VivoSmart HR+ or FitBit Flex 2? -- SWIMMERS

Options
Hey all :)

I'm toying between the VivoSmart HR+ and the FitBit Flex 2 for a new activity tracker.

My activities: lap swimming 3-4 times a week, walking my dog two miles a day, occasional cardio class at the local Y, softball in spring/summer, part-time waitress, full-time teacher. Aside from the swimming part, I could get any activity tracker I'd dream of, but I love swimming as exercise so I need something waterproof.

The Flex 2 offers a swimming tracker and is thin, simple, and subtle in design, which I like. However, I hear FitBits are "junk" (not my words) and are often way off on their calories/steps/etc. The HR+ seems to be significantly more accurate, and of course comes with an actual screen, but has no swimming tracker and very mixed reviews. Both trackers claim to be waterproof, but of the tons of review-reading/youtube-watching I've been doing on these two, lots of people claim their HR+ is toast after swimming with it. They claim the tracker doesn't work consistently while in the water and that the HR monitoring is iffy at best (although HR monitoring really doesn't matter to me in a tracker). Even without swimming, some users claimed that their touch screen gave them many issues and had to send it back. This is off-putting, considering it's ~$175.

Basically, I'm stuck between the two, and would like to hear actual opinions of people who have used these two trackers and what their outcome was/is. I'm genuinely not sure which one to get, as I've heard so much variance in positives and negatives for each of these products.

I'd even be willing to hear out alternatives to trackers to better figure out how I'm doing in the pool. I guess I just don't trust telling MFP that I did --X minutes of "light/moderate" swimming-- and getting a seemingly random calories burned response.

My fellow swimmers: if you don't use either one, which one do you use?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you want to track swimming I'd veer towards either a Garmin Swim or one of their Tri watches; Forerunner 920XT or 735XT.

Both of the latter have all of the day to day activity tracking embedded, rather than buying two devices.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sadly I'm currently unable to swim, but if I were to take up swimming again I'd probably upgrade my Apple Watch to the series 2, which is both water proof and has swim tracking. It's a whole different price range though, so if you're not interested in any of the other functions of the Apple Watch it won't be worth it. I personally love my Apple Watch (series 1) though and have found it to be very accurate.

I also have the Moov. It's not so much an activity tracker as a coach, but for swimming it actually only records and analyses your swim. It gives you a complete breakdown of your laps (including pace, turn time, swimming time and number of stroke cycles). I counted my laps and it seems that it got it exactly right, and even recognised the kind of strokes I was doing. However, while it does have a daily activity tracker it doesn't work like any of the others (no step tracking) and I find myself only using it when exercising. It has some very fun workouts though (7 Minutes+ and Cardio Boxing), it has a very long battery life (4-6 months) and it's pretty cheap so it's worth checking out.
  • megs603x
    megs603x Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Garmin Swim or one of their Tri watches; Forerunner 920XT or 735XT

I know someone who has the Garmin Swim, I tried it out but was underwhelmed. I also have very small wrists, so the watch felt huge on my arm. That's why I was looking into 'smaller' ones. As for the Forerunners, holy hell they look wicked cool, but unless someone else purchases it for me, I don't see that happening. I'm sure it's well worth the price, but I just can't afford it.
    Both of the latter have all of the day to day activity tracking embedded, rather than buying two devices.

I wouldn't buy two devices; I was saying that if there's something cooler/better to use in the pool then I would just use that. When I made the comment about "if only I didn't swim"... I meant because if I didn't, then I wouldn't be so limited in my choices.

Thank you for your reply, though. I do appreciate it. Maybe you'd like to buy me one of those Forerunners :D:p

Naruya wrote: »
    I'd probably upgrade my Apple Watch to the series 2, which is both water proof and has swim tracking.

I've looked into it, but the price tag has me fearing for my life! Hahaha. I wouldn't use anything else that the Apple Watch is for, so it wouldn't be worth it.

Thinking I might just get the Flex 2. Has a swim tracker, under $100, good enough kind of feeling? Idk.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    My Fenix 3 does a good job tracking my swims. I got an HRM-Swim chest strap for it, so I record my heart rate in the water.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you want to track swimming I'd veer towards either a Garmin Swim or one of their Tri watches; Forerunner 920XT or 735XT.

Or the Vivoactive HR. That's what I use for swimming and it's very effective.

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you want a heart rate monitor, you won't have that capability in the water with any of the products named so far.

If lap counting is what you're after, consider a Pebble watch. They come in a variety of styles and you may find one that fits your wrist nicely. I started with one for lap swimming but because it didn't sync with Swim.com reliably, I returned it. But for basics, it counts laps well at a good price point.

I'm a fan of the Garmin Swim but understand if it's too much for your wrist. It's not very fashionable, either. Maybe consider as an option for swimming only?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Don't get a 920XT. It lacks running functions that are part of the Fenix 3 series.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    My Fenix 3 does a good job tracking my swims. I got an HRM-Swim chest strap for it, so I record my heart rate in the water.
    nuffer wrote: »
    If you want a heart rate monitor, you won't have that capability in the water with any of the products named so far.

Oh really?
  • niblue
    Options
    I've not found the lack of HR info when swimming to be an issue - I wouldn't mind having it, but it's quite an expensive option as the devices and HRM straps that can do it are pretty expensive.

I've been impressed how accurate the Vivoactive HR has been, not only at counting laps but also in figuring out what stroke I was using on each lap.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking for a tracker, Check out the Misfit Speedo Shine 2.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    IME, garmin's wrist-based HR tracking and subsequent calorie burns are less than impressive. At least on their activity trackers (no experience with it on their full-sized watches). If your desire is to track/estimate calorie burns (which is different from tracking activity), I would NOT go with the vivosmart. Mine has been collecting dust for a month... the one thing that it does do really well.
  • niblue
    Options
    There doesn't appear to be any noticeable difference between the HR readings from my Vivoactive HR using its optical sensor and from my Garmin 220 or 810 when using a chest strap. The other optical HR I had (a Microsoft Band) was also ok although was quite sensitive to how tight it was on your wrists - initially I wore it too loose and it was pretty inaccurate that way but when a bit tighter it also tracked reasonably well against my other devices. I don't to much short interval training though - apparently optical HR's aren't great for those type of activities.

Not that it's greatly relevant for swimming, giving none of them (and very few other devices) give you HR when swimming anyway!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    IME, garmin's wrist-based HR tracking and subsequent calorie burns are less than impressive.

The wrist-HRM in my Fenix 3 HR is terrible.
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yep I have the Vivoactive HR, I swim 6 days a week, works awesome for swimming and walking. What I love about it is you can see the map of where you walked and see your BPM on the entire walk and your pace. It has a lot of options. Worth the money.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »

Oh really?

Well yeah, not without a chest strap :smile:
    I've seen a few folks complain that their wrist HR doesn't work when swimming. Uh no, they don't.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    IME, garmin's wrist-based HR tracking and subsequent calorie burns are less than impressive. At least on their activity trackers (no experience with it on their full-sized watches). If your desire is to track/estimate calorie burns (which is different from tracking activity), I would NOT go with the vivosmart. Mine has been collecting dust for a month... the one thing that it does do really well.

Gave mine to my wife as a step tracker. In my opinion, that's all it's good for.

Bought a VivaActive HR and big difference in accuracy, compared to a chest strap. I really am making good use of this one. GPS, HR and waterproof. Not sure it works for swimming, but I don't swim.