Any tips for when you can't measure calories?

Options
Hi guys. My housemates are cooking dinner tonight and so I won't know how many calories are in the meal. I am really rubbish at estimating the weight of food by sight, and I haven't lived with them for long so I don't want to be the weird girl that demands to know everything that has gone into the meal!

Does anyone have any tips for what they do in this situation? I am only on day 4 and have 24lbs to lose so really don't want to have an off day this early on!

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Over estimate everything. If there is an ingredient you are trying to place ask a complimentary question like "oh this sauce is so creamy and delicious! What did you use to get it like this?" That will help you figure out the ingredients. Load up on veggies and salad too!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If there are items that you know are calorie dense (ie cheese, nuts, etc) then take a smaller portion of that. Load up on any salad and veg and a protein.

And also you can be like 'This is tasty. How'd you make it?' And act like you want to know the recipe to make it yourself.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    You could also hang out in the kitchen while they cook, and get an idea of the ingredients that way.

It's usually safe to choose a similar (high-calorie) restaurant entry to cover a homemade food.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I tell the person that it's delicious (I hope that it is, anyhow!) and ask for the recipe. ;)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. My housemates are cooking dinner tonight and so I won't know how many calories are in the meal. I am really rubbish at estimating the weight of food by sight, and I haven't lived with them for long so I don't want to be the weird girl that demands to know everything that has gone into the meal!

Does anyone have any tips for what they do in this situation? I am only on day 4 and have 24lbs to lose so really don't want to have an off day this early on!

Only on day 4?

Don't sweat it too much. You're going to suck at calorie counting at first. We all do. Check this out:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/3didtl/how_to_get_started_using_myfitnesspal/
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    You could also hang out in the kitchen while they cook, and get an idea of the ingredients that way.

It's usually safe to choose a similar (high-calorie) restaurant entry to cover a homemade food.

I like both of these ideas!

I don't think it is wrong to ask what is in it though. So many people have allergies these days, someone who is offended by the question would be weird!
  • LP_Std
    LP_Std Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could ask if they are following a recipe they found either online or in a book. If its an online one, you can import it directly into your food diary. If from a book, you can look it up and enter it later that evening. If neither of those are the case, you could use the food entry to search for something close to what they made for you like "shrimp and pasta". There are often generic entries other MFP users have entered which can be close approximations to utilize.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I try to find the ingredients used in a recipe, then try to remake the imitated serving with the mocked recipe.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

That's what I do.
  • littlebim14
    littlebim14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Hopefully it will be something relatively common, and I can look up a restaurant entry or something. I will be sure to overestimate though!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why not be honest with your roomies and say - hey, I'm trying to track my food - would you mind giving me the recipe so that i can figure out my calories

most roommates (in my experience) would understand and want to help you with goals
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Little portions !
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Hopefully it will be something relatively common, and I can look up a restaurant entry or something. I will be sure to overestimate though!!

And try not to worry too much about a meal once in a while if you can't get the count precisely right, it shouldn't make or break your week overall.