Any one else have stomach problems with Quest bars?

Options
They are absolutely delicious, but whenever I eat one, a few hours later I get bad stomach pains and I bloat. Not going to lie, makes me gassy too. I can't figure out why I have these issues with the Quest bar and not other protein bars.

:confused: What the heck man. Am I the only one with this?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I noticed that Quest bars have quite a bit of fiber. If your body's not used to dealing with that much fiber in one sitting, that could be the cause of the bloat you're experiencing.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What CafeRacer said... Typically, when starting to eat healthier, we go higher fiber foods. And, it takes a while to get used to it. I will never forget when I went high fiber from a high processed diet. Not fun. But, your body does get used to it. I promise :)
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    They use a sweetener that is low/no cals because it's basically straight fiber. Also I think they use sugar alcohols which can cause gas. Everyone raves about them so I went and got several different flavors they are way sickening sweet to me and taste like fake sugar, but to each his own and they have tons of protein.
  • lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I noticed that Quest bars have quite a bit of fiber. If your body's not used to dealing with that much fiber in one sitting, that could be the cause of the bloat you're experiencing.

Boo. I was eating them because I really need more fiber in my diet. Any suggestions? I have figs now and then, but I'm frankly getting sick of them. And lima beans.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lost_work7 wrote: »

Boo. I was eating them because I really need more fiber in my diet. Any suggestions? I have figs now and then, but I'm frankly getting sick of them. And lima beans.

Your body will adjust to increased fiber intake, as @Fit_in_Folsom said, but it takes time. I would suggest you slowly increase your fiber intake over a couple of weeks until your body is used to it.

Also, make sure you're not getting too much fiber overall. In many people, too much fiber (ie - well above the recommended daily allowance) can cause both constipation and bloating.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nah. I can eat...numerous, in a day lol.
  • knockingon40
    knockingon40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Made me bloated and miserable for a few hours after eating. Won't by those again.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They contain soluble corn fiber which can cause digestive distress in some people. The artificial sweetener they use is Not the fiber that they use. The fiber and sweetener are two different ingredients.

Article from Quest on the switch to soluble corn fiber:
    blog.questnutrition.com/benefits-of-soluble-corn-fiber/]
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    They use a sweetener that is low/no cals because it's basically straight fiber. Also I think they use sugar alcohols which can cause gas. Everyone raves about them so I went and got several different flavors they are way sickening sweet to me and taste like fake sugar, but to each his own and they have tons of protein.

Sweetener and fiber are two different ingredients.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I had to stop eating them for that exact reason :( . I eat other bars with just as much fiber so it's not that. The old Quest bars were fine, but as soon as they reformulated them it started for me. I assumed it was the sugar alcohols but perhaps it was the corn fiber.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What sugar alcohol is on it?
  • kimny72
    Options

Try other bars. There are a lot out there now with high protein and fiber, finding ones you like is hit or miss!

Outside of bars, I found beans & lentils add the most fiber to my day when I eat them. Whole grains and lots of veggies as well.
  • kimny72
    Options

I don't remember, it was a couple of years ago I had to dump them.
    Options

This lists which ones they use.

https://questnutrition.com/ingredients
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

berries have a good amount of fiber. I use psyllium husk powder and mix it with my oatmeal(I have to eat a high fiber low fat diet).oats. fitjoy bars have like 12-13g of fiber per bar and have decent amount of protein too and taste good. I think you have to order online though. they have high fiber breads on the market too
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep, i have the exact same problem.

I never had problems with them when they first came out though. it's strange.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

rainbowbow wrote: »

rainbowbow wrote: »

Not that strange. They have changed their formula at least once. Maybe more.