KIDS menu planning

Options
Im trying to start being more organized and planned out with my kiddos, like I am for myself. I am looking for ideas and tips for lunch ideas for my two boys. One will be going to school this year and one will be home with me, but what I would like to do is prepare two of the same lunch in the mornings and pack my older sons for school and then put my 3 yr olds in the fridge for later...the trick is, making it something packable for a lunch bag, AND pleasing picky eaters who arent fond of veggies....give me any ideas you have please!! Here is the direction Im thinking so far, but this is only one day, I need a variety of options as I will probably pack his lunch EVERY day....thanks!

example day 1
PB and J on wheat bread (natural strawberry jam)
carrot and ranch dip pack
cut up strawberries
goldfish
water bottle, milk box or fruit juice box

Now, help me think of more ideas I can make at home!! Oh ps, trying to steer clear of processed meats like bologna and turkey etc, THANKS AGAIN!!

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Cheese sandwiches

Grilled chicken wraps with some lettuce or another veggie in them

Celery sticks with PB

String cheese or Babybel cheeses

Sliced apples
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn with a little fresh butter and Parmesan is another crunchy, salty snack that is natural. Also maybe cut-up apple and peanut butter.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It's good you are letting your kids bring home lunch! So much better for them. I loved having home lunch, especially when my mom put thought into it.
    Instead of processed meats, could you buy a small turkey and roast it and put it on sandwiches? Or is that still processed? IDK. But I love roasted turkey sandwiches. Maybe also a cold pasta salad with a light drizzle of dressing? Or a fruit salad with some fruit dip? Do the kids eat veggies if they have dip? I make wraps with bagged salad and ranch and they're good.
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    if you make a chicken the night before you can save some for a sandwich in the morning... also switch up the carrots with celery!!
    Tuna is a good one to use with a covered bowl and crackers too.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Do they like to eat yogurt? My son likes to eat those Go-Gurts, the ones you can hold. He also likes all sorts of fruits, little fruit snacks, graham crackers, peanut butter with apples, and sometimes raisins.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A thermos can keep all kinds of things warm - not just liquidy things... (Burritos, spaghetti, etc) Most things can be adapted - what are you feeding him now?
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh mygosh you guys these are already such good ideas!! They love chicken and turkey, I love that idea!! ALL of these are GREAT!! Keep them coming!!!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Gogurts are good if he is a yogurt eater. You freeze them and by lunch they are thawed out and ready to eat.
    String cheese is a favorite of my son also.
    Graham crackers
    grapes (if you freeze them they are cold at lunch too)

lol. while i was typing ^^she was posting. great ideas though!!!! lol
  • stnyco
    stnyco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my daughter loves salsa so I put some in a small plastic container with a lid in her lunch. This makes a great dip for carrots, celery sticks, whole grain chips, etc.

also do the same with peanut butter and then send her celery sticks, pretzels, apple slices, etc.

she also loves ranch dip in a small container with assorted veggies for dipping

have done it with leftover spaghetti sauce in a plastic container with cheese sticks for dipping, etc.

almost anything she can dip makes her happy
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I freeze yogurt for my kids lunches, that works out well since it's so hot during the first part of the school year. I also freeze grapes, my daughter really likes frozen grapes.

Apple slices w/ low-fat caramel or peanut butter
    peanut butter on tortilla (i just cut it up like a quesadilla)
    Cheese/chicken quesadilla (When I make quesadillas I make sure there are plenty of leftovers for lunches).

Another thing you could do is take the kids to the store and let them pick out a couple fruits/veggies - my daughter loves when I do that and she's more interested in trying it if she picks it out. :)
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    right now they have alot of grilled chicken, homeade pizza, wheat pasta with tomato sauce....usually warm stuff. I didnt realize a thermos would keep stuff like that warm, thanks!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    gogurt- freeze them the night before so its thawed at lunch time
    crackers

Another idea is to take a hot/cold thermos and heat up things like mac and cheese and put it in there, its always still warm by lunch.
  • Trezzy
    Trezzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a great lunch box ideas. I would totally check them out! They recommend like using other things instead of just bread like pitas or tortillas.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I pack my son the lunch I've cooked the day before most of the time. I know that may sound crazy but it works for us :) It's hard to pack school lunches but with time you'll find all kinds of great ideas!
  • kittyforet
    kittyforet Posts: 29
    Options
    my kids have taken the following for lunch, in addition to what others have listed....

spaghettios or spaghetti and meatballs

cheese and crackers with sliced lunch meat, apples with peanut butter

yogurt with fruit and granola or cheerios on top

cereal in a tupperware bowl and buy milk from the cafeteria (they think they're special to get to eat cereal instead of pb&j!)

pre-toasted english muffins topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese, (sometimes they top the muffins when they sit down to eat)

breakfast tacos with a side of fruit

waffle halves with a side of peanut butter or syrup, with a side of fruit and a go-gurt. (You can freeze the go-gurts and they thaw by lunchtime)

fruit bowl with dip (cut up fresh fruit; I make dip by combining 1 container strawberry fat free yogurt with 8 oz. fat free cool-whip) and frozen mozzarella sticks with marinara (they love to dip!)

low fat tortilla with shredded cheese and/or ham and cheese

rolled-up slices of ham and cheese/turkey and cheese with dippers like honey mustard, etc.

frozen fish sticks, chicken nuggets, or mini corn dogs (I put them in the lunch box frozen and they are thawed by lunch, the cafeteria at school has a microwave, so if they want them hot, they can heat them up)

pre-made mac and cheese with diced ham added

crescent hot dogs or pigs-in-a-blanket

graham crackers topped with ricotta cheese and a dab of sugar free jelly or graham crackers topped with peanut butter and bananas/pb&j
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I got my kids on my bandwagon. I told them that I was going to start eating healthy and that there were going to be changes and that they needed to communicate with me what items the liked and didn't like. Here are their options:

Sandwiches are turkey, chicken, or ham on whol grain bread or homemade pita bread with reduced fat cheese. Topped with tzatziki sauce, cucumbers, lettuce, and tomatoes.

Sides are pita chips or pretzels with hummus, homemade salsa, natural peanut butter or tzatziki sauce. Organic Greek yogurt - we like the Oikos brand. And a piece of fresh fruit.

Snacks are organic whole grain granola bars, cut veggies (including zuccini, carrots, and bell peppers).

Drinks are water and some juices.

I try to make as much as possible. I make their fruit snacks, breads, sauces, and most meats at home.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump..very interested in responses!