Plateau? Please Help.

Options
Help!

I've been working out consistently 5 x a week for an hour and I'm consuming only 1200 calories and it seems like I've hit a brick wall. I haven't lost anything in 3 weeks. In fact according to the scale I've gained almost 3lbs!

It's getting really frustrating cause I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing but not seeing any results, I'm even running 3 times a week which is something I never do but I can't seem to get over this hump! Is this a Plateau? How do I get over it so that I can start losing weight?

Thanks guys.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but it certainly sounds like you aren't eating enough (aka "starvation mode"). Your body is hanging on to every calorie because you aren't giving it enough fuel. Check out this thread from this morning where people posted some good info (I also posted my own woes with plateaus and starvation mode on that thread):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/292986-what-the-hell-is-going-on-help-please1
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Eat more on the days you run - cycle your calorie intake. 1200 calories a day is a very generic number and not useful for everyone.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I'm in the exact same boat. Reading this article now...
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    You HAVE TO eat your exercise cals back. I worked out my BMR to be around 2015. I then set a goal of 1700 per day to give myself a deficit. But I make sure I eat back my exercise calories. These calories often include 400 calories worth of protein shake after a workout because I feel like a pig trying to eat back what is sometimes more calories than I eat in a whole meal.

Also take a look at what you are eating. If you are not getting enough essential vitamins try adding a quality multi vitamin. This can really help your body get back on track.
  • MelisBee
    MelisBee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm looking into those articles and changing my calorie amount right now.
  • aprilaugustus
    Options
    You've been doing the same thing over too long. Your body has gotten use to it. Try to switch up the calories you eat, try eating 200 more or 200 less on different days and doing different workouts. If you do a lot of cardio, switch it up! Do more strength-training or weights. Add some yoga and toning in there too! If you do the same thing over and over again...your body gets use to it and doesn't use as much calories and energy to perform. Just like dancing.....do it so much, you'd know it by heart & it'd be a breeze to do! Good luck, xo