What to do when you get to your goal?

Options
katy2090
katy2090 Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hiya I'm katy and I was wondering what do you do when you reach your goal? Like how do you go back to normal after all your dieting without gaining the weight back? I know you should probably up your exercise but I'm confused on how you would begin to eat more because any time I eat over a certain amount of calories I feel guilty! So I don't know how in the future I would be able to eat normally also this is very urgent because I'm getting very close to my overall goal and I'm worried on what I should do. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• katy2090
    Options
    Oh right.. this is a lot harder that I thought it would have been. I don't know how I would continue with this amount of calories a day but I suppose I better get used to it!
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You won't gain all your weight back unless you start eating at a calorie surplus again.

When you reach your goal weight, set Myfitnesspal to calculate your maintenance calories and this is the amount you need to maintain your new weight.

You don't need to exercise more unless you want to. Doing so will earn you extra calories to eat for that day.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    You can eat more, but in a controlled way. When you're within a couple of pounds of your goal, add a 100 cals a day for two weeks. If you're still losing, add another 100 for another two weeks. Eventually, your weight will stay the same. That's your maintenenance calories. Your weight will still fluctuate by a few pounds so you'll want to establish a range of 3-5 lbs that you're comfortable in. If you lose or gain out of that range, you'll make an adjustment as needed. Congratulations for getting so close!
  • renervaldo2017
    renervaldo2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you consume calories as before, the weight will come back. You should take advantage of this new phase to re-educate yourself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You don't go back to your old ways (if those included eating at a calorie surplus). You also don't continue eating at a calorie deficit either. You need to determine an appropriate amount of calories to maintain your goal weight, and it helps to understand that maintenance is a range, not a single point. My maintenance range is 118-122. I fluctuate within that pretty regularly over the course of a month.

Some questions to help figure out how to approach this:
    You are losing weight today, yes?
    How much weight have you lost?
    Over what period of time?
    What rate of loss have you selected in MFP? 1 lb/week? 0.5 lb/week?
    Are you losing at that rate?
    What calorie target are you set at?
    How accurate is your logging, do you use a food scale?
    Do you eat back exercise calories?

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When you reach one goal make new goals.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The transition from the weight loss phase to the maintenance phase can take several months, as you experiment with calorie intake and figure out what new goals you'll want to start working on. Keep your regular weigh-in schedule and keep focused, and you'll be fine :)
  • alanderrick
    alanderrick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We manage what we measure. Just keep measuring and continue to be mindful of what you are doing. When you take your mind off it, the excess calories will slip back in. If a goal helps, set a goal of maintaining yourself for one full year. Be specific, measure, and assign a time to it. You could set a loftier goal if you like, such as running a specific marathon and then apply "SMART" to it. (google the term) I lost 40 pounds in '99 and have kept it off the years since by doing just this. Hope it helps.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    New normal? Unless you literally sit about doing nothing i highly doubt your calorie intake to lose weight is your "new normal"? The new normal is learning to eat properly and portion control.

I understand what she means by "new normal" at least for me I will never be able to go back to what was eating "normal" for me. Because it wasn't..it was too many calories for my body. If I went back to "normal" I would gain all my weight back. I will have a new "normal" and that will be setting up my goal to maintain and eating and logging within my calories.
  • katy2090
    Options
    I didn't think that it was that bad lots of people I know do it and I see it online all the time..
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether it's unhealthy (it is), a major reason not to do it is the exact problem you're having right now. You haven't built the habit of moderation that will help you keep it off. Better late than never. Let MFP set your calorie target, starting today.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Your posts show you probably have an eating disorder. You should see a doctor and a therapist that can help you with that. Food shouldn't be a source of guilt, and eating 800 calories a day is not healthy.

Good luck. Get healthy and take care of yourself.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend some sort of weight trend app. I use TrendWeight. It uses math (so you don't have to) to show your weight trend over time. Because weight fluctuates day to day it can be hard to tell if you're gaining/losing once you hit maintenance. Some sort of trending app can help you make sure your weight stays where you want it. You can also lose it for loss too!