I have 10 hens and more eggs then I can handle... help me eat them!!

Options
13»

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I'd sell them on the egg black market. ;) Happy eggs are worth $3-5/dozen here, and people sell them either on kijiji (Canadian CL) or just word of mouth. My mom sold eggs all through my childhood (she did have about 50 hens, though, as we lived on a farm).

Oh lord this will be me soon. Hubby wants to expand to turkeys next year, and I am actively working to keep the goat at bay (I have heard stories of people heading out of the house in the morning and finding the goat standing on top of their car!). We have 8 acres... it started with a couple hens.. grew to hens and ducks... I hear rumors of turkeys coming...

Those aren't just stories of goats on cars. I've had goat all over on cars,og piles (we had a sawmill), on equipment, stacks of lumber you name it those things climb and eat(they love poison ivy).
    Younger hens are better layers, as are some breeds. We loved giving aracunas eggs away to people.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Vegetable slice, can be frozen. Six eggs to 3 cups grated veggies plus 1/2 cup door or oatmeal or breadcrumbs. Stir veggies into beaten eggs, mix in flour, then sprinkle cheese on top, bake 45 min at 180 Celsius
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    We have 4 hens, and when we have a "surplus" I use 1-2 dozen to make mini frittatas in a muffin tin w cheese, bacon & spinach (equals 1 egg per "muffin"). We eat the first dozen in a few days & can freeze extras.

My neighbors have a farm stand & get about $5-6 a dozen (we eat our own eggs). Someone at work sells them for $4 a dozen & their kids collect eggs & use the $ for their college savings - they have a working farm, though.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you're not already, mixing an egg into your dogs food is good for them.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @bossyblackdog Good ideas on here about giving them away, but this could also be the start of a small home business if you sell some of them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You might want to Google Passover desserts. Because so many leavening agents are forbidden on that holiday, egg whites are frequently used. This is a time when sponge cakes and other 6-12 egg recipes come into play. (Note: some of these recipes may call for matzo meal or matzo cake meal. That can be hard to find if you aren't in a Jewish area. If it calls for potato starch, corn starch will work.)

And here's a recipe for a breakfast/light dinner: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shakshuka-51220220
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos (any time!)- eggs, black beans, salsa, cheese all rolled up in a tortilla. Really good. Also look for bi bim bop- it's Korean I think- basically a big bowl w/rice on the bottom, different stir fied veg and pickley things (and meat if your into it) and it's topped off w/a soft fried egg so the yolk goes all over the other stuff and rice once you bust into it.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also custard desserts
  • lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm completely jealous. I would love to have chickens. My mom had them when she was growing up, but she refuses to get them now. :disappointed:

As for the eggs, why not make some gourmet dog biscuits? There are lots of people who like to pamper their pooch and you can make a fortune making gourmet dog cookies. (I dropped $20 on 6 dog biscuits for my spoiled dog).
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If nobody else has suggested : souffles are easy when you get the hang of them!
  • jlr_405
    jlr_405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would suggest selling them or you could even feed the extra eggs you don't consume to your flock. There is nothing wrong with it and they will love you for it. It will save you some cash in regards to feed you buy, just Make sure you crush and microwave the shells though. Good luck .