BMI, an unreachable target ?

Options
I have started this trip back in November 2016, weighed in at 19st 4lb with a BMI of 42 and morbidly obese.
Now I am down down to a more respectable 17st 9lb with my BMI down to 36.4 and obese.
Now that I know and I am doing what I can but see I am a large framed fellow, wrists are 9" around so I know that for certain so the maximum I can be to stay "healthy" is 12st 2lb according to all the investigations I have done which I know is pretty much unobtainable.
Question is does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me not thinking it through properly ?

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • DomCraigKing
    DomCraigKing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    5' 9"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    Options
    You're still a ways away. Keep it going and reevaluate when you get closer. Even my wrists and feet got much smaller when I got to a healthy BMI.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't concern yourself with it until you get closer to that point. You'd be surprised just how much you can lose without looking emaciated.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Well, my wrists got smaller as I lost weight, I also lost an entire shoe size lol. Your perspective of what's attainable will change as you keep going further along in the process :)

Great job on your loss so far!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have seen BMI calculators which take frame size into account.

Perhaps this article would be of interest to you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree, both my wrists and feet got smaller as I lost weight. Not really length in the feet, but my shoes did get loose. Just keep at it and see where you are. BTW BMI is not really an individual thing, it is really meant for population studies. It can give a goal for you, but you will have to evaluate if that goal is appropriate as you get closer to it.

By the way, once you start thinking a goal is unobtainable the danger is that you will make it unobtainable even if it actually is obtainable.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Well BMI charts are only for the average population, bodybuilders and people with larger than average frames can show as overweight when they are actually at a healthy weight. I know a guy that has a very large frame for his height and lots of muscle, there's no way he would be healthy at his BMI chart "ideal" weight.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame (for a 5'5 woman) but still think I'll be able to reach the high end of the BMI range (I have been in it before). I do think though you'll probably end up in the high end of the range if you have a larger frame than say the low end.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is still in the "overweight" BMI range. I haven't been at the "healthy" range since 6th grade - lol. Follow your instinct - IMO, when you get to YOUR perfect weight you'll know.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Similar boat. I'm 6'. Started at 330, so morbid. Down to 263, so just barely Obese class II. But looking at what is a healthy BMI, that's max under 184 and I really don't see me getting there. My wrist size is about 8.25", which more than qualifies for a large frame (like @DomCraigKing ) and in doing some reading, means I should be looking at the normal range plus 10%

http://www.ehow.com/how_5591155_calculate-accurate-bmi-large-frame.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/298631-the-ideal-body-weight-for-large-boned-people/

So that would give me a max, healthy BMI of 202.5.

Now I'm not sure how accurate the 10% adjustment is, as it's a blanket 10%, but 200 seems much more attainable than 184. Might just be my mind set right now, as I'm a long way from either, but I think this makes sense.

Let me know if I'm out to lunch.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've got a couple more stone to go before you need to consider a goal weight really
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My Primary Care Physician wants me to aim for the BMI overweight range for my goal. He doesn't want me to try to lose more than that.

For anyone coming from morbidly obese, overweight is a huge improvement. Even the most effective weight loss surgery methods aim for losing 80% of excess weight which lands those successful people in overweight or obese.

Ultimately, we each need to find a weight that works for us and that we can maintain.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I thought I had skinny wrists until I lost my weight, then I had *really* skinny wrists. Not sure since I can't see your wrists, but some people have really fat wrists (like some have fat ankles) and you might drop a couple inches with weight loss.

Your frame size might be better measured using your elbow joint. It can be a pain to measure without another person doing the measuring and how much fat/skin/flab you have near your elbows.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My Primary Care Physician wants me to aim for the BMI overweight range for my goal. He doesn't want me to try to lose more than that.

For anyone coming from morbidly obese, overweight is a huge improvement. Even the most effective weight loss surgery methods aim for losing 80% of excess weight which lands those successful people in overweight or obese.

Ultimately, we each need to find a weight that works for us and that we can maintain.

My doctor told me the same thing - I think I can go a little lower, but we will see.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My husband is only about an inch taller than I am. I know what weight I need to be to hit the statistically healthy BMI; there's no way that's where he needs to be. He's kind of just got short legs - his torso and arm proportions would be at home on a guy a few inches taller.

BMI is one statistical measure. It's not the be all and end all of choosing a goal weight. Do something that seems reasonable, maintain it for a while, and know that you're MUCH better off than you were. You can adjust your goals later, if you want to.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am 5 ft 7 and wear a size 8-8.5 shoe..makes me large framed too yet I am still in a good BMI range..

the only people it doesn't apply to mainly are people like athletes etc.

5'7" with a size 8.5 shoe makes me large-framed???? I always thought I was completely average :smile: