints have done wonders.

20 rep squat breathing program = size.

And I have also purchased Kortney Olsens leg mass program- which I have not used- but was able to purchase for a fraction of the offering cost and includes support from her and her personal trainer- so that was well worth the cost of admission.

It's my next leg program to see what happens- so I can offer it up as an option that is designed to build size- but I have no personal experience doing it.
    Everyone else says they are dying doing it though LOL
  • JB035
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Protein is often over touted as "mass building" but the reality is that's simply not true.

Protein is far more valuable for cutting/maintaining than it is for building muscle. Truly carbs are king when bulking.

Certainly you can train to build size- but you can't dictate where your calorie goals are.

I have had great success with lots of leg days (I do legs 3 times week essentially) and sprints have done wonders.

And I have also purchased Kortney Olsens leg mass program- which I have not used- but was able to purchase for a fraction of the offering cost and includes support from her and her personal trainer- so that was well worth the cost of admission.

It's my next leg program to see what happens- so I can offer it up as an option that is designed to build size- but I have no personal experience doing it.

That's why I said you have to have all three in the right areas... what is up with y'all in this community. Super argumentive.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

That's why I said you have to have all three in the right areas... what is up with y'all in this community. Super argumentive.

I realized a while back that it's often less argumentative, and more picky about wording. "The devil is in the details" and all of that. Don't let it bother you. I've had entire posts torn apart, due to how I chose to word a single sentence before.

You get used to it, and honestly, I've come to appreciate it. It's done good things for my ability to give clear and concise deliveries of my thoughts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options

Well he'd have to NOT work upper body then for that to happen. If the same intensity and volume is done for upper body, the surplus will still be split. The body will grow systematically if both upper body and lower body are trained the same volume and intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png